Vat Surcharge

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6475 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afraid not, at least not on the same basis as bank penalty charges. VAT surcharges are determined by statute wheras bank penalty charges are a matter of contract law.

The only ways of avoiding VAT surcharges are to demonstrate that they were applied in error or appeal to the better nature of the officer dealing with it.

i have today been threatened with bailiff action (i am a bailiff so that doesnt scare me). the vat man states that a distress warrant will be issued for the collection of "outstanding arrears of vat". my vat is paid up to date. so is this warrant valid ? comments please.

I don't have my manuals here but this link http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000105&propertyType=document#P147_14674

tells you what you can do from Customs' perspective. If they choose to take a tough line with you, you can appeal, but there are times, I'm afraid that you have to swallow what they dish out. I work on the basis that they have to collect subtantial sums of money to be able to fund their extravagant pension scheme.

It's at times such as these that I remember that I am at least notionally a Christian. If someone had suggested six months ago that I might be offering some tax guidance to a bailiff... well, I would have laughed.

In all seriousness, I hate the system as well but you have to pick your fights carefully and on ground of your choosing. Taking them on headlong is what they live for. You have to be subtler than that.

• 1 month later...