help! my son's new school wants to make a home visit!

bp
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5997 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My children are now 16 & 18. When they started nursery school (which was part of the primary school) we had home visits from the two main nursery staff. I hadn't heard of this happening before but I believe it is common practice. The children were introduced to them and we all sat and chatted about what to expect at nursery etc. then the children took their 'new teachers' to their bedrooms to show their favorite toys and books. When my children started nursery it wasn't so scary for them as they already knew the teachers. The teachers could get them talking to other children who had the same intrest in toys or books or had a similar pet etc. I for one think it is a good thing.

I can't see the problem.

Why would anyone want to prevent the school getting a good idea of your kids background? Unless there is something to hide.

Recently at my kids school they started doing home visits in order to find out if bullying was a direct result of home life. It turns out it does in most cases, from their findings.

The parents of these "bullies" are receiving help now both financially and psychologically.

This, i grant you, would not be something i personally would want the rest of the school/community knowing if i was in that position but it's the "little ones" that need looking out for and the schools seem to be doing something about it. Why is that wrong?

It's not wrong for them to ask for a home visit - it is wrong to insist on one. I am happy to invite people into my home; if anyone tries to push their way in (either physically, with intimidation, or with false representations of authority), they will of course encounter resistance.

IIRC, the OP was asking whether the school could insist on a visit; the visit in question would also necessitate the OP taking time off work. In these days of swooping social workers, would the school take a refusal, even on the innocent grounds of inconvenience, as a sign that the parent is 'not interested' in the child's education? Would it raise a 'cause for concern' in the child's educational record?

As long as the process is neutral and transparent, and no consequences arise from a refusal, then I would agree with it. However, you must excuse me for being cynical and distrusting of governmental and social processes - I find it a hard habit to break these days, for reasons that should be evidential :rolleyes:

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

It's not wrong for them to ask for a home visit - it is wrong to insist on one. I am happy to invite people into my home; if anyone tries to push their way in (either physically, with intimidation, or with false representations of authority), they will of course encounter resistance.

As long as the process is neutral and transparent, and no consequences arise from a refusal, then I would agree with it. However, you must excuse me for being cynical and distrusting of governmental and social processes - I find it a hard habit to break these days, for reasons that should be evidential :rolleyes:

I totally agree. Were they insisting? Would they not arrange visits out of normal school hours to facilitate the parent?

I'm as cynical as they come with regards to governmental and social processes but if it's to purely look out for little people...

I'd like to hear from the OP (bp) as to how the visit went. S/he had to arrange six days off to facilitate the school entry, and allowed the home visit because s/he 'didn't want to look awkward'; this IMHO consists of unfair pressure on the parent to comply, and I suspect was generated through poor communication as to the necessity of the visit. As far as I can tell from bp's posts, the school considered the visit 'part of the induction' to the school; this implies that entry is conditional to the visit, and without questioning the school about this, could put people under undue and needless pressure to comply.

-----

Click the scales if I've been useful! :)

Let the kids look after themselves, is that it?

Oh come off it Flappy!

There is such as thing as good parenting you know, and this involves both parents meeting their children's teachers at school, joining in parent/teacher gatherings etc.

It worked in our case, but then that was in the days when teachers taught and pupils learned.

Given what I hear about today's curricula, political correctness, Christian aversion and leftist indoctrination - not to mention the 'amending' of historical fact - it would be my wife and I insisting on a school visit rather than the other way around.

Vandermerwe

I can't see the point you are trying to make Vandermerwe.

You do or don't think home visits are a good thing?

Your earlier post was clear that you didn't want it but your last states that it should be you asking for a visit.

Not trying to be funny.

I don't want my or my kids info on a master database but i think it maybe a bit late too avoid it as info seems to be shared with all and sundry irrespective of my wishes and as i said in an earlier post, our recent home visits were for a very good reason and it's possibly the same in this case but we don't have enough info to judge.

Just to make my point clear, Flappy, I do not want any state employee in my home except in an emergency (e.g. a medical practitoner).

I do not trust anything this government does, or tries to do.

What's wrong with arranging to meet your children's teacher(s) on their own ground?

Am glad you don't want your personal information on a government data base, but you do realise your entire medical history will be so recorded unless you have specifically instructed your GP not to do so?

Van

when my daughter first started reception, we had a home visit, and to be perfectly honest i'm not too sure why.

I know its to make sure the child is in a happy environment etc but apart from that, i dont know :confused:

Please note that although my advice is offered, you should consult your legal representative before taking ANY action.

have a nice day !!

Guest louis wu
Given what I hear about today's curricula, political correctness, Christian aversion and leftist indoctrination - not to mention the 'amending' of historical fact - it would be my wife and I insisting on a school visit rather than the other way around.

When your child enrolls in a school, it is customery for the parents to visit the school, to see the facilities, meet the head teacher etc, and get a feel for the school, so you wouldn't have to insist.

Perhaps I am lucky, my childrens school is wonderful, and although home visits were never discussed, I would have happily agreed.

As always, there are no rights and wrongs, just personal opinions. I would hope, however, that any parents wishing to opt out of a home visit would have their reasons listened to and a compromise found by all parties.

As to my childrens school carriculam, none of the points you refer to apply, perhaps what you hear is incorrect. It's usually best with these things to have first hand experience rather than listening to the scaremongers and their stories.