• Tweets

• Can someone please advise on how to upload picture.  I’ve taken a photo of the first page of claim form and converted to pdf but it saying file too big. It’s only one page
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’. Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time. You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID. You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .. get a CCA Request running to the claimant . https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332502-cca-request-consumer-credit-act-1974-updated-january-2015/ .. Leave the £1 PO unsigned and uncrossed . get a CPR  31:14  request running to the solicitors [if one is not listed send to the claimant] ... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ . .use our other CPR letter if the claim is for an OD or Telecom Debt or Util debt]  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/332546-legal-cpr-3114-request-request-for-information-when-a-claim-has-been-issued/ on BOTH type your name ONLY Do Not sign anything .do not ever use or give an email . you DO NOT await the return of ANY paperwork  you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform [1 in the count] ..............  
    • you IGNORE THEM. stop being had blind nothing anyone can do to you. dx  
    • 3 threads merged for complete history of your debts. i suggest you re read from post 1 again. what are you doing still blindly paying a DCA on a historic debt?  
    • Hi, I have an old outstanding debt from 1994 due to MBNA for £20,000. The debt has been passed to various DCAs and is currently with PRA Group.  I sent them a CCA letter in January 2024. They acknowledged this letter and stated they would come back when they had more information, however the information did not arrive within the 12 working day scenario.. I have just received a copy of the agreement which goes back to 1994 from them. In their response letter they have stated " Please find enclosed documentation received to date: we are waiting further documents in order to complete your request. We have currently deemed this debt as unenforceable which means we are not able to take court or further action against you to recover the outstanding balance". They then go on to state "we are still legally entitled to:  1.Contact you to ask and repay what you owe 2.Pass your details onto a third party collection agency 3. Continue to report your account with the credit reference bureaux (as appropriate)". I'm at a loss as to what I should do next and would appreciate any guidance on this matter. I am currently paying £5.00 pcm. TIA      
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

thorx vs hsbc

thorx
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6105 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

I've gone through all the steps described on this site and finally filed my MCOL earlier this month.

The claim was served on 4 June and it has been acknowledged giving them 28 days to file a defence, which works out to be a deadline on Monday 2 July (this coming Monday).

Now the funny thing is I just received an offer letter from HSBC (signed Mark A Loker, Service Manager) referring to my last letter to them back in May. I guess they're busy! The letter was dated 21 June, but I only received it yesterday (sent first class but Royal Mail have never actually understood the concept of delivery within 2 days have they but that's a

rant for another day :D ).

Anyway, my MCOL claim was for approx £3700 + court fee. The offer letter says they wont pay back overdraft interest and interest on the charges, but even then they're still about £500 short of the charges in my spreadsheet so god knows how they worked out what they would

offer. Now the offer letter stipulates that I have to reply within 10 working days or it will be considered as declined. So basically the offer expires on 5 July.

So I'm thinking I could use the cash (just had my first son come into the world last week), but it annoys me that I have to effectively 'give away' about £1400 which I probably stand to get if I hold on, but of course there's always the risk that I have to go to court..

Should I accept the offer (after all it is £2400 I never thought I'd see again) or should I hang on for an offer from DG?

I'm a bit nervous about hanging on as I haven't heard anything from DG yet and there's only a few days left until the 28 days are up, and you can bet that they'll file a defence last minute. What happens if they don't file by the way?

So what do you guys reckon? I'll be eternally grateful for any help you guys can provide.

thorx

my personal opinion is that mr loker (usually it's colin langdale - i think mark l is hatchet man in training) is doing this for exactly that reason - to make you say a bird in the hand....., better the devil you know....., whatever. it worked didn't it -

you can't tell me he is only just now answering post from may - it's a con - the bank (before you file a claim - don't pay the 8% interest, overdraft interest is reclaimable if figured correctly using the advanced spreadsheet,

bog standard first offer from hsbc is usually 85%,)

so, taking all that into consideration -

yes, it will take you longer to get your money - maybe a couple of months -

so you need to weigh this up -

if you figured your overdraft interest correctly and are willing to wait it out - you will most likely get all the interest and your filing fee and all your charges back.

if you feel the need to get out now (either because you don't think you did the overdraft interest correctly, or because you need the money now,

or for whatever reason) then send this letter back and you will probably be able to up the amount at least by the filing fee amount.

it's up to you.

TWEAK THIS - TO SAY WHAT YOU NEED IT TO SAY:

Date

Dear Whoever

Ref: Your Offer of Settlement

Account: xxxxxxxx

Sort Code xx-xx-xx

Claim No: XXXXX in XXXX County Court

I acknowledge receipt of your letter date xx/xx/xx and your settlement offer of £XXX

Unfortunately, I have already filed my claim with the court. That action has cost me a further £xxx. Were your offer to include my filing fee of £xxx, I would then be able to accept your offer as full and final settlement. I will accept an offer of £XXX.(filing fee plus their offer)

As soon as I receive confirmation from you that you agree to this increased figure I will accept the new offer without prejudice and I reserve the right to make any further claims should you apply future charges that may be considered unlawful under common law or in violation of the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 or Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

I will be willing to withdraw my claim upon receipt of unconditional full settlement of my claim of £XXX.

Should you not agree to this slightly increased offer, I will then continue with my claim to pursue the total amount claimed for. If I do not hear from you within seven working days, I will be forced to continue with my claim.

I am also not prepared to agree to any confidentially clauses you try to impose, unless of course your client wishes to make an offer of due consideration in addition to the amount of £xxxxx, in order to be afforded this privilege by myself.

