C L Finance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi - I have a debt of £721.77 with CL Finance (this was previously a GE Capital Account)

I have received a court claim form and additional charges of £140

When the debt was passed on to CL from GE it was £679.82

I had been paying monthly thorugh payplan an amount of £46 but when payplan were sorting out final settlements on my debts they did not contact CL and stopped the monthly payments so the last £46 was sent in October.

I have received a couple of reminder letter from CL but passed them straight to paypal in the niave belief that as they had my money they would pay either the monthly amount or arrange a settlement. Neither happened.

I have called Howard Cohen and Co to try to come to an arrangement to prevent the court action and offered a final settlement of £600. They have refused it and offered a settlement figure of £733. As I can not pay this they will now accept 3 payments of £287.25 but this includes the court and solicitors fees.

Can anyone offer me some advice

Many thanks :confused:

Have you spoken to Payplan about this? I'm assuming that CL were on the 'list of creditors' that you passed to Payplan when the payment plan was set up?

You need to find out firstly if they have the authority to chase the debt. Do you know who owns it now? Are CL working for GE, or did GE sell on the debt to CL? If the latter, you can start by sending them a CCA request asking for the deed of assignment for this debt. Without it, CL cannot collect on or chase you for payment.

Were there any late payment charges added to the account when it was with GE Capital? Because if there were, then the amount of the debt is disputed, as penalty charges are unlawful. Again, if the amount of the debt is in dispute, then CL cannot collect on it until the matter has been resolved. You can send a SAR to GE Capital asking for statements to check this.

Any comments on this outfit's modus operandi would help the OP.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Hi

From my dealings with CL (via Lewis Debt Recovery) once you send the CCA they vanish, letters stop coming, etc.

But they haven't issued a claim against me.

I sent them the standard letter, I Acknowledge no debt etc. and Ive not heard anything since.

When have you got to respond to the court by?

Hopefully you will have time to send them a cca request and not get a response (12 days)

As i posted on the other thread, I think GE are selling any debts that they dont have paperwork for.

• Haha 1

wow -lots to take in and thank you for all your responses

against the odds I have got thru to payplan and I have now to send the claim to their legal department. They can not explain why the stopped paying this debt but can rectify it so I don't go to court - unfortunately it looks as if the charges stand but i will take the advice and find out if CL own the debt and if they say they own it will send a cca.

Again thanks for all your advice - i can see how people lose the plot over debt - its been great having somewhere to turn.

Everyone's first instinct is to panic in situations like this, don't worry. I'm sure there are more than plenty on this forum that have been in exactly the same position.

It depends on whether the charges stand or not, btw - get back to us when you've heard more, give as much detail as possible, and someone'll stop in to look things over. It never hurts to double-check, especially when it comes to companies dealing with debt recovery :)

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

• 5 months later...

Help!!!!

Sorry this is a bit long but the previous postst say to give as much detail as possible.

I had debt in an overdraught with the bank in 2001 who passed the debt to Blair Oliver and Scott. I set up a standing order and was under the impression I had paid all my debt. a month ago I received a phonecall from uk default recovery stating I still had debt due to the bank, I phoned the bank who after checking there records (and old archived records) promised me I had no debt outstanding with them.

Today I got a letter from uk default saying they bought my debt from CL finance, again I went to the bank who now say that oh yes I do have debt outstanding it was sold from blair Oliver etc to cl ltd who sold it to uk default. My question to the bank was if they have always had my up to date contact info how is this the first I've heard in almost 6 years????

I'm now trying to contact cl finance to see where they were looking for me and how I've never heard about this.

Anyway can anyone give me advice on how to deal with these people, what do I say or not say. i've seen on this forum I should be sending them forms to prove they have a right to go after this debt what are these forms? Where do I get them? I have really never dealt with stuff like this before if someone could give me some advice I would be very grateful.