• Tweets

• Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
    • what device are you using? copy all the questions then come here to this thread and paste them. then answer each question click on red give answers here. when done  hit submit reply bottom right.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

I owe a lot!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5639 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Oh yeah - do you change colour the more you advance here?

Fabulous - congratulations Tomterm I'm not surprised at all.

What's PPI? Sorry.

And I think Martin is the guy my mum was telling me about - she said he's on the radio a lot and knows EVERYTHING.

Oooh I can't wait to get on that forum now, too.

Get a life - you only get ONE!

http://www.nationaldebtline.co.uk/

http://www.insolvency.gov.uk/

http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

http://www.cccs.co.uk/

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

**Discharged Friday 12th December 2008**

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Loopylou

You're a girl after my own heart, you're going through it but still kept your character and humour.

I can't offer much in usefull advice but you're lucky enough to have some great guys going through it with you. I've attached a CAB sheet regarding basic bank accounts for your information.

I can't give exact names and I can't find the link again but if the calls get too much there is a computer system that's been talked about (beginning with S, I think) that gives a local phone code that your parents can give out and it registers all calls, numbers and offers an answerphone and registers how long the dca's let it ring for. You probably won't need it if you're going for the BR but something to consider if they won't back off.

Best of luck :)

basic_bank_accounts.pdf

I love CAG!

Hey Loopylou

You're a girl after my own heart, you're going through it but still kept your character and humour.

I can't offer much in usefull advice but you're lucky enough to have some great guys going through it with you. I've attached a CAB sheet regarding basic bank accounts for your information.

I can't give exact names and I can't find the link again but if the calls get too much there is a computer system that's been talked about (beginning with S, I think) that gives a local phone code that your parents can give out and it registers all calls, numbers and offers an answerphone and registers how long the dca's let it ring for. You probably won't need it if you're going for the BR but something to consider if they won't back off.

Best of luck :)

If they don't back off, you just call the OR and explain what is happening. It would be illegal for you to give any creditor preferential status, and the OR will slap them down very hard.

Oh yeah - do you change colour the more you advance here?

Fabulous - congratulations Tomterm I'm not surprised at all.

Pink is for site helper; it's not really a powerful post, just means people can pester me for help, if they need it:)

What's PPI? Sorry.

Payment protection insurance.

And I think Martin is the guy my mum was telling me about - she said he's on the radio a lot and knows EVERYTHING.

Shush! We don't want his ego getting too large! Plus, he's a competior, sort off, although I believe we've got quite an amiable relationship;) Hence, giving out his sub forum for bankruptcy.

Oooh I can't wait to get on that forum now, too.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

I am not a qualified or practicing lawyer.

I'm still scared of this TT.

It's all I think about. There is no other way for me, though. I am reading up on people going BR and there's so much stuff about it being the most terrible thing in the world. Like loss of a loved one, or divorce??!

Like 5-10 years down the line - I'll still be a person that went BR and it's going to be with me forever.

Then again if I don't do something about it - so is the debt. I can't see an alternative for me.

I'm scared about a mortgage more than anything or if I want to buy a car or have an emergency Credit Card?! Not that I ever want another one - I'm just trying to think of everything.

I think I'm just anxious that BR seems appealing to me and I feel better and I don't want to look at it as the easy way out. I just don't know what to expect I suppose.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

I'm still scared of this TT.

It's all I think about. There is no other way for me, though. I am reading up on people going BR and there's so much stuff about it being the most terrible thing in the world. Like loss of a loved one, or divorce??!

Well... people tend to exagerate things, quite a lot, TBH. There's no way in my view bankruptcy comes anywhere near loss of a loved one. There are elements of change in your life, getting credit becomes harder, and it will take a long time for that to change.

It becomes much harder to get a mortgage, but people who have gone BR have in the past been able to get one. By using the skills you have learnt in budgeting, saving etc, and looking at life in 7 years time, you will be able to save up a substantial deposit, and learn the life skills necessary.

Everyone I know who went bankrupt, didn't want to do so. And there are stresses and problems... but, TBH, these are often overplayed by people who forget the constant calls, the constant worry about being able to afford to live, and all the pain that not going bankrupt would have caused.

I've heared of people killing themselves because of debt. They allow guilt and shame to criple their life. It sometimes comes has to come to some kind of conclusion, where you take what life has thrown at you, and use it to make the rest of your life better.

Like 5-10 years down the line - I'll still be a person that went BR and it's going to be with me forever.

