Selling laptops and desktop computers

techboy11
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6054 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have my own IT company, but have been looking at branching into selling laptops and desktop computers to my clients. I'm totally new to sales of goods etc and just wondered if a few of you could clear things up. This is what I want to do - firstly buy the laptop from a company at discount prices, then sell the laptop to consumers with a cost plus on top of what I paid for the laptop.

Firstly is this a popular way of selling computers? Secondly where do I stand with guarantees and warranties. I have bought the goods off a company so everything will be in my name, how do I transfer everything into the consumers name or do I just give them the warranty that I had and invoice them with the cost of the product? Is the invoice proof enough that goods have been changed hands and that the product is now theirs?

If the warranty is for six months does that mean that after six months the consumer can no longer come back to me with any faults?

Lots of questions in there, I would be obliged if someone could put me on the right track!

Many thanks

Hi, we dabbled in selling on PCs and laptops a couple of years ago and gave up due to the fact that PC World and the like could supply better spec machines for less money than we could actually buy them for. I will say nothing about their after sales service etc etc but it just wasn't cost effective. OH does still do the odd bespoke computer but mostly does networking and repairs.

As far as the warranty thing goes, the suppliers we used would honour the warranty as they knew we were selling on to third parties. but the warranty we offered was only as good as theirs.

Unless you can source good quality machines and make a profit by matching the prices charged by the big boys (including now of course the supermarkets) then I think you are better off using your skills rather than trying to sell the hardware.

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Let me just caveat - I'm still half asleep. Someone please correct me if I've stumbled anywhere...

Secondly where do I stand with guarantees and warranties. I have bought the goods off a company so everything will be in my name, how do I transfer everything into the consumers name or do I just give them the warranty that I had and invoice them with the cost of the product? Is the invoice proof enough that goods have been changed hands and that the product is now theirs?

If the warranty is for six months does that mean that after six months the consumer can no longer come back to me with any faults?

The Sale of Goods Act will apply differently to each individual customer's situation. Generally speaking though, the 'six month rule' is that if the product develops a fault within the first six months, it is assumed to be an inherent fault, and the buyer can rescind the contract or receive reparation.

(3) For the purposes of subsection (1)(b) above goods which do not conform to the contract of sale at any time within the period of six months starting with the date on which the goods were delivered to the buyer must be taken not to have so conformed at that date.

The Sale of Goods Act, however, doesn't just 'cut off' at six months - you are still liable as a seller for refunding, repairing or replacing a product that proves to be of insufficient quality, or not fit for the purpose for which it was bought.

14. Implied terms about quality or fitness

(1) Except as provided by this section and section 15 below and subject to any other enactment, there is no implied term about the quality or fitness for any particular purpose of goods supplied under a contract of sale.

(2) Where the seller sells goods in the course of a business, there is an implied term that the goods supplied under the contract are of satisfactory quality.

(2A) For the purposes of this Act, goods are of satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking account of any description of the goods, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances.

(2B) For the purposes of this Act, the quality of goods includes their state and condition and the following (among others) are in appropriate cases aspects of the quality of goods—

(a) fitness for all the purposes for which goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied,

(b) appearance and finish,

© freedom from minor defects,

(d) safety, and

(e) durability.

If the fault was not caused by accidental/customer damage, and the product could be reasonably expected to last longer or perform better, you as the seller may still be liable to repair, refund or replace the product. Factors used to define reasonable may include price, advertised lifespan, a professional brand's reputation, and so on. You may have the faulty product tested to determine the cause of the fault and any possible liability before you decide which action to take.

If you are serious about this, please buy/borrow a book or two on the subject, and take a look around the retail:PCWorld/Currys etc. forums - you could find yourself on the wrong end of a civil court case or two if you get this wrong.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)