style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Guys,

just looking for some advice on the following situation.

Have rented a property for the last 3 yrs. About a month before we moved out, we had a meeting with the landlady and the agent at the house. She had a look round and was generally very pleased, she even said she loved what we had done with the garden as it was just an overgrown mess before. We had some furniture that we would not use in our next place and she seemed very happy for it to be left in the house. the outcome of this meeting was felt to be very positive. It must be mentioned here that she was at this stage planning to let the property again.

We cleaned the place up to the standard we found it, i even painted the door frames where they were a bit scuffed. We were present during the infantry and even attended to any cleaning that the clerk pointed out to us.

I feel that as we took the time to have a meeting with the landlady and also were present during the infantry, that we made every effort to address any problems with the house.

But, now the landlady has decided to move in and not rent it out. She has said it took her six days of cleaning to get the house to her satisfaction. The total bill was about £500. I have written to her via the agent and explained that she had a made a few valid points, for one the cooker needed cleaning, fair enough as we had not done the inside. But the rest of the cleaning labour cost is unnaceptable. She has written back and she has accepted two days cleaning, plus some other costs. She has offered £300. I still think this is unnaceptable.

My case is this: she was happy with the condition when she was going to continue letting. However, now that she has decided to move in herself, the standard has increased. Thats not fair on us.

how would this stand in court?

many thanks,

Nick

If the signed inventory says the house was acceptable she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

It makes no difference whether she is moving in herself or moving another tenant in.

Ask for receipts regarding this (excessive) cleaning bill, she's pulling a fast one and just doesnt want to refund your deposit.

This is called "betterment", and you are not allowed to use a tenants deposit for this. Did you sign an inventory upon moving into the property?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

We did sign an inventory when we moved in. But it was another housemate because it was a shared house and he has now moved out. Really, the agent should have performed an inventory each time someone moved out. There has been about 7 housemates over the yrs and now i am lumped with being the last one. So its not my signature.

She has provided cleaning equipment reciepts (just gloves, cleaner, cloths, etc) but the main bulk of the cleaning was done by herself and another person. So she is claiming 2 days x 2ppl x £7 per hour at 7 hours per day. She reckons it took her 6 days (unbelievable!!) but she does not think its fair on us, so has reduced it to 2.

I need to find that infantry, its here somewhere but we have just moved in.

Also, we were never given a dillaptidation scedule is this another point in my favour or does it not really count?

many thanks,

Nick

Pretty much got her on the point that the inventory was not updated on each housemate leaving and joining. Was the tenancy a joint and several one? Or did you each let a room seperately?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!