Drove off before ticket issued

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6000 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have not posted here before and Im looking for a bit of advice.

I parked outside a shop to collect some toys today. It was an Early Learning Centre and I had bought some heavy toys for Christmas.

The usual routine with the shop, which doesn’t offer parking, is to purchase the items and then return by car to collect them by parking right outside the store (out of the way of the traffic). I did this but when I collected the goods from the shop and stepped outside to my car, a council ‘parking ambassador’ was writing out a ticket. I opened my boot and showed him that I was simply collecting purchases and that this was the usual routine with the shop for heavy items. He pointed to a ‘no loading’ sign and was having none of it.

To be honest, I hadn’t noticed whether parking was restricted by double yellow lines or by a no loading sign but told him I had only been there a matter of minutes. and that the shops in that row all run similar policies for collecting heavy items.

He ignored my protestations so I told him I was going to drive off. I got in the car and did exactly this. He said nothing.

I left the shop assistant holding two purchases in the street! I parked up somewhere else and was about to return to the shop when I noticed the attendant and another attendant were stood waiting for me – a good 15 minutes after I had driven off! So, I rang the shop and asked them to keep hold of the things for me. They agreed.

I understand that, because a ticket was not given to me or put on the windscreen, then a valid notice can’t be issued. Is this correct? I ask because I understand that there are about to be new changes to the law under the Traffic Management Act 2004. I understand that this allows notices to be issued through the post and that some areas issue notices as a result of CCTV footage.

I know that it is a strict liability offence but I really wouldn't have parked there if I'd thought there would be any question of a ticket. The shops, including a Sony Centre, always ask their customers to collect outside and I have done it before and just assumed it would be ok.

Anyway, I would be grateful for any information you have.

Cheers

Debs

It may be worth informing all the shops involved in this collection arrangement,pointing out that if the traffic wardens are no longer using common sense, then the shops are going to loose a lot of trade.Nothing better than irate shopkeepers attacking the council because their profits are being cut.

London councils can issue CCTV PCNs.

Parking Attendant issued PCNs must either be affixed to the vehicle or handed to the driver. They cannot be later posted.

Traffic Warden parking tickets (FPNs) can be posted later.

If are sure it was a parking attendant, then you should be in the clear