• Tweets

• My wife is the named person to his bank account with him having Dementia being his daughter (I say named person she still is but he recently passed away and the deputyship application has now being stopped by the solicitor as it's no longer needed) We've only just got the Death Certificate so the bank will be the next step informing them. She went to the bank and explained the situation but even being his named person the bank said she didn't have the power to stop DD without any legal documents (virgin money) was the bank. She could have copies of bank statements that was about it.
    • I see you said you tried to stop the DD but it seems that didn't work. May I please ask why that didn't work? You should be asking your bank to cancel the DD and I don't see why they would have objected, hopefully you can clarify this. I agree that you should be making a claim here against your bank and ask them for a DD refund. There is no timeframes for this.
    • Thanks DX,   I wasn't aware we could do that for that length of time. I'll ask my wife to check with the bank this week
    • Yeah That's correct. We left rent payment coming out of his bank account from January 2023 - August 2023 until we could find somewhere to sort out his belongings which was fine. I tried to give notice a few times from August 2023 asking for advice from Sanctuary housing how we went about this explaining his condition and that he was in a Nursing home from December 2022. I explained we don't have any legal powers to his account like POT but were in the process of going for Deputyship and that I was the named person to act on his behalf to speak with Santuary housing. I said we could provide details of his condition and proof he was now in a nursing home with date he moved in. This went ignored despite repeated attempts to contact them until a housing manager contacted us end of February 2024 and notice was finally accepted with his tenancy coming to an end March 22 2024. Although they have continued to take rental payments for the flat despite someone else living in it from the 1st April. I wasn't aware payments were still being taken till I checked his May banks statements. I had asked them to back date rental payments to August 2023 when I gave notice rather than just giving notice in March 2024 but they've ignored that bit. I don't see why they shouldn't give it back they've taken money they shouldn't have.
    • go do a Direct Debit Guarantee Clawback to your bank if you've now got control of his bank account finny.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

new holiday entitlement

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6004 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh yes. You are now entitled to 24 days (going up to 28 in April I believe) which means you can get paid for bank holidays as well as having 20 days a year holiday.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Oh yes. You are now entitled to 24 days (going up to 28 in April I believe) which means you can get paid for bank holidays as well as having 20 days a year holiday.

we thought that but our boss said we are only allowed 15 days plus bankholidays also we have been employed with company for nearly 3 years and have not been given contract.what happens if bank holiday falls on weekend do they owe us a day.thankyou for advice

Under the Working Time (Amendment) Regulations 2007,from 1 October 2007 all workers have a statutory right to at least 4.8 weeks paid annual leave (that's 24 days paid holiday if you work five days a week).This entitlement will increase again to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009.

those working part-time are entitled to the same level of holiday pro rata (so 4.8 then 5.6 times your usual working week

You start building up holiday as soon as you start work

Your employer can control when you take your holiday

You get paid your normal pay for your holiday

When you finish a job, you get paid for any holiday you’ve not taken

Bank and public holidays in Britain can be included in your minimum entitlement

Although many workers take time off work on bank and public holidays, your employer is not required by law to allow you time off work on these days. However, the terms and conditions of your contract of employment may give you this right, either with or without pay.

There are special rules for shop-workers in England and Wales who work in large shops (over 280 square feet). If you work in one of these shops, you must be given Christmas Day off, regardless of which day it falls on. However, whether or not you will be paid will depend on your contract of employment.

Ask your employer for a copy of your contract, you have a right to have a written contract and he can not refuse to give you one.

• Haha 2

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales

Although many workers take time off work on bank and public holidays, your employer is not required by law to allow you time off work on these days. Unless the employee works for a bank of course. And be paid.

Ask your employer for a copy of your contract, you have a right to have a written contract and he can not refuse to give you one.

Not true.

A written contract of employment is not obligatory and an employer is well within their right to refuse one.

What must be provided is a Written Statement Of Employment Particulars.

This is not the same as an employment contract and to advise otherwise is misleading to those who are unaware.

we all had contracts to read and sign and then they took them back we did ask for copies but did,nt recieve them, this new holiday entitlement means we must see what our contract reads. our superviser has seen contract with 15 days and additional holiday.

i have been on 28 days paid leave plus bank holidays for nearly three years now. i think this will certainly improve things a bit, but would be even better with a minimum wage increase for those really suffering

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

i think every workplace uses its own variation on these holiday entitlements. it's a bit of a minefield at the mo'

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Written Particulars – Section 1 Employment Rights Act 1996

Under the Employment Rights Act 1996, after 2 month’s service all employees are entitled to a written statement of terms and conditions of employment. This is usually incorporated into a contract but a contract is not a necessity. The statement of terms and conditions must contain the following information as a minimum:

The names of the employer and the employee

The date on which employment began and when continuous employment began (for example any previous employment which counts towards continuous service)

The rate of pay, intervals of payment and any other benefits

The hours of work

The holiday entitlement

The place of work and the address of the employer

The job title and a brief description of the role

The period for which employment (if temporary) is expected to continue

Any collective agreements affecting terms and conditions (for example employment issues pre-agreed between employer and trade unions affecting all workers)

Terms relating to sickness, notification of sickness, pay relating to this period and rules relating to statutory sick pay (alternatively, the employee may be referred to another document where these terms are set out, provided that the document is readily accessible)

Pension arrangements or the lack of them, including whether a contracting out certificate (where the organisation has opted out of the government scheme) is in force or not

Length of notice employee is entitled to receive or required to give to terminate employment or, where this is not set out, the statement must refer the employee to the collective agreements or the law governing notice

Disciplinary rules and procedure and appeals procedure and grievance procedure (alternatively, the employee may be referred to another document where these are set out, provided that the document is readily accessible)

Additional details of terms and conditions for employees working outside United Kingdom for longer than one month

I did not use the term written statement of employment particulars because some people would not understand the meaning yet everyone will understand written contract and after all its basically the same thing in reality and just a wording in law but will be more careful in future.

we all had contracts to read and sign and then they took them back we did ask for copies but did,nt recieve them, this new holiday entitlement means we must see what our contract reads. our superviser has seen contract with 15 days and additional holiday.

Ok ANDENA, in that case your written contract is in force and you should have been given a copy of it to keep.

If you want your contract but don't wish to rock the boat may I suggest you ask for a copy and say you are taking out an income protection policy and the insurers want a copy of it.

Everybody has a contract of employment when they start work and may only ever be verbal. However, yours is written so you have every right to a copy in any case.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All

I'm just wondering why the TUC seems to have fought for many workers to have less holidays than before?. If I have 24 paid holidays a year, but no right to being paid for the 8 bank holidays that makes 16 days in my book, how is that better than 20 days plus bank holidays?. surely many employers are simply going to renegotiate with their employees!.icon13.gif

Can somebody please tell me the logic of this.

Thanks!.

It never was 20 days plus bank holidays, the 20 days were including the bank holidays.If you mean that you used to have 20 plus the bank holidays and your employer down graded them, then if you never agreed to this it would be a breach of contract.

Hope this cleared it up for you.

cal is right. the reasons that the trade unions fought and won for the additional holidays is because some employers soon spotted the loophole whereby they discovered that they could include bank holidays in the 20 days which was never the intention.

now, (or by 1-4-09) all employers will have to pay 28 days per annum. no one will lose out because your holisays will go up to this level, not down?!

so theres the logic and everyones a winner!:)

regards,

paul.