Well, sometimes we worry about things that turn out not so bad as we think. For example, Monty Don went bankrupt, and 7 years latter we was the face that launched a thousand plant sales.

You know... many more people go bankrupt than you think, and statistically you know/known at least 5 people who are former bankrupts... you just don't know that they are former bankrupts:)

Then again if I don't do something about it - so is the debt. I can't see an alternative for me.

I'm scared about a mortgage more than anything or if I want to buy a car or have an emergency Credit Card?! Not that I ever want another one - I'm just trying to think of everything.

I think I'm just anxious that BR seems appealing to me and I feel better and I don't want to look at it as the easy way out. I just don't know what to expect I suppose.

With bankruptcy, for the next year or so you are going to have tight budgets. You are going to need to live on what you earn, and emergency credit will go out of the window.

When discharged from bankruptcy, you will still need to budget hard. Some of your disposable income will be taken by the OR for up to 3 years after discharge.

Credit will be expensive, and you would be well advised to stay away from it. But, frankly, with your credit record this would be the case anyway.

The positive side is, you will be able to tell any DCA or creditor to go to h**l, and you will know eactly what you can spend, and what you can't. You will be able to spend the time you currently spend worrying about money... making money, or enjoying yourself.

Most people who i've actually talked to about bankruptcy said that it seemed more scary than it actually was.

i will be off site for the next month or so. if you have any problems, feel free to report the post so a moderator can help you.

Thank you AGAIN!

I'm in temporary employment at the moment so will I definitely have to give some of my income for three years?

And is it a lot usually? I do want to move out of my parent's house in the next three years. I'm 33! LOL

The reason I still live with them is money. I don't want to be living with them when I am 36.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Thank you AGAIN!

I'm in temporary employment at the moment so will I definitely have to give some of my income for three years?

And is it a lot usually? I do want to move out of my parent's house in the next three years. I'm 33! LOL

The reason I still live with them is money. I don't want to be living with them when I am 36.

You'll find that "disposable" is income after reasonable housing costs and living expenses :lol:

Oh sorry...

No, it depends on your employment status towards the end of the bankruptcy, AND on whether there is any money after reasonable living expenses.

I don't really know what bankruptcy is. I know it's wiping out your debts and then you can't get credit for a year and probably for six years or so after that.

Do you report to the OR like weekly during BR? Like having someone watch over your every outgoing and income during the six months.

And can I ask them to ONLY phone my mobile because I don't want them phoning my house because as you know my father doesn't know anything about it?

Sorry to keep bothering you all the time.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

I don't really know what bankruptcy is. I know it's wiping out your debts and then you can't get credit for a year and probably for six years or so after that.

Do you report to the OR like weekly during BR? Like having someone watch over your every outgoing and income during the six months.

And can I ask them to ONLY phone my mobile because I don't want them phoning my house because as you know my father doesn't know anything about it?

Sorry to keep bothering you all the time.

Bankruptcy, put technically, is a legal process used where someone is "insolvent", that is - simply put - they are unable to pay debts when they are due.

Almost all your liabilities are put into a "bankruptcy estate", and the OR "Official Reciever" becomes responsible to distributing the proceeds of sale of most of your assets to creditors, on a predetermined legal basis.

Liabilities are not "written off" in reality, but remain a part of this estate. However, assets* and income** obtained after the bankruptcy aren't generally subject to the OR. Also, basic assets necessary for trade purposes or living are generally excempt from the OR. However, the law also requires consideration for the bankrupts basic needs i.e. living expenses etc.

The bankruptcy is normally discharged after a year, assuming the bankrupt acts honestly and abides by the OR's orders. Many OR's also apply for early discharge, where the BR is simple.

You can't seek credit without informing the Creditor of your bankruptcy, during your bankruptcy. the rules are more lenient after bankruptcy, but you will always have to respond truthfully if asked.

Oh, yeah, there are tax implications... after the BR, the tax man gives you a tax code that requires your employee not to take off income tax for the rest of the tax year (i.e. to april). this is not your money, it is the OR's.

* In general, we are talking about things that would raise a substantial amount of money, not old TV's, Hi-Fi's and etc, that would raise hardly any money at auction.

** although, there are various arrangements the OR can use to get some of the income after the bankruptcy is discharged.

Basically, no. OR's have better things to do with their time. You'll go to a meeting with them, fill in some forms, your bank account will probably be suspended.

