British Credit Trust forged my signature

cavey01uk
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5700 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, BCT (British Credit Trust) have been trying to get a return of good order against me for my car finance for the past several months, but the Judge has adjourned the case 3 times up to now pending a claim on my PPI policy. :|

Anyway, yesterday whilst making sure all my paperwork was all in order, I discovered that on my original HP agreement and a top up loan, there was only my signature there. On copies of the agreements that BCT had sent to me about a months after I bought my car, they had added their signature to the agreements and when I looked at my signature, there appeared to be something odd about it. It's only by chance that I spotted this irregularity, what a very lucky find it appears to be.

I then scanned it into my computer and enlarged it to A4 size, to my amazement the signature is clearly different from how I sign mine, the way some of the letters have been formed look completely different and even more amazingly they had been signed with a different coloured pen. :-x

As soon as I've finished here I'm going to telephone the police and report the crime and get some advice from Consumer Direct.

I believe that I have good grounds to ask the Judge to dismiss BCT's claim for the return of our car, as the agreement should be voided. :grin:

If you are sure you didnt sign these documents and can prove the signatures are forged then definately report it to the police. To be fair the average uniform cop may not want to know so if you find any reluctance ask to speak with a CID officer

If you are sure you didnt sign these documents and can prove the signatures are forged then definately report it to the police. To be fair the average uniform cop may not want to know so if you find any reluctance ask to speak with a CID officer

Tried that but they don't seem very helpful, I have talked to a solicitor, Consumer Direct (who seem to be the most helpful, but not enough to help me out)

i had they same thing with a finance company well known to the forum.

i got a forensic graphologist to do a report, cost £250

but well worth it

just playing a waiting game now

Hi, how long ago did you have the report done, what were the circumstances, and what stage are you at now? I'm in court on the 9th of next month to fight to keep my car. :eek:

I then scanned it into my computer and enlarged it to A4 size, to my amazement the signature is clearly different from how I sign mine, the way some of the letters have been formed look completely different and even more amazingly they had been signed with a different coloured pen. :-x

I believe that I have good grounds to ask the Judge to dismiss BCT's claim for the return of our car, as the agreement should be voided. :grin:

If you admit you signed the credit agreement you have at home, then why wouldn't the court enforce the agreement you admit you signed?

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

You need to report a crime. Get a crime number. It will get acted on then. Did you get past the desk office (civilian?) or was this on the telephone (civilian?).

I eventually got hold of CID, they told me it was a civil matter, so they couldn't help. :eek:

It isn't - trust me. Ring up the main number of your police force. Ask to speak to the Chief Superintendent in charge of complaints. (They will be located at the force's main HQ). Tell them that you wish to make a complaint. When you're through that section ask to speak to a Chief Inspector or Inspector as you wish to make a complaint against the Force's refusal to investigate an allegation of fraud. Also say that you would like your complaint referring to the Police Authority's Complaints Committee. They will ask a few questions and things should start to move...:)

It isn't - trust me. Ring up the main number of your police force. Ask to speak to the Chief Superintendent in charge of complaints. (They will be located at the force's main HQ). Tell them that you wish to make a complaint. When you're through that section ask to speak to a Chief Inspector or Inspector as you wish to make a complaint against the Force's refusal to investigate an allegation of fraud. Also say that you would like your complaint referring to the Police Authority's Complaints Committee. They will ask a few questions and things should start to move...:)

Thanks for that suggestion, I'll give it a try tomorrow. :grin:

• 2 months later...

Just to keep every body posted.

I have written to BCT and received a reply dismissing my accusation, to which I replied to this by writing to them again, pointing out my complaint and that they must have misunderstood what I meant. It's now nearly 2 months since I last wrote to BCT, and up to now, I've not received a reply.

I also wrote to Carcraft, they replied stating that they couldn't do anything as it’s a Police matter.

I have today, contacted the Chief Superintendent at my local Police Force's HQ, to which I have finally received a reply, stating that they are going to look into this.

I were in court a couple of weeks ago, the strangest thing happened, no one turned up to represent BCT, so the judge threw it out.

It's been suggested to me, that there may be a breach of the Consumer Credit Act, due to the fact that the signatures have been forged in order to get the agreement through.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what I should when this comes to the next stage?

Thanks in advance, Dean. :confused:

Personally, I would also bring the matter to trading standards attention.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I suspect that fraudulent completion of applications is rife.

OH needs to change from her current sports car to something more practical for her new business. Yesterday we went to look at cars at one of NI's biggest main dealers, with the intention of getting an idea of what might be possible and then building it into the business plan. So keen was one salesperson that she offered various discounts and goodies if OH would agree the deal immediately. We pointed out that we were not in a position to do that, largely because OH's business hasn't started yet so she has no income. "Don't worry about that", said the girl, "we can still put it through for you." I asked how, and she told me that she'd use a figure that she knew would get finance approval, because 'they never check'. We walked away.

It struck me though, that many people might fall for this sort of thing, perhaps inflating earnings figures if not just inventing them. Of course, if it all goes wrong, it's the applicant who gets the fallout, not the salesperson.

I suspect that fraudulent completion of applications is rife.

OH needs to change from her current sports car to something more practical for her new business. Yesterday we went to look at cars at one of NI's biggest main dealers, with the intention of getting an idea of what might be possible and then building it into the business plan. So keen was one salesperson that she offered various discounts and goodies if OH would agree the deal immediately. We pointed out that we were not in a position to do that, largely because OH's business hasn't started yet so she has no income. "Don't worry about that", said the girl, "we can still put it through for you." I asked how, and she told me that she'd use a figure that she knew would get finance approval, because 'they never check'. We walked away.

It struck me though, that many people might fall for this sort of thing, perhaps inflating earnings figures if not just inventing them. Of course, if it all goes wrong, it's the applicant who gets the fallout, not the salesperson.

Obviously I try to buy cars in all the wrong places. They type my details into the computer

THE COMPUTER SAYS NO:o

A breach of the Consumer credit act is not the only offence - in fact I'd say that was trivial compared to other offences...

There is the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 - look at the bit about instruments

There is also the Fraud Act 2006. Several offences there.

If they tried to present that dodgy agreement to a court then there is the offence of perverting the cause of justice.

I think you won't hear any more from BCT.

A breach of the Consumer credit act is not the only offence - in fact I'd say that was trivial compared to other offences...

There is the Forgery and Counterfeiting Act 1981 - look at the bit about instruments

There is also the Fraud Act 2006. Several offences there.

If they tried to present that dodgy agreement to a court then there is the offence of perverting the cause of justice.

I think you won't hear any more from BCT.

Im 100% sure the OP wont here any more from BCT if the signature is forged. However it would be a shame if they were to escape the sword of justice. Lets hope a peeler with a terrier like attitude sees this complaint through to a Court Case against BCT

• 7 months later...

My wife & I have recently had a terrible experience with a cowboy builder in the Birmingham area. He walked off a kitchen refit job claiming payment of 3 invoices - 1 for an unfinished job, 2 where we didn't agree the price. He left a number of jobs unstarted for which we had all signed estimates.

It went to Court, & we thought it would be straightforward as all the evidence was in our favour. However 6 days before the Hearing he produced loads of forged documents - letters that were never sent, a "Terms of Commencement" including payment terms we had never agreed with a copy of my signature on it, estimates with copies of my signature added & much more. The signatures appear to have been copied & pasted from letters I sent rather than being direct forgeries (I think).

The Judge bought his story hook line & sinker & ruled in his favour on all counts! He basically has a licence to extort any amount of money from anyone he likes. What can you do about a clever crook like that?! We're looking at an Appeal but don't have our hopes up, also it could be expensive.

We thought we could prove the forgeries by looking at his original documents at the Hearing, but his excuse for not being able to produce the originals was claiming that I only gave him photocopies. We think he's done this before.

i got a forensic graphologist to do a report, cost £250 but well worth it

postggj do you have their details? They may be able to help.

Any other advice would be gratefully received

I'd love to be able to name "my Enemy" but for legal reasons I probably can't.

"Art is an Enemy" - Roger Taylor

Edited by Paul Hewson
correcting html

"Art is an Enemy" - Roger Taylor