I look forward to receiving your revised offer

Yours Sincerely

I'm not really too fussed about getting the money right now, but I am slightly concerned that it might go all the way to court and I lose there. Oh well, I guess I should give it a go...and I'm pretty sure my overdraft interest has been calculated correctly.

So I guess I ignore the letter from Mr Loker and wait and see if DG file a defence. You never know - they might forget (unlikely as it sounds though).

So should I send DG a nudge letter? I could get it off by special delivery tomorrow which would give them an option to reply before the deadline...and I haven't sent them anything since I sent the schedule of charges to them when I put the claim in with MCOL.

Do DG usually delay the process for as long as a couple of months? Or is that delay just because they wait until just before the court date to make an offer?

thanks

if youre going to proceed then you should send a rejection letter in reply to the offer from HSBC using a template (or combination of 2 to suit your situation) from here Rejecting Offers

Wait until DG file their defence which is highly likely just as the 28 days expries - then youll get transferred to your local court. Then is the time to nudge them. not worth doing it now - DG wont make an offer at this stage & tend to ignore any correspondence until they are forced to respond (with an offer :) ) by a court date.

Thank you both for your help!

I've just created the rejection letter and will send it later today. Basically my wife says that I've already spent months getting to where I am, so why give in to them without getting all of what I've asked for. :)

I'll post again to let all of you know what's going on..

thorx

i'm secretly glad - although i'd have said you'd done the right thing if you'd accepted - i just like people to get all the money due them really but if they don't feel they can go on - for whatever reason - i back them up.

don't hold your breathe - they are so backed up that it is taking about 2 weeks plus for your to get a paper copy of their defence along with a transfer to your local court - then you wait again til the local court gets in touch to say what they want you to do....

lots of waiting around - but you are progressing.

did you send copies of your breakdown of charges to the courts and dg.... if so...fine....if not....make a note to yourself to do that as soon as the transfer paper arrives (we'd normally do it while it was still with mcol - but i think it's best to wait til the local court has it if you still haven't done it - although you could go ahead and send dg a copy if you haven't already - referencing your claim number)

I know it will take time. You'd think the courts would be fed up with the banks' tactics by now, wouldn't you? I wonder when the first case comes along they decide to give substantial compensation for wasting the claimants time....Several judges have already said they are fed up with the banks wasting valuable court time so I guess if it doesn't stop then they'll be forced to act.

I sent copies of the charges spreadsheet to DG and Northampton County Court (MCOL) when I first raised the claim so I guess that paperwork will be sent to my local court.

Hi Thorx, just read your thread, I got an offer letter from Mark A Locker as well but it took him from 6 March until 14th June to reply to my initial letter, then only one account, still heard nothing from my number 2 account. I declined of course I'm waiting for a court date at the mo. Good luck with your claim tf:)

and you mate!

While I'm waiting for the court to send out paperwork etc I've decided to pursue a few other organisations. Mint Credit Card is first on my list...:) :)

I also checked my HSBC credit card (paid off and cancelled a long time ago), but surprise surprise they never charged me anything. Even when I paid late and went over the limit...I was actually a bit disappointed that I couldn't go after them for some charges applied there as well. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

anyone have any steer on how long it normally takes to be transferred to your local court?

and does the information come from MCOL or from your local court?

i guess my local court will be high wycombe so if you have any experience with it i'd appreciate your view...:)

thanks

My notice of transfer came the day after I started worrying that it was never going to come - which I put down to the magical predictions of Lateralus.:) It was two weeks after HSBC had to submit their defence. I am still waiting to hear from my local court (I've been allocated to Wandsworth) - it will be two weeks on Tuesday since I heard from MCOL.

thanks people!

I was just starting to get worried about it so following chauvesouris lead the paperwork will probably arrive in the morning...:p

pinkdutchess: I feel for you. HW is a dump...;)

Aah i see! I actually live in Loudwater (it's not great, but not too bad), but I definitely would never say it is High Wycombe...A bit snobbish I guess :)

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't received anything from MCOL (or my local court). It's been more than 3 weeks now. Have they lost my paperwork? :rolleyes:

Anyone know if there is somewhere I can call to get the status of my claim?

thanks

Spoke to a nice lady at MCOL. Apparently my case had been forgotten (in the age of computers how this happens is beyond me), but she was going to flag it up with her manager. So hopefully something will now happen...

So not only to do we have to contend with the bank's delay tactics, now the courts are doing their bit as well....:o

I know the courts are overworked due to these cases but this simply isn't acceptable! Then again, what am I supposed to do about it...:confused:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally received the court transfer document from MCOL the other day. Took more than a month, but I guess in the current situation the case is likely to get stayed anyway so...

Should I still send a nudge to DG or will they just disregard? Even if they do disregard maybe I should send just to illustrate that I'm trying to resolve before it goes to court...what do you think?

yes, the suggested approach now is to follow the original plan - up to the point you get the stay from the court - then apply for it to be removed - so yes, go ahead and nudge dg - you'll be able to show - just that - that you are trying to resolve

• 3 weeks later...

Called up the court to ask what was going on as the case was transferred more than 3 weeks ago. I was half expecting that it had been stayed, but was pleasantly surprised that it is still going ahead. The judge has apparently ordered an allocation questionnaire only a few days ago, so should receive that next week.

Good news I guess.. :)

Next step is to learn how to handle the AQ in the best possible manner....