Help reclaiming charges

racer1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Up until earlier this year, when I turned 18, HSBC refunded any bank charges which I incurred. They have now started applying charges to the account. I received a letter last week detailing £100 of charges they would take from the account but no breakdown of what they were.

I just called them and they advised I had gone over my overdraft limit. What had actually happened was one day, I withdrew money, it let me, I presumed there was enough in the account. Same day, I withdrew a little more, then a little more [we're talking tenners here!] and then finally withdrew some more money the next day.

They have applied 3 x £25 charges for the same day and 1 x £25 charge [plus approx £3 interest] for the transactions over the two days. I asked them to supply me these details in writing and she said "we don't do that" so I've asked for a copy of the accounts terms and conditions and their complaints procedure.

I'm about to go through the letters here but anyone got anything to add? AFAIK charges applied on the account were for going overdrawn full stop - not 3 x £25 charges on the same day!

The charges aren't actually on there yet....they will be applied on 29th. Have just been speaking to them but quite rude. Not talking a lot [i think £125 which is small compared to other cases you've probably seen!] but it's still a principle.

What I can never work out is if an account has an overdraft limit of say £1000 and you are £990 into the od, then if you want to draw out £30 then surely it should say sorry cannot process this request rather saying yes here is your cash and then charging you at a later date for going £10 over the limit?

In this case the bank has allowed you to go over your limit so why should you be charged for that!

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

On phone now...he's off script already and panicking....off to speak to supervisor!

What I don't understand is the account is currently £1 over it's limit. I can't withdraw a tenner, but they let a DD for £15 go out today!

It's all cos they make money PPMAN159...!

My son has just been offered his bank charges back of £760.75 but prior to this he had his overdraft of £1500 removed and a default notice registerd because DD's to his loan had not been paid for 3 months as he was going over his Overdarft limit due to penalties. Obviously this £760.75 will not put him in credit as the overdraft facility was removed and further charges will continue to be appiled. How do we accept the offer but have an overdraft re inststed and the default notice removed.

Any ideas anyone

Ppman

funny you should say that, I did ask my bank manager that once because it kept letting me go a bit overdrawn through the ATM and you didnt even realise you were overspending because the balance on the screen was a few days old.

He blamed it on 'The emergency tenner' which is the amount that they let you go over your limit just in case, and his words were like 'you go out and get stuck somewhere in the rain and need to get an emergency cab home'

I.e. a poor excuse to trick you into going slightly overdrawn and therefore charging your @ss £25 for the priveledge of being overdrawn and another £25 for card misuse.

That is their excuse for why you can only go overdrawn a certain amount via the ATM before it says no. One of the bank employees explains about these internal limits a bit better in the 'word from the employees' forum.

On phone now...he's off script already and panicking....off to speak to supervisor!

What I don't understand is the account is currently £1 over it's limit. I can't withdraw a tenner, but they let a DD for £15 go out today!

It's all cos they make money PPMAN159...!

That is what it is all about-making money!

Also as you cannot draw out a tenner why should they be allowed to take their fee?.

PPMAN159

If this comment has helped please click on the scales.

That's what HSBC said to me too......"emergency money" can be allowed "in certain circumstances" - bull! He said you have to meet certain criteria to have refunds applied over the phone, but would not divulge on what that criteria is. Now on hold to other number they gave....

That is what it is all about-making money!

Also as you cannot draw out a tenner why should they be allowed to take their fee?.

The tenner I tried to withdraw this week as there was a little less than that in the account....these charges relate to transactions in mid May, though charges being applied on 29 June.

After half an hour on hold they couldn't understand where I'd got the contact details from and said wrong department!! Apparently they only deal with claims from 6 years to 6 months ago....letter and charges sheet will be sent then.

Anyone ever been told to write to an "Alan Pretty" before? They say they don't have job titles either...!

A quick search on here however brings him up as Senior Service Quality Officer - allegedly.

• 3 weeks later...