• Tweets

• Banks have different limits above which they require Probate. So it may be Probate is not needed, although as he died with no Will that could complicate things. Is all the £28k with Virgin Money? Your wife should contact all banks who hold his money with the death certificate and ask them what they need to release the funds to her. Most banks have a central "bereavement department". Check their websites. Use that department rather than general call centre or bank branch if they have one. Nearly every bank website has a section on "what to do when a customer dies" so have a search for that. Your wife may also have to provide evidence that she is his daughter. When his wife died it sounds like they had a joint bank account so that's why her money just went across to him. But as it isn't a joint account now transfer to your wife won't be quite that simple.  
    • That explains it then. MET's fantasy is that it's a pay car park.  You're only let off paying if you are a Starbucks customer which you can't be when Starbucks is closed.  'Cos otherwise lots of people would abuse the car park facilities on the far edge of the Stansted Airport area in the middle of nowhere to ... admire the bushes?  Look at the cloudy sky? The important thing is that we have around 140 cases for this site, and MET have only tried court seven times.  Even then, they had no intention of getting as far as a hearing, they were attempting to intimidate the motorists into paying, when the Caggers defended the cases MET discontinued.
    • She's an only child and he as a brother and sister. He has no will and we have done a check on this to find out if he had left one and nothing has come up. He has savings of around 28k His sister and brother are well off so 28k is nothing to them and aren't interested in his money. This just leaves my wife/his daughter. Would this still need to go to probate there is no estate e.g house or business to sell and the amount left in his bank is just small? When his wife died they just closed her bank account and moved her money across to his account and we just assumed that once my wife has handed in the death certificate and shown evidence of who she is the same would apply to her? We don't know yet the council have only just written to us today with a guide of what to do next.  
    • Did your FiL leave a Will and if so who is the Executor? Strictly speaking banks could refuse to take instructions until Probate is granted but In practice I would expect the bank to take instructions to cancel the DD if the Executor presents the death certificate and a certified copy of the Will
    • Hi   Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough. He had lived in the flat until December 2022 with Dementia by this time it was unsafe for him to have capacity to live on his own and he had to move into a nursing home. We had left it too late to apply for power of attorney so approached a solicitor in March last year for Deputyship. We were still in the process of dealing with it by May 2024. He passed away a few weeks ago and the solicitor was contacted to halt the application and we will just pay the fees of what work he has done up until now. My wife was the named person on her dads bank account but we didn't have the ability to alter any direct debits hence the reasons for applying for Deputyship as we were having problems trying to stop some payments coming out of his account Eon being another difficult company. We kept his flat on from December 2022 - August 2023. it was at this point I contacted Sancutary housing to inform them he was no longer living in the flat, it had been cleared out and was ready for a new tenant and that he had Dementia and had moved into a nursing home December 2022 and explained the reasons why we kept it on. As the named person to speak on his behalf I asked them what proof they needed in order to give notice on the flat e.g proof of dementia and proof that he was living in a nursing home and anything else they wanted. The lady in the upstairs flat and some of the other residence in the street had asked about him and we had told them he had moved into a nursing home. The lady in the upstairs flat wanted his flat for medical reasons so asked us once we had given notice could be let her know and she'll ask them if she can have it. We explained the difficulties and it was left at that but I did tell her I would let her know once notice was given. I contacted the company by email a number of times and also telephone conversations and nobody followed it up and it wasn't till the end of February this year that the housing manager for the area wrote to our home address to ask about him that he had been to the flat a couple of times and nobody answered and he had asked some of the residence in the street and they hadn't seen him for sometime. There was an email address on the letter so I contacted him and copied in the last 2 emails I sent Sanctuary regarding me wanting to give notice on the flat for at least 9 months explaining that it went ignored as well as telephone calls. I also stated I wanted to have his rent payments returned from the date I wanted to give notice which was from August 2023 as the bank wouldn't let us stop the DD without POT or deputyship explaining we were in the process of Deputyship. He gave some excuse about not having POT to cancel on his behalf and spoke to someone in HR and said he would contact the nursing home to confirm he was there with Dementia and if it all checks out we can give notice on the flat which came to an end on the 22 March 2024. There was not mention of back payments for the rent already paid or the fact I had asked to give notice in August 2023. Despite someone living in the flat from 1st April they continue to take DD payments for the flat and have taken another 2 payments of £501. another concerning thing despite Eon not allowing us to cancel the DD to his account the lady upstairs informed Eon that she was moving into the flat February 2024 and Eon refunding the account to his bank and said in an email sorry you are leaving us and canceled his account. Something they wouldn't let us do but a stranger. She also changed her bank account to his address despite the fact notice hadn't been given on the flat yet. So we need to find out how much information Sanctuary actually had for her to tell her power company she was moving into the flat in February despite the housing manager only just getting in contact to find out where he was. So a complaint is going into Eon and Sanctuary and we are going to take advice and ask the bank to charge back the rent. My wife hasn't taken the death certificate to the bank yet to inform them of his passing.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MBNA No CCA, Gimme my interest :)

