£500 in bank charges for 2 months

dannster
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey guys :)

I opened a student account with HSBC a year and a half ago and last summer I wasn't working and foolishly forgot to cancel any direct debits that were due to come out. When these came out, HSBC paid one of them meaning it took me over my limit (£119 direct debit...£30 direct debit fee and £25 overlimit fee). Then they paid another of the same value the day after and charged me £30 for that plus £25 for being over my limit again.

After I cancelled my direct debits, I just waited and left my account overdrawn until I could clear the fees. By the time I did (2 months later), I had incurred almost £500 in fees alone!

Can I definatly claim these back?

Also, I had a student account opened with Smile. I basically withdrew the overdraft and never paid anything into the account...A year later they wrote to me saying it's been closed and they want their money back. I left it a few weeks and got a snotty letter from some "customer service executive" saying that I need to pay it back etc etc etc and that a £60 administration fee had been applied to my account for the letter!!!!! My partner, who's a solicitor, said I should either arrange to pay it back or just leave it to go to court meaning it would effect my credit record and the judge would deem the £60 admin fee to be unacceptable but I don't want it to go that far!!

The overdraft was £1000 and it now stands at £1300 with all the fees!

I know I have to pay this back and was willing to until they applied this unacceptable £60 admin fee!

Dan :)

• 13 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/05/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1892 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks