• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

bowkett v Abbey National

bowkett
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6319 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

it was killing me too, a little disapointed that it wasnt from Abbey, BUT, it was from Tesco, a nice cheque to refund my bank charges!! Bit late though I already sent in the bailiff warrant he he he. I suppose I will have to call the court tomorrow to let them know I have part payment now.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it depends how busy your local court it. I have two AQ's for Abbey in. The first one was due in on the 26th August. DLA returned theirs late and it is with the district judge at the moment. My other AQ was due back last week and I've heard nothing yet.

Abbey - Claim 1

full hearing 22 Feb 07 - Settled in full £710 :D

Abbey (Claim 2)

full hearing 22 Feb 07- Settled in full £4000 :D

Abbey (Claim 3)

Court date 27 June -

Capital One (claim 1)

£467 Settled in full 20 Sep :D

Capital One (claim 2)

£72 refunded 19 Aug :-D

Associates (Citicards)

claim 8 Aug/judgment by default 30 Aug/set aside hearing 9 Oct/Stay denied, ordered by Judge to reveal breakdown of charges andfull hearing 24 May/FULL DISCLOSURE ORDERED BY 8 MARCH/JUDGE TO STRIKE OUT DEFENCE AS NON-COMPLIANCE/DEFENCE STRUCK OUT PAYMENT IN FULL REQUIRED IN 14 DAYS

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing yet Bowk.

However deadline for my AQ was 22nd Sept so I guess I won't hear from the Courts for at least another 2-3 weeks minimum.

When DLA submitted their AQ into the Court bang on the deadline they also sent me an offer of 80% to settle my claim including all costs and interest to date. (Rejected of course :D )

Launching my second action against the Abbey on Saturday after I dug out my statements from 1996-1998. Limitations Act doesn't apply as they are concealing the issue being contended. Claim in total comes to £2500!! Nice.

Keep your progress up-to-date Bowk and speak to you soon.

srfrench :eek:

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Nice one!! I havent heard anything yet, I am getting impatient, again :-) My AQ went back on the 7th September and I still havent heard a peep, DLA are very quiet too, they never once replied to my emails and letter declining the 50% offer. All good things come to those who wait eh!

From all the other posts that tried to get a settlement from DLA prior to AQ submission met with silence, I thought I'd be wasting my time so just filed mine without giving them a settlement deadline prior to AQ submission.

It's very much a waiting game now and if it gets to a preliminary hearing or if the Judge agrees to what was requested by us in the way of disclosure of what their true costs are then I am damn sure within a fortnight of that order we will have a 100% offer.

Lets face it, if they defend their action by saying that it is a true reflection of their costs, the calcs must have already been done. So what is the delay and reluctance of the Banks to disclose them. They know they are in the wrong and are well aware of concealment!! :D Hence the limitations Act does not apply..... wheeeeeeeee!!! EasyPeasy Savings schemey!

Fight incompetance, stupidity, greed and unfairness......There's no excuse and no place for it in society, unless they really are! :wink:

Ha ha...... how'd you guess Bowk :D

Sort of a trip down memory lane really......... I'm sure I have other statements..... :D

Def getting into swing of things. I have been waiting 5 years on another issue as the Claimant with a company I helped set-up 7 years ago regarding Share Options. The Defendants are having a very much last gasp appeal in the Appeal Courts in London 3-4 November 2006. If they lose....... which they will...... it means a major six figure and costs settlement figure and if I win..............:D

Case was heard in the High Court where I had to give evidence and be cross-examined numerous times before the Judge ended proceedings early and told the DEfendants to sod off after having a right legal rip into them over the hgopelessness of their case and their competance as Directors in an international company and their legal team as not having a case to answer!!!

REmember I had lost my other half last year and pet dog Lui, spent over 200K of my own money in costs......... I think you get the drift?

I smiled and cried after that hearing that day!!

So this is small fry really Bowk but proudly doing this on my own without solicitors and counsel but with the fab resources and assistance of this sight of all involved. It still requires you know what you should do next though..... hence the sites insistence that everyone should read the FAQ's first. :-|

Hey....... and its fun to take on the so-called "big guns" who we are now finding have very small bullets and fire blanks!! Tossers! :D

WOW, Gosh Steve, yes I remember, I am a great believer in what goes around one day comes around. Some times it takes a long time for justice to be done, but be done it will, in one way or another. Shame sometimes we loose peeps who we love and they cant be with us to see it, you can bet that they are still rooting for us though :-)

LOL Yes I can probably imagine what she would be saying right now......... "Jammy Piers Morgan!!" and my dog "Arfy arf Biccie!" :D

Cheers Bowk

Excellent thread,..Good explantion into the process ,Not far behind you Guy's so will be watching this closely(ready to send LBA letter for refund of charges )So another 14 days after wednesday coming & its off to file my claim with the courts,..Not really bothered about the wait the longer the better,..Well at least this christmas will be special with around £5k plus 8%interest off the abbey,..Will be feeling like a kiddie does come december and ready for the settlement,..:p ,Best of luck to all who are still fighting the fight Mx.

OOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Guess what?

Just got a letter from my incredibly efficient Court telling me that my actual Hearing date for the claim is 20th December 2006!!!!!

Start sweating DLA............ this isn't the Allocation hearing or a Pre-Lim, this is the full monty!!!!! :D

Whhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

LOL........... :p

This is why I keep my comms as brief as possible. But on the other hand you may get a settlement quicker than me :D

Hang in there Bud......... after all a few more quid interest eh?

Well, being the impatient person that I am I rang the court today. The lady told me that they didnt submitt the AQ until the 22nd of September, deadline was 7th! I cant believe they are allowed to get away with these things! Anyway, the directions have come back from the Judge and I should get them any day now, she couldnt tell me what they were as they are being processed, but I should get something by the end of the week.

Jeez!!!

The arrogance of Abbey and DLA eh?

Still please post asap what you receive in the way of the response from the Judge and your Court dates and type of Hearing to.

Good luck Bud ;-)

:p Hi Bowkett and All :p

I have read with GREAT interest your thread - VERY INFORMATIVE!

I received today the first standard letter from Abbey enclosing their complaints leaflet. I was unsure of what to do so looked on here...... Looks like I have a long way to go before getting back my money though :(:mad::(

I couldn't believe it when I got to the end of the thread and its still not sorted.... was like reading an excellent book but the last few pages are missing!!! :eek:

Really Really eager to hear what happens.......

Hello all, I have registered today after reading all about the banks' ridiculous charges at moneysavingexpert.com

Thought it was only me who paid these charges all the time! The problem I have is, I dont really know how much the bank has charged me over the last 5 years. Do I request all my previous bank statements over the last 5 years? Do I set up another bank account? Surely they will have an idea as to why I am requesting my previous statements?

I have two bank accounts with Abbey, one in my name, and one in a joint account with my ex partner, both have overdrafts (£1350). I also have a loan with them for £10,000. I'm scared they will close my accounts and demand I pay them the overdrafts back!

Not really sure where to start, have been reading this site for the last 2 hrs, giving me headache, but feel that I have been ripped off by my bank and credit card company (MBNA).

its ok tt, first you need to start your own thread, that way people can follow you and have the whole story so far if you need help. read around abit more and you will soon feel alot more confident. first start with an S.A.R ( subject access request letter) which asks the bank for a list of charges,. unauthorised overdraft fees etc and gives them a time limit of 40 days to respond. you wil find this in the bank templates library. they will probbly send you the standard microfiche letter which says that you can have so many statements but that the rest are on microfiche and that it will cost you 10 pounds to get this data. this is a standard letter. write back to them enclosing your 10 pound payment. that will do for starters. meanwhile have a good look around this site and you will get a good idea of where to go from there. the bank templates library has templates of all the letters you will need and just need tweaking for your own circumstances. hope that helps :D :D :D

Hi Bowkett,

I have just received the same letter today, re: 4 weeks to investigate complaint. Did you acknowledge this letter before you sent lba letter? Not really sure what to do? My next letter due to go out monday coming. I am sure I have read ages ago a letter of response but cant find it now.

Fiona

8) FoxyFiona

Hi folks, sorry to miss you all! I didnt get any mail about these posts :-(

Hang in there Town Terrier, I am a Huddersfield fan myself and know what you folks are like! I felt exactly the same as you, will be keeping an eye out for your thread. If you have all your statements then you can send the first letter, if not send the SAR request as chilli states. It gave me a headache too when I first found the site!

Mandarin, keep to your timetable, do as Karnevil suggests to Foxyfiona and all will be fine. ;)

Dont be put off by the timescale of things, it is well worth it, I had my first payout only a few weeks ago from Tesco Personal Finance, dont forget to make the donation when you win, not if, but when :D

Well...... here's the latest Bowk

As from Monday 9th October, DLA will no longer be acting for shAbbey!!

Awaiting further bulletins!;)

whats that all about then?? Does that mean they will pass our cases over to a new solicitor? or will they se them through?? I can se this getting messier by the day. Have you sorted your christmas dilema out yet?

Cases will automatically transfer to the new boys. However until DLA get back to me hopefully today I can't say whether they will be shipping all their cases to the new Sols or finishing the ones that have Court Dates and sending the others plus new business to the new boys.

Xmas dilemma has now been sorted and am getting the Judge to try my case in abstentia providing I send in the Court bundle in on time.

This makes it very dangerous for DLA/NewBoyz to get to me an out-of-court settlement and for it to be accepted.

I'm so glad Abbey are choosing to be the first bank to go to court and argue their case that the charges levied are lawful and accurate!!

Yeah.... right!!! :D