Natwest Asking For Overdraft Payment?

Riko100
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5627 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Im writing on here behalf of my friend who is currently involved in a dispute with natwest on charges to his account that they are asking for.

He checks his account online one day and its shows up with £6000 being paid into his account. He doesnt know who sent it and obviously he isnt going to tell the bank about this otherwise they would take it back out of his account. He goes the next day and withdraws the whole £6000 from his account. Later the same day he checks his online account and it shows up saying its been paid out and after checking it says its an unpaid cheque.

Now the bank are asking him for the money back, why is this. The money was in his account and even though he didnt know who sent it he had the right to claim the money because it was in his account.

What does anyone who might of had the same issue advise for my friend.

Im afraid unless your friend can prove that the money is/was rightfully his, the banks are perfectly entitled to ask for it back, even if it was their mistake. In fact, they can, and probably will pursue the matter through the courts, where when they prove their case, your friend will be liable to pay interest on the money, plus the banks solicitors and court costs...

You might want to have a read of this...

Obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I Wish you everything you wish yourself.

NatWest Claimed £1,639. Accepted £1,344.

Natwest Paid me again as GOGW £1,656. Yes they can have it back if they say please.

Barclays 1 Claimed £1,260. Won by default. Paid in full

Barclays 2 Claimed £2,378. Won by default. Paid in full

Birmingham Midshires. Claimed £2,122. Accepted £2,075.

• 1 year later...

I had a similar thing happen to me, although I was expecting a payment which turned out to be fraudulent, NatWest seem to have a habit of making money available, reversing it and then asking for it back, i find it ridiculous.

As for legal action, this is very rare over an amount like £6000, they need to be 100% sure they can get the money back, otherwise its just not feasible to go through the courts.

Personally, I think they will just send a few threatening letters and make phone calls, as they need to prove to the insurance companies they have tried to contact the debtor before selling the debt on to a DCA.

Whats your friends current situation? is he a high earner? own a property? or a car? They always look at assets before taking legal action.

Riko100, if your friend has said he went into the branch and took out £6000.00 and that a cheque was returned unpaid the next day, he is not telling you the truth. Since the 2 4 6 process of cheque clearance which I believe is November 2007(ish), the process especially within the branch network would prevent the situation you have explained happening specifically on that amount. Ask him to tell you another story ;)

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I've worked for a natwest contact centre in the past and it was quite common for cheques to be made available before they clear, we always had to advise customers that it was their responsibility if they draw on the funds before 5 working days.