As long as you do what they say, and answer any questions truthfully, you will find the OR is almost certainly helpful and sympathetic. Most people are quite surprised how hands off OR's actually are in the real world.

You can give them your mobile, yes, and ask them to call you on that, since your parents have asked you not to use their phone line... I don't think that will be a problem. In any case, the OR is NOT a DCA, and is genrally very well aware of the Data protection Act, and will not discuss your business with anyone else.

Once again - thank you. I'm just trying to prepare myself. I read in the "celeb world" how many people have gone BR.

Most recently, Sherrie Hewson (Reg's wife off Corrie) - poor woman. Kim Basinger, Mike Tyson, DONALD TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!, Abraham Lincoln, Shane Ritchie - there's loads and we all think that their lives are perfect - oh yeah and Mr Cool - Burt Reynolds, too!

I'm a bit obsessed with the celeb world and that made me feel better.

So the OR is a sympathetic person and I can just tell him/her the truth of how I got to that place and then I can get on with my "rut-free - hopefully"

life?

I have ran up one credit card this year £1000.00 in 4 months because I was unemployed and I subsidised my income with it. I just hope again that doesn't work against me because it's with the bank I am with now.

I'll just have to be brutally honest. Are they used to people crying? Cos I probably will!

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Once again - thank you. I'm just trying to prepare myself. I read in the "celeb world" how many people have gone BR.

Most recently, Sherrie Hewson (Reg's wife off Corrie) - poor woman. Kim Basinger, Mike Tyson, DONALD TRUMP!!!!!!!!!!, Abraham Lincoln, Shane Ritchie - there's loads and we all think that their lives are perfect - oh yeah and Mr Cool - Burt Reynolds, too!

I'm a bit obsessed with the celeb world and that made me feel better.

So the OR is a sympathetic person and I can just tell him/her the truth of how I got to that place and then I can get on with my "rut-free - hopefully"

life?

I have ran up one credit card this year £1000.00 in 4 months because I was unemployed and I subsidised my income with it. I just hope again that doesn't work against me because it's with the bank I am with now.

I'll just have to be brutally honest. Are they used to people crying? Cos I probably will!

be honest, but not too honest:)

Just say that you were unemployed, that you kept getting temporary work, and whatever you tried - IVA's, DMP's etc - you could never guarantee the next months wages, and kept on falling through without sorting the problem out.

you could never guarantee the next months wages, and kept on falling through without sorting the problem out.

That is THE TRUTH, fantastic!

You're AMAZING!

You've made my Sunday x

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

The bankruptcy is normally discharged after a year

in 1996 i declared myself bankrupt owing £14350. there was negative equity on my property of £6000 , which was added to my debt= £20350.

because my debt exceeded £20000, my term of bankruptcy became 2 years!

oh, and just to add, just before the end of the six year period, the OR came at me knowing that my property now had equity and i had the option of finding someone to raise the funds to satisfy my creditors ie. my wife or relative as i still couldn't take on additional debts personally.

the other option was that the OR would serve a compulsory purchase order to sell my property himself.

i did manage to raise the funds privately, and my original debt of £14000

cost me another £7000 on top, including the OR's fees and solicitors fees to have my bankruptcy permanently removed from all records.

as the poster has no equity ie. property or even a car (i presume) then there shouldn't be a problem.

as i said this was 10 years ago, and maybe the 2 year term isnt relevant now.

just a thought.

bartymuv.

The bankruptcy is normally discharged after a year

in 1996 i declared myself bankrupt owing £14350. there was negative equity on my property of £6000 , which was added to my debt= £20350.

because my debt exceeded £20000, my term of bankruptcy became 2 years!

Hi, bartymuv; I am talking about the new system, Bankruptcy - New legislation - the Enterprise Act 2002

Not the old one.

It is important to know that bankruptcy can last longer or shorter than the "normal" period; I don't see any indications that this particular case is complex, in any way.

oh, and just to add, just before the end of the six year period, the OR came at me knowing that my property now had equity and i had the option of finding someone to raise the funds to satisfy my creditors ie. my wife or relative as i still couldn't take on additional debts personally.

the other option was that the OR would serve a compulsory purchase order to sell my property himself.

i did manage to raise the funds privately, and my original debt of £14000

cost me another £7000 on top, including the OR's fees and solicitors fees to have my bankruptcy permanently removed from all records.

as the poster has no equity ie. property or even a car (i presume) then there shouldn't be a problem.

as i said this was 10 years ago, and maybe the 2 year term isnt relevant now.

just a thought.

bartymuv.

yes, you are talking about the protracted realisation unit,I don't see a problem as long as the poster doesn't own property. She should insure that her parents haven't done any inheritance tax finessing by putting their property into her possession as a trust, however.

could be a problem if both parents died and she inherited their house during the bankruptcy. Worth talking to national debt line to be sure.

