• Tweets

• thread title updated. so a sold debt. who are the solicitors? TM legal? why didn't ovo do this themselves as they do but chose to sell the debt on for 10p=£1? funny debt you state you reived a letter of claim, why did you not reply too it.? also is there is no indication of the date this bill comes from on the claimform? how do you know its from 2022? what other previous paperwork have you received? please scan page 1 of the claimform and bothsides of ALL previous letters upto one mass pdf read upload carefully. .................. pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466952-lowelloverdales-claimform-old-cap1-debt/?do=findComment&comment=5260464 .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • Thank you again. I'm hoping it will come out in the wash and will endeavour to check my online account. I'm a bit unsettled by not hearing from Booking.com but the host is sounding helpful at the moment. HB
    • I've just remembered that a friend of mine had bookings cancelled on Booking.com about a month ago - and the good news is that all worked out in the wash. I'm at work now but will scribble properly in a couple of hours with the full tale.
    • Thank you Dave. I've had nothing from Booking.com, just a message via the site from the host. I know I need to check my bank account, just trying to resolve some technical issues. HB  
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Civil National Business Centre Name of the Claimant ? JC INTERNATIONAL AQUISITION How many defendant's  joint or self ? Self Date of issue – 22 May 2024  Particulars of Claim What is the claim for – 1. The def owes the claimant £300 in respect of gas and electricity charges supplied by OVO. 2. Debt was assigned to the claimant with notice given to the def. 3. Despite formal demand the def has failed to pay the debt and the claimant claims £300 and further claims interest pursuant to s69 of the CCA 1984. What is the total value of the claim? £385 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ? Yes   Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No   Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account? Energy debt When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ? After Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ? Moved home and they were the current energy supplier  Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax/Etc...) ? No Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim. Debt assigned to JC International Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Not sure probably  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor? Again can't remember but probably  Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ? No Why did you cease payments? Changed supplier What was the date of your last payment? Never  Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved? No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? No
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

There is no set time, however, it is good practice to call no earlier than 7am and no later than 9pm, but there is no law that says this is the case. There is a very good chance that they wont attend at all today.

I would use the time to do everything that you can to get the council to take this back, and also point out to the concil that you have next years liability as well and that if you cant sort it out then you will be unable to pay next years as well. The real reason that Council's use Bailiffs is that they do not cost them anything!!

SFx

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just getting bored now of waiting for them explained to everyone in the house if i go out not to answer door or talk to anyone they dont know. the letter they sent me had on or before todays date they would turn up knowing my luck they come tomorrow when not expexting them

It's really horrible but you have to expect them every day until the council take it back.

When the bailiffs hand it back, it's called a Nulla Bona, (think that's right) and they get paid for it.

So your job is to make that the most profitable option for them.

Chris.

The following is a template letter from our website that I have adapted to suit your circumstances. I would recommend that this be sent by e-mail IMMEDIATELY and by registered mail.

NOTE: This letter can be adapted to suit your own circumstances and could be used to advise the company that you are aware of your rights and that you will not permit the bailiff peaceful entry into your home to levy distress on your goods, but that you are willing to pay the debt by affordable instalments.

To:

Bailiff Company

Dear Sirs,

Re: Account reference.

I refer to your letter dated (enter date)informing me that your company have been instructed by (enter local authority) to enforce a liability order against me, in respect of unpaid council tax.

In your letter, you state that you will be visiting/returning to my home to (seize/auction etc my goods.)unless full payment of (enter amount) is made by return.

The purpose of this letter is to advise your company that I am aware of my rights, and I am aware also that in order for you to remove goods from my home you must previously have levied upon those goods. Your company are aware that no levy has ever been made and therefore you have no right to threaten me with removal of my goods in the manner described in your letter.

I would also like to inform your company that I will not allow one of your bailiff's peaceful entry into my home. I would also like to make you aware that I live in rented accomodation and with the exception of modest personal items, all of the furniture etc is the property of our landlord. Proof can be provide if required.

