Reclaiming bank charges..bank want £5astatement

sandeeeee
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6531 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Can anyone help? I wrote a letter to my bank as instructed to claim my bank charges back, they say that they can only give me one year, and if i want anymore I have to pay £5 a statement!!!!! Is this true and if so can I claim it back?

regards

sandy

Was the letter you sent the Bankfodder's DPA letter as found here?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=516

because if so you do not pay £5 per statement!

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

Hello

Can anyone help? I wrote a letter to my bank as instructed to claim my bank charges back, they say that they can only give me one year, and if i want anymore I have to pay £5 a statement!!!!! Is this true and if so can I claim it back?

regards

sandy

Which bank was it?

If my reply or advice was helpful, please click the scales!

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

They have to provide all information they have at a mximum cost of £10 if it is a request under the data protection act. If they refues tell them you will lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner.

You're only interested in the last 6 years (if you've had the account that long) because you can't legally claim past that point. Well, in certain cases you can but that's a very complicated legal argument so I'd stick to the standard limit.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

yes I used the standard letter and it was the clydesdale bank in scotland

regard

sandy

What a silly thing for them to do.. as thecornflake said write back to them and