Well I hope to God both my parents don't die!

In the next year. My mum doesn't have anything and if my father passes away it all goes to my mother as far as I know.

EWWWW what a horrible thing to think of. But it's got to be considered.

I don't own ANYTHING - let alone property. That's been a horrible realisation too that out of 33 years on the planet I have nothing to show for it.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

This statement scares me

"Harsher penalties imposed on those who are considered to have brought about their bankruptcy through reckless or irresponsible behaviour. Restrictions after bankruptcy could last for a further two to fifteen years."

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

This statement scares me

"Harsher penalties imposed on those who are considered to have brought about their bankruptcy through reckless or irresponsible behaviour. Restrictions after bankruptcy could last for a further two to fifteen years."

Mate, that section is there to penalise... people with 3 bankruptcies under their belt, people who intentionally spend tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds with the intention of never paying it back... sometimes, people who have thrown away £100,000 on gambling, or alcohole, or drugs....

It's not there to penalise people who make honest mistakes, and have tried their hardest to fix matters.

Again, talk to national debt line:)

Hi again.

Putting my two penneth in: You must take advice, as various people have stated, but I think you are doing the right thing... My hubby had to declare himself bankrupt 18 months ago... Its not pleasant obviously, but it was right for us...

PM me, if you would like to ask any questions... I do often go over to MSE to try to help xx

I won against MBNA, Nat West , Barclays, Barclaycard and PPI payments from Barclaycard

Abbey National still to go.... what will I do with my spare time?

It really does not help that some absolute CENSORED persons of CENSORED parentage, have decided to attack MSE, and prevent people in need being able to log on that site.

i do not like these CENSORED, people.

Loopy, just wanted to make sure you knew the reason you haven't been able to get help from the bankruptcy forum over at martins'.

I agree TT - I've been trying to get on there for 4 days like we discussed - it does make you bloody angry!

And standingupformyself - thank you. I've listened to everyone and sought advice from the National Debt Helpline and Payplan and everyone's told me the same.

I do kind of wish I'd made the decision before it got to this stage but it hindsight - I didn't know anything about it.

A friend of mine is approx 50k in debt and he's paying a minimum payment to his creditors with a DMP and it looks like he's going to be paying for a VERY long time.

I couldn't even do that at the moment because I'm not in permanent employment. I don't see BR as (I still find it hard) - OK!! BANKRUPTCY! YAY! a "get out of jail free card" - as see it as a last resort to free myself from the chains I've been in for a very long time.

It does have repercussions but I think in my case, too - it's the best option.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

Lou, I do think in your situation you have come to a sensible conclusion. I would have done it myself as I think I said earlier, but I do own a small bit of a house (!) and have four kids to think of so I have gone down the 'fighting all the way' route. But I know several people who have gone BR and they all reckon it was the best thing they did, not including of course the wonderful people on here who will give you all the support you need. It certainly is no longer shameful and you can start living again.

Best of luck:)

BANK CHARGES

Nat West Bus Acct £1750 reclaim - WON

LTSB Bus Acct £1650 charges w/o against o/s balance - WON

Halifax Pers Acct £1650 charges taken from benefits - WON

Others

GE Money sec loan - £1900 in charges - settlement agreed

GE Money sec loan - ERC of £2.5K valid for 15 years - on standby

FirstPlus - missold PPI of £20K for friends - WON

Hi Goldlady

Thanks for everything by the way, chick - you've been great.

I'm not going through this process alone - I have you guys. I will keep you posted throughout the proceedings and get the tissues ready because I think I'll need them but it'll be worth it in the end.

Awww I love children - I hope to have some one day and the first thing I'll teach them is - DON'T GET CREDIT!

It's ok wanting to have nice things and be clever but there's a price and a heavy one to some of us.

I wish you every success in your battles GL - I really do and I'll be here to congratulate you, too.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am

From the moment you have your court appointment it gets easier.

I really appreciate that. It's the fear of the unknown for me at the moment, too.

BSC No 60

12.12.2007 - 9.54am