• Tweets

• Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
    • what device are you using? copy all the questions then come here to this thread and paste them. then answer each question click on red give answers here. when done  hit submit reply bottom right.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Rascal v Halifax - **WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6495 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi rascal the interest is hard I know. I used vampiress sheet. If Ive worked it out right the cells do not need to correspond. When u input The date its the date then the interest charged for the mnth in question (off statement) then you input the debit balance for that month ( off ststement) remeber though halifax use the overdrawn balance from the previous month. so if u went overdrawn more than once use the biggest value and the sheet calculates the total.

eg 21/06/2005 0.04 -22.83 0.04

Hope that this helps.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for that! - it kinda made sense all along I think I just got a bit confused when filling out the spreadsheet. I've got 2 weeks to go until I have to commence through moneyclaim so I've got 2 weeks to try and attempt (one last time) to sort the daily interest out! - Im also then going to use the same spreadsheet to work out the 8% interest for court action.

Feeling quite positive today - just wish could zoom forward a couple of months or so to see the outcome.

I'm also claiming through the Woolwich and HSBC (both of which the accounts are closed) - does anyone know if Im successful how a payment back to me would be made i.e. cheque etc. The Woolwich and HSBC are also 2 of our creditors under our IVA so am wondering if they will just contact our supervisor and put the money back in the pot so to speak?

R

Halifax - SUCCESS August 2006

Woolwich - SUCCESS January 2007

Nationwide... you're next...

See my sig for a link to the list of potential parachute accounts.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

I just discovered it's cos I have an IVA which is an alternate to bankruptcy. I already have another account just basic with Nationwide but I find it would be easier to have a debit card. I was lucky enough to escape declaring my Halifax bank account to the IVA people and so have been left with full use of chequebook/overdraft/visa debit facility.

I need some inspiration guys - I ususally come on here and read a few success stories re. the Halicrap paying up but hasn't been any new ones for a couple of days or so. Has anyone had to actually go to court with the Halicrap as yet? I didn't have any response to my prelim letter except for the standard bla blah and they said they would contact me by 3rd August - although obviously that wasn't to my timescale so they have til 28th July to reply (actually, Royal Mail show that they received my LBA on 17th July so is it 14 days from then or 14 days from the date of my letter?).

Inspire me.

they have to file a defence to my loan claim within 6 days or i can enter judgement

so watch this space - becuase im watching my online banking

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

14 days from when they recieve it

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

Received a letter from Halicrap today offering £312.00 refund. Pah.

Obviously I don't want to accept this so am not sure exactly what I do now. They still have til end July to comply with my 14 days of LBA do I completely ignore their offer and go ahead and issue MC at end of deadline or do I just send a letter saying thanks but no thanks. If I accept this as partial payment will they pay it into my account straight away and then I continue with my claim or will they withold it all until settled?

If I do proceed with moneyclaim do I have to declare that they made me an offer? If I accept the partial offer will it affect the amount being claimed through MC or should it just be disregarded.

They have obviously now responded to my LBA so do I still have to stick to the 14 day deadline or does this signal my start to go to MC?

Thanks

R

Received a letter from Halicrap today offering £312.00 refund. Pah.

Obviously I don't want to accept this so am not sure exactly what I do now. They still have til end July to comply with my 14 days of LBA do I completely ignore their offer and go ahead and issue MC at end of deadline or do I just send a letter saying thanks but no thanks. If I accept this as partial payment will they pay it into my account straight away and then I continue with my claim or will they withold it all until settled?

say that you wil accept it as partial payment, but you will continue your claim for the full amount. I doubt that they will pay you untill the end

If I do proceed with moneyclaim do I have to declare that they made me an offer? If I accept the partial offer will it affect the amount being claimed through MC or should it just be disregarded.

If they do pay you the patial amount just amend your claim amount

They have obviously now responded to my LBA so do I still have to stick to the 14 day deadline or does this signal my start to go to MC?

stick to the 14 day deadline

Thanks

R

mechs

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

This happens when you contribute to a thread - you get one email to notify you that the thread has been updated until you go and read the thread. Then you'll get another email next time it's updated. You can stop this by unsubscribing to the thread in question. In UserCP there's a box on the right headed 'Subscribed Threads in Folder:'. At the bottom right of this box there's a view all threads link. Click on this and you'll get a list of all the threads you've created or replied to. Tick any that you don't want notification for, then at the bottom right of the list select 'Delete Subscription' then click 'Go'.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Am just about to send a letter saying thanks but no thanks to prelim offer. Can someone have a look at this wording for me and see if it's ok. Also the letter was from an individual at a different office (Leeds) to which I have been sending all my previous communication - should I reply to the individual or use the ref. no. given and just respond to the address I have been using all along?

Dear [ ]

With regards to your letter of 20th July offering £312 as full and final settlement to my claim of £[x]. I will be accepting this as partial payment only and will be continuing with my claim for the full amount plus interest.

I would like to draw your attention to the timeframe suggested in my LBA for which you have 14 days to reply before I commence my claim through the small claims court. This deadline is 31st July since you received the letter on 17th July via special delivery.

Yours sincerely,

[x]

You might as well send it to the person who made the offer. The wording is OK.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Thanks!

I've sent the letter off now.

I finally worked out my overdraft interest using Vampiress's spreadsheet (she is a goddess! and so smart!) :). What I would like to know now is, if I do not receive any more offers etc. how will it work when it comes to Moneyclaim as regards the interest? - I know that I add the 8% claim interest but will there be a separate space for me to enter the overdraft interest or do I just add it to the overall total on my charges?

