ATM Dispute With Barclays. They may have told pork pies

Isiris
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I thought I would let you guys know of something that happened to me earlier in the year (August)

I went to an old Barclays bank that has now closed but does have an ATM machine. I went to withdraw £220. I received an error message on the screen saying, "There was a problem with this transaction, your account has not been charged with this withdrawl. Please try again"

So I did and got the exact same message. There was a que and I was in a rush so mentioned to the woman behind me Its not playing ball.

I then went to the next ATM in my car and was bamboozled to find I had been charged the £220 withdrawl. I telephoned my bank when I got home that night (Natwest) and they said will you wait until Tuesday and see if our systems have updated, if not, go to your branch.

Nothing happened so I went to my branch (Im a bit of a regular) and filled in an ATM claim form. The manager said they have 10 days to reply to their ATM dispute centre.

I went back 3 weeks later and they had heard nothing. I said well Im sorry its not good enough to which they said "We will put £220 in your account but its on the undersatnding then when this is resolved, you pay us back"

No Problem

Anyway, 3 weeks later I had a call to go in and was told that following 2 investigations, Barclays had got back and said, There was only one error on the machine that day, my first one and that the machine had balance" The manager said she had no choice but to take the money back.

So I wrote directly to Barclays myself and asked for a breakdown of the machine, how often it is reconciled, what are the normal variances with the machine. They replied saying that because I was not a Barclays customer, I would have to raise a claim with Natwest. They obviously hadnt read a word of my letter so I raised a claim in the County Court with both the Natwest and Barclays as defendants.

NOW THIS IS WHERE IT GETS INTERESTING

I claimed the £220, £76 in damages which were the charges I had on my account that month plus interest and costs. Now Barclays didnt acknowledge the claim so I got a judgement by default. However, Natwest filed a defence.

In the Natwest defence, they said they had asked LINK who manage the main ATM network about the machine and they were told that on that day, There was 5 (Five) error reports on that machine in succesion and at 18:31 (13 minutes after my transaction) Link turned the machine off. They had checked there logs and none of my transactions had been dispensed and none of the next 3 customers either.

So how come Barclays never mentioned this???

I received a cheque from Barclays for the money

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth

Hi Isiris,

I've said this a few times recently for various reasons.

I've been a member for just under a year now. In that time, I've seen and heard enough to make me NEVER AGAIN believe anything the banks or their solicitors say.

Thanks for this report which I'm sure others will find interesting and useful.

Slick

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Seems you agree with the BBC, Isisris. ;) None the less I have modified your title slightly, just in case it is read as possibly libellous.

Well done

Lol gizmo

(Even though I have the letter from them saying no problem and the error report from link :) :) :) )

No problem

Whatever I post is my opinion and should be taken as such, an opinion. While it is what I believe and is offered in good faith, it should not be taken as a statement of truth