wednesday1867
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Steve,

Where is the go advanced button??????????:eek::-D

Try this one

House of Lords - Wilson and others v. Secretary of State for Trade and Industry (Appellant)

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

Thanks Hell, that is some document :eek: started reading it, dont know if it is wise adding bits and bobs from it, cos there is so much of i.

The Go Advanced button is next to Post Quick Reply, underneath this quick reply box :cool::D

Hello Wednesday,

It is some document, perhaps don't quote any bits from it, just quote the Wilson v ????? and let them waste their time looking at it.:-D

Oh and I found the go advanced button thanks, but what does that do????:???: :o

If any of my posts are helpful, please feel free to click my scales. All information is given as my opinion only, based on my own personal experiences. I have no legal training, but have educated myself in aspects of consumer legislation. My motto "NEVER GIVE IN, NEVER SURRENDER", THERE IS A WAR ON YOU KNOW

I also found this on a thread so I cut and pasted it for reference.

Even in situations where the creditor does provide an executed copy, that

is not necessarily the end of the matter.

Because of the complexity of the Consumer Credit Act, there are still

possibilities that the document is not properly executed. For instance in

Wilson v First County Trust 2001, Mrs Wilson contested, and won, on the grounds that because the document fee was wrongly included in the "total

amount of credit" that the contract was unenforceable.

This is what the Judge said then-

It was common ground that the agreement of 22 January 1999 was a regulated agreement for the purposes of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. Section 61(1) of the Act sets out three conditions which must be satisfied if a regulated agreement is to be treated as properly executed. Condition (a) requires that a document in the prescribed form containing all the prescribed terms and conforming to regulations under section 60(1) is signed in the prescribed manner both by the debtor and by or on behalf of the creditor. In the present context "the prescribed terms" for the purposes of section 61(1)(a) of the Act include "a term stating the amount of the credit" – see paragraph 2 in schedule 6 to the Consumer Credit (Agreement) Regulations 1983 (S.I. 1983/1553). It followed from the fact that the amount of the credit was mis-stated that the agreement of 22 January 1999 was not a properly executed regulated agreement.

Section 65(1) of the 1974 Act provides that an improperly executed regulated agreement is enforceable against the debtor on an order of the court only. Section 127 of the Act sets out the powers of the court upon an application for an enforcement order under (inter alia) section 65(1). Section 127(1) provides that the court shall dismiss the application if, but only if, it considers it just to do so having regard to (i) prejudice caused to any person by the contravention in question and the degree of culpability for it, and (ii) the powers conferred on the court by section 127(2) and sections 135 and 136 of the Act. Section 127(2) empowers the court (if it appears just to do so) to reduce or discharge any sum payable by the debtor, so as to compensate him for prejudice suffered as a result of the contravention in question. Sections 135 and 136 confer further powers on the court in relation to the terms upon which enforcement orders may be made.

Section 127(1) of the 1974 Act is subject to the restrictions imposed by sections 127(3) and (4). Those subsections set out circumstances in which the court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) of the Act. In particular, section 127(3) is in these terms:

"The court shall not make an enforcement order under section 65(1) if section 61(1)(a) (signing of agreements) was not complied with unless a document (whether or not in the prescribed form and complying with regulations under section 60(1)) itself containing all the prescribed terms of the agreement was signed by the debtor or hirer (whether or not in the prescribed manner)."

It follows that in a case where there is no document signed by the debtor – or no document signed by the debtor which contains all the prescribed terms of the agreement – the court has no power to make an enforcement order. In such a case, the effect of sections 65(1) and 127(3) of the Act is that the agreement is not enforceable against the debtor.