Just list the parts of your claim: -

Charges: £0.00

Interest on charges: £0.00

SubTotal: £(above added together)

DPA Fee: £(if paid)

Postage: £(recorded, special delivery, etc.)

8% s69 interest: £(from spreadsheet)

Total: £(add everything from SubTotal downwards)

Jeep (The Wife & I)

hi there, been quite busy found out gettin made redundant not a prob yet i hope. all is going well waiting for halifax to decide what they want to do in court but i am struggling myself with the papers. they got me again today £6.oo direct-debit failed they charge me £39 i really carnt afford that charge. this happened cos i paid £120 for court fee i cannot win. still keep in touch cannot help you with interest charges me thicko bye for now

I am just starting to do my homework for tomorrow (MCOL day)! - This is what I have put as my particulars of claim according to what I have been reading in the templates library etc. Can someone have a look please:

The Claimants have an account (the “Account”) with the Defendant that was opened around January 2003. During the period in which the Account has been operating the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants and also charged interest on the charges once applied. The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and the Claimant. There have been a total of 77 charges a list of which is available. The Claimants contend that (a) The charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature; are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant; exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimants; and are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss, but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit; (b) The contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999), the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and the common law. Accordingly the Claimants claim (i) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £2591 [i have a charge due to come out on 31st August for interest - can I claim for this?] and interest charged thereon of £159.45; (ii) Court costs; (iii) The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 30 January 2003 to 31 July 2006 of £274.26 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}.

As you can see I am stuck on the last part - also on the MCOL form it suggests to use the wording "The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from {date when the money became owed to you} to {the date you are issuing the claim} of £ {put the amount} and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of {enter the daily rate of interest}." Should I definitely use what they have suggested or is my wording ok?

1. My HB and I are joint claimants as it is a joint account - though MCOL makes no provision for this - should I just put both our first names with the word 'AND' in the fornames box or do it solely in my name? - all the correspondence to date has been from both of us.
  2. I have changed claimant to "claimants" to reflect this is that ok?
  3. Do I have to provide a list of charges with the MCOL form or should I just leave the wording "is available".

I'm really keen to file this tomorrow as 14 days is up and no second offers - the swines.

Thanks x

Just use one name and "claimant" throughout. Just because the account is joint, there's no need to sue in both names if the bank can act on just one signature when you sign a cheque.

On the daily rate - add up your total claim WITHOUT the 8% interest and court fees. Multiply this by 0.00022 and this will give and answer in pounds and pence (e.g. 0.53 = 53p). Use this figure as the daily rate.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

I can't get the wording down to fit?! - I need to lose nearly 500 characters. HELP!

The Claimant has an account (“Account”) with the Defendant that opened in January 2003.During this time the Defendant debited numerous charges to the Account in respect of purported breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant and also charged interest on the charges once applied.The Claimant understands that the Defendant contends that the charges were debited in accordance with the terms of the contract between itself and Claimant.There is a total of 77 charges.The Claimant contends that:charges debited to the Account are punitive in nature;are not a genuine pre-estimate of cost incurred by the Defendant;exceed any alleged actual loss to the Defendant in respect of any breaches of contract on the part of the Claimant;are not intended to represent or related to any alleged actual loss,but instead unduly enrich the Defendant which exercises the contractual term in respect of such charges with a view to profit;the contractual provision that permits the Defendant to levy such charges is unenforceable by virtue of the Unfair Contract Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations (1999),the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 and common law.Accordingly Claimant claims:return of amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £2591 and interest charged thereon of £159.45;Court costs;the claimant claims interest under section 69 of County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 30 Jan 2003 to 31 Jul 2006 of £274.26 and interest at same rate upto date of judgment or earlier payment at daily rate of £0.61p.

Is this better?

I entered into a contract with defendant

in Jan 2003 which is conducted on their standard terms & conditions.I am claiming the return of money taken by defendant in way of charges over last 4 years +interest they have levied on those charges.The banks charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law.Further as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under Unfair(Contracts) Terms Act 1977 and under Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999.In the event that the charges are not penalties then they are unreasonable under the meaning of Supply of Goods & Services Act 1982.Ive repeatedly asked bank to justify their charges but theyve declined to do so.Claimant claims:return of amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of 2591 + interest charged thereon of 159.45;Court costs;The claimant claims interest under section 69 of County Courts Act 1984 at a rate of 8% a year from 30 Jan 2003 to 31 Jul 2006 of 274.26 and interest at same rate upto date of judgment or earlier payment at daily rate of 0.61p

This is really silly it wont accept this text for some reason (trying to get it on 24 lines).

I entered a contract with defendant in Jan03,

conducted by their standard terms and

conditions.Claimant claims return of money

taken by defendant in charges over last 4yrs

and interest they levied on charges.The

charges are disproportionate penalties and

unenforceable as they are contrary to common

law.Further as disproportionate penalties

theyre invalid under Unfair Contracts Terms

Act 1977 and Unfair Terms in Consumer

Contracts Regs 1999.In event that charges

are not penalties then theyre unreasonable

under meaning of Supply of Goods and Services

Act1982.Ive asked bank to justify the charges

but theyve declined to do so. Claimant claims

return of amounts debited in respect of

charges in sum of 2591 and interest charged

of 159.45,Court costs,claimant claimsinterest

under section 69 of County Courts Act 1984 at

rate of 8percent a year from 30 Jan 03 to 31

Jul 06 of 274.26 and interest at same rate

upto date of judgment or earlier payment at

daily rate of 0.61p

That is less than 24 lines - what error message are you getting? Can you copy and paste it here please?

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.