I would like to make it clear that I am not refusing to pay this debt, but I am unable to pay the entire debt at this present moment. Instead, I would like to offer to repay this liability by way of monthly payments of (enter amount). If this is not acceptable, then could you please return my account to the local authority and I will make payments direct to them instead.

I am aware that under the Council Tax Administration & Enforcement Act 1993 (as amended), you can charge a first visit fee of £24.50 and a second visit fee, if necessary, of £18.00. No further visit fees can be imposed.

I would be grateful if you could confirm safe receipt of this letter and confirmation also that either my payment proposal has been accepted or that my account is to be returned to the local authority.

Yours Faithfully.

just gone on their website fpound out how much i owe not as much as i thought but am going to pay council have wrote a letter and sent it waiting reply starting paying in the morning before i hear back from them.feeling alot more confident today about the whole matter im now feeling that i can sort this out with your helps of course but thanks for making me feel that i can deal with the bailiff in a positive way and not to let them bully me

Unfortunately I have been in exactly the same position but got through with very good advice from CAB and the internet (didnt find this forum till later). The council at 1st wouldn't take back the debt and the bailiffs were wanting payment in full! and wouldn't take on any payment arrangements whatsoever! So I had no choice but to ride it out, I sent a letter to the council telling them that I am willing to pay off the debt with instalments I can realistically afford and even though they didnt want to accept them I sent them anyway through their automated payment line, (they cannot refuse it then) and kept up those payments. Eventually the bailiffs got the message, they were not getting in my house and eventually passed the debt back to the council. Its hard going at the time, as everytime you hear the door knock you think its them, I also had to tell my daughter to not open the door at all and make sure everything was locked. So keep your chin up, you can and will get past this, just a matter of riding it out!

theit address and mina at top

in big red letter removal of goods

council tax debt thanet district council

your debt remains outtanding despite our previous applications for payment

accordingly i will be calling ,with transportation to remove your goods during the course of the coming week. goods will be removed whether you are present or not with the ploice in attendance if necessary.

when seizing your goods i will need to remove sufficent to cover the costs of removal and tp clear your debt at public auction. this very significant costs of removal contractors and auctioneers will be deducted from the proceeds of the sale of your goods

if you wish ,even at this late stage to avoid these distresssing and costly actions contact me on this number

yours faithfully

a ******

not his name but might as well be

name of bailiff

yes but think bailiffs office are a set of useless tossers mind my french computer generated letter sent through post date bailiff should have called here its gets even better they cant spell my name on the letters and im wondering if its spelt wrong on the liability order as well

I've got a feeling that won't help, but I'm not sure....

A distress shall not be deemed unlawful on account of any defect or want of form in the liability order The Council Tax Regulations 1992

Although if it was a civil debt, it'd be wrong.

Hmm, have you made tt aware of that?

I'd pm her with your name spelt correctly and the one they've used and ask her if it makes any difference.

This is the only time I agree with pm's, generally I see them as a bad thing, unless they're used to exchange personal or sensitive info that could be misused by others..................

Chris.

If you read tt's letter you'll see the bit where it says no goods can be removed unless a levy has been made; which it hasn't.

That's the trouble with these bailiffs, they will tell you stuff that isn't true with a straight face. Worse still, they know it isn't true but to hear them say it you'd think they'd read it off a stone tablet.

Chin up,

Chris.

As I have said on previous posts, there is clear case law on this point. In order to REMOVE goods, bailiff's must first have "LEVIED" upon goods. They can then RETURN to remove in the event that you have not kept to the terms agreed when signing the Walking Possession Agreement.

Always remember that a bailiff will NOT simply levy on goods, sign a Walking Possession agreement and then walk away.

A Walking Possession agreement is an agreement NOT to immediately remove those goods. It is the bailiff's "security" that allow's for him to RETURN back to your home and REMOVE those goods listed in the event that you do not keep to the payment arrangement PREVIOUSLY agreed with him.