The Judge then carried on to say

We held that the present case fell within section 127(3) of the 1974 Act – because (in the absence of a term correctly stating the amount of the credit) the document signed by the debtor on 22 January 1999 did not include all the prescribed terms of the agreement. It followed (i) that the agreement was not enforceable against Mrs Wilson ]

It therefore follows that if any of the other prescribed terms are wrong, that

contract is equally unenforceable.

Just had a thought, in a week or so, im due to file for a refund of the PPI premiums and asociated interest from MBNA.

Obviously im filing for this tomorrow or Tuesday, so to save myself £120, could i wait and week and include the PPI, or more chance of winning if i keep them seperate?

You cannot take bits and bobs from the judgement without understanding the full argument (in fact 5 arguments - one from each of the panel). having said that, here is an interesting quote from the judgement

'It offends every notion of justice or fairness that because of some technical slip which in no way prejudices him, a borrower, having received a substantial sum of money, should be entitled to retain or spend it without any obligation to repay a single penny.'

I dont think i will mention the wilson case, as i dont get half of it :o

Ive had another rethink about the POC

(g) Interest which should be returned at either:

(I) MBNA’s own rate of 24.9% compounded as per the as the recent precedent in Sempra Metals Limited (formerly Metallgesellschaft Limited) (Respondents) v. Her Majesty's Commissioners of Inland Revenue and another (Appellants) allows, or

(II) Interest at MBNA’s own rate of 24.9% or

(III) Compounded statutory interest of 8% or

(IV) interest pursuant to section 69 County Courts Act at such rate and for such periods as the court deems just.

I'm gonna keep the compounded 24.9% in, MBNA havent got my agreement. Are they really going to turn up in court to argue this? What can they say in court?

To put them off a bit more, cant i put something into the POC's about the offence MBNA have committed in not supplying my agreement, i believe the punishment is a fine of £2,500? So can i ask for the Judge to impose this on MBNA? Just maybe something else that may make MBNA want to settle before it gets to court.

Edit

Do i need to change the date on the spreadsheets to tomorrows date?

On the interest I rerer you to my post #99 above - I still think you are a bit confused. You are entitled to all the interest they levied on the charges PLUS interest to 'compensate' you for having to effectively borrow money to cover what they have taken from you until the point they give it back.

I would leave out the CCA stuff - it's a different issue at this point. I think you should take it up with the OFT.

I am confused now :D

This claim is being raised as MBNA dont have an agreement for me. The charges for late fee's etc have already been taken off my balance and finished with.

This claim is to get the remining balance written off and the interest ive paid returned, as no confirmation of an agreed rate of interest to be paid.

Sorry, missed that bit. You can still claim back the interest they charged you - ie the interest they levied on that part of your balance that was made up of charges. In addition they should compensate you for the fact that they had your money and you didn't. In principle, for you to have the same amount of money 'in your hand' that you would have had if they hadn't taken it, you would have to have borrowed it from somewhere - that is what the 8% interest is for. Now Sempra has (may have) changed that in that it is now recognised that you have to pay compound interest to borrow money. So you can claim compound interest on the charges and onthe interest levied on the charges.

I would use the current MNBA rate (whatever that is - it must be on their website) to calculate the interest levied on the charges and your bank's authorised borrowing rate for the 'compensation' (altough you probably shouldn't use that word).

In your PoC just note that the charges have already been paid back. That is what we did in our claim against GE Money. We dind't work out the interest in the way I have just described because, obvoius;y, it was before Sempra - we just added s69 interest.

I think this needs a bit more thought. The precedent in Sempra is for compound interest as opposed to simple interest on the basis that that is what would have had to have been paid to borrow the same money elsewhere at some rate to be determined to replace the money taken. I don't think this argument would justify 24.9% compound instead of 8% simple.

However, MBNA levied interest on the charges at 24.9% whenever your month-end balance was greater or equal to the charges plus interest up to that point. A reasonable estimate of this interest is just 24.9% from the date of the charge until now, provided your balance was always bigger than charges+interest so far. If your balance at any time was significantly smaller than this, then you might have to adjust your estimate of interest charged a bit.

The purpose of the judgement in Sempra was to put things back as they were (or would have been) - in your case had the charges not been taken. I think you should argue that, because MBNA had this money of yours, you effectively had to borrow to replace it.

