can i claim back charges on student account??

vicki98
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

could anyone help with this? (sorry its a little long winded!)

I opened a student account with natwest in 2000. everything with the account was fine until i completed my degree in 2003 and went onto further full time study.

I was informed by the bank that my account had been changed automatically to a graduate account and despite me still being in full time education, i had 12 months to repay half of my overdraft back and then a further 12 months to repay the full outstanding amount. After many discussions with them about me still being at uni, and clarifying that it should have remained as a student account, i was still charged interest on the overdraft (supposedly interest free for a student account).

Can any of these charges be claimed back?

After this, i had many charges for unpaid direct debits and cheques that had bounced (some of which i got back as there were funds in my account when the cheques came out - yet i was still charged at the time!)

this resulted in my overdraft getting bigger and bigger and then i was informed that the account was to be closed as i had not paid any money into it for 3 months.

as it stands at the minute, the account is with natwests own collections department, who are asking me to pay much more than i can afford into the account to clear the overdraft.

if that all makes sense, i was wondering if anyone knows whether the charges i have incurred on the account can be paid back by the bank, even though it is being dealt with by collections, as it would certainly help me to pay back the amount owed much quicker, due to the number of charges i received since 2003.

Any charges which have been imposed by way of disproportionate penalties for not conducting your account correctly may be recoverable.

Where the bank has breached their own terms by moving your account wrongly to a different status and this has caused you loss, then this should be remediable as well.

read the FAQs,

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/06/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support their.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6630 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks