DLC asking for wrong amount

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5961 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

OK, short story is I was in dsipute with Direct Line over cancellation of a policy.

Have been using Financial Ombudsman, but that dosen't really make any difference.

Long and short of it is I'ver decided to pay up. Just had a letter from Direct Line explaining all the reasons and why I'm due £331.

However, DLC are asking for £431 without explanation that I can finf for the extra £100.

Also, I already sent them £50...they have not subtracted that amount from the account or acknowledged payment. They have simply sent me a request for income and expenditure.

So, how do I handle this?

Do I have to send them the income and expenditure thing...honesty is I could pay off the whoe lot on my Credit Card if I wasn't going on Hols in 3 weeks...but I need to sort out the amount first?

Any suggestions on what sort of letter I can write to them?

Thanks.

If you have received a letter from Direct Line as the original creditor then deal with them and with them only.

If you have sent DLC £50 then tell Direct Line what you have done and subtract £50 from their demand. It will be up to Direct Line to recover that amount from DLC.

If DLC start harrassing you tell them to feck off.

update

thanks, I've now recieved a letter from Direct Line following on from my complaint to the ombudsman. they claim to have sent me a letter in august, which, funnily enough, never came!

anyway i sent them a letter to tell them i'm happy to pay the remaining £281 over 5 instalments which equates to approx the amount i was paying monthly for the car insurance (therfore it must be fair amount?)

i also asked them to confirm it was a legal debt and could i have a copy of the consumer credit act i signed please

on topof that i've sent a CCA letter to DLC as well...hopefull this will get this monkey off my back for my hols later this month?

Its unlikely that Direct Line will have a signed credit agreement and you would be wasting time and money asking DLC for it.

As suggested previously write to Direct Line telling them what you have done and that from now on all payments will be made to them. Tell DLC the matter in dispute and no longer has anything to do with them. Ask DLC and Direct Line to confirm the £50 you sent to DLC has been handed over. If not ask why not and ask for their complaints procedure.

• Haha 1

another update

took the advice, DLC seem to have backed down and said they have passed my request onto Direct Line

I sent the letter recorded delivery to direct line saying I'd pay them over the 5 instalments and this was subject to the debt being a legal debt, i.e. they are able to provide a signed copy of the consumer credit agreement

haven't heard anything back yet, just about a week, if they can't produce a signed cca shoud i tell them i will not pay them as it is not a legal debt?

Repsponse from Direct Line - are they playing dirty now?

Received a letter from them today. They say that I spoke to Janet in their accounts department yesterday. What? I did not - why would they say this??

They aso say that their accounts department is arranging a copy of the CCA for me. By my reckoning they have until Monday 21st January to get this to me, they will then be in defaut?

They have asked me to telephone their Accounts Department to arrange payments. Hmmm, I told them in my last letter (sent recorded) I would only communicate in writing.

Am I being paranoid or are they up to something????????

Anyway I've drafted a letter saying that

(a) I will only correspond in writing, I will not phone their accounts department

(b) there has been no such communication

© I will pay them back the amount subject to them providing the CCA I requested on 31st January. I also stuck in the I DO NOT ACKNOWLEDGE ANY DEBT TO YOUR COMPANY line.

They have said that this letter is their final response. I beieve they have done this as I think I get 3 months to take the matter further with the Ombudsman, where I complained originally.

It feels like I need to be careful here - please advise?

Nothing to advise on, if you're waiting for a CCA then you need to be patient and continue to wait. either they will produce one (I doubt it) or they will show that the debt is not governed by the CCA and make further demands.

I reckon if you can get a reasonable repayment plan with Direct Line IN WRITING, take the opportunity and get them off your back. Make sure everything is documented and demand a letter stating that the debt is now paid in full and no further action will follow.

If you read through this forum, you will see often that debts may take years to sometimes come back to bite you