If you borrowed it from MBNA it would cost you 24.9% (but no-one would borrow money from a CC company like that if they had the choice - they would borrow it from the bank at the authorised overdraft rate, say 14.9%.)

So for every charge and every interest payment on those charges, you effectively would have had to borrow money from your bank at the authorised overdraft rate to maintain the amount of money you had 'in your hand'.

Thus, IMHO, what you should claim is:

a) charges

b) interest levied on those charges by MBNA at 24.9%

c) i) interest on BOTH at 14.9% (to replace the money taken from you, using Sempra as precedent)

ii) if the court won't wear that, then 8% compound (again based on Sempra)

iii) if the court is REALLY mean, 8% s69 interest

f) costs

Got my own thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/98164-ony-mbna-continued.html.

MBNA just sent me a letter saying included was my original agreement/statement of account but neither the agreement or full statement of account was there.

I was about to start proceedings against them but not too sure what I can claim. Is it as Steven advises charges/interest on charges, compound interest + charges or all interest paid on this account?

If the former would i then take my existing charges/interest schedule and then apply interest to that total compounded over 6 years?

If the latter then take the cash/retail interest charges from my statements and apply interest as prescribed?

thx

• Barclaycard (2 Accounts) CCA sent to both on 20.5.07 (defaulted)
  • MBNA CCA defaulted 14.6.07 (Claim £2600)
  • Capital one: Reject offer LBA 18.6.07
  • HSBC/Metropolitan/DG Solicitors: Credit agreement not found by DG Solicitors. Sent new CCA to Metropolitan 18.6.07 with original timeline 18th May 2007.

I think the various cases that have been decided over the last couple of months indicate you can claim

a) charges

b) interest levied on those charges

c) interest on both a) and b) to compensate you for the bank having you rmoney

c) is discretionary - I think you should claim compound at a typical authorised borrowing rate but give the court the option of giving you s69 instead.

Perhaps others would like to comment, though.

As we know im going for PPI refund as well as interest from MBNA. Today i recevied a letter from MBNA with a copy of what they refer to as my application, but is headed "Credit Agreement Regulated By The Consumer Credit Act 1974".

It showed i ticked the box, or the box was ticked and i signed it, so thats the PPI sorted :(

Now how does this affect this, they havent supplied me any agreement in response to my CCA, i would of thought they would know i now have a copy?

I havent got a scanner, ill take some snaps with the digital camera and get your opinions on if it is in fact enforcable.

Hope not, cos pretty gutted about the PPI, but ney mind:cool:

Ive got a thread there already :D

Im just in the process of uploading these pictures, just noticed on the application, it says "Date of Application 12 01 1974" I signed the agreement 12 Jan, but not in 1974, does that make a difference or am i grabbing at straws?:D

I signed and dated it 2002, but they said date of aplication 1974.

I wonder if they send the proper agreement out at a later date to sign and thats what they cant find, cos they still havent sent anything in relation to my CCA, even said it was done thro HBOS and i should contact them for my agreement :confused:

Back on the PPI for a second, not a lot of people view that thread, so ill ask here.

While ive been with MBNA, i was charged in the region of 40 times for being over my limit, something im not proud of, i was paying the minimum or a bit over, but with the charges, it kept getting higher, anyhow i asked about the terms of the PPI and if it would be void when i was over my limit, this is the paragraph they reply to that

Quote:

I confrim that the terms and conditions of the policy state if payments are not maintained, the PPI will be automatically suspended. I understand that you are concerned that on the occasions that your account has been in arrears, you have continued to pay premiums for a covere that was void. I confirm that that when the cover is automatically suspended, the premiums also stop. When payments are again maintained, the cover reinstates and premiums recommence. I have enclosed a copy of your XX statement which shows that as your account was in arrears, no PPC premium was charged.

Strange the months statements they sent me, was the month i had asked for the PPI to be cancelled :grin:

I need someone elses interpretation of what that paragraph says, i read it as in the months i didnt pay, i didnt get charged, i did tho :confused:

Or does it say every month i was charged for being over the limit i shouldnt of been charged PPI as the account was in arrears?

Or does it say every month i was charged a late fee, the account was in arrears, so i shouldnt have been charged?

Bottom line is, i was charged every month til i cancelled it.

Just dont know what to come back at them with :confused: