Help please on what should be included in my flat

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6545 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I've been renting a flat since Feb and i have a few things i need to know.

Firstly, should there legally be a smoke alarm in the property? There isnt at the moment,

Secondly, a few things were meant to be finished off when i moved in (door handles put on etc). These things still havent been done. How long should i wait? I've reminded the landlady over and over.

and lastly, I've had no hot water since friday, the landlady is aware of this and says she will get it fixed asap. How long do i have to wait? I'm sick of cold baths and boiling kettles to wash up already.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks, Lynsey

Hi all!

lynseyjane,in my view and based on what you say in your post:

1.Your block of flats is subject to the HMO - House in Multiple Occupation regulations i.e.fire doors,fire exit and fire extinguishers in each flat etc

So yes you should have a smoke alarm.

2.It is a criminal offence to deprive a tenant of essential services i.e.electricity,gas and hot water etc under the Landlord and Tenant laws.

You should have hot water at all times.Also,if the hot water/central heating system works on gas the owner MUST obtain an annual gas certificate from a CORGI registered gas fitter.

3.The door handles should be provided because you are legally a tenant and paying for the use of your landlady's flat together with its fixtures and fittings.

I would suggest that:

a.Inform your landlady that the current state of affairs is totally unacceptable mainly no hot water.

b.If she does not respond within 24 hours to complain to the Private Tenancy Officer at your local council.Take note however that because you have a Shorthold Tenancy your landlady could fairly easily evict you from your home - but not without a court order.

Anyway,I hope this helps.

If you any more questions,please feel free to ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!

Thankyou. Will keep you posted.

Am still waiting to hear on whether the rock band upstairs are going to be fined yet for keeping me awake til 3 every morning.

This must be the WORST place I've ever rented :(

Hi all!

Lynseyjane,in my view:

1.Complain to the Council - Noise Pollution about the problems with your noisy neighbours - that must be terrible!

2.Read through other threads and postings within the Landlord and Tenant section of this forum to assist you further regarding the noise problems.

3.Move out and sue your landlady or then she will become your ex-landlady about the noise and other breaches of implied duty/obligation i.e. no hot water and no fire alarm etc etc etc!!

Anyway,I hope this helps.

Any questions or need any help,just ask.

Keep us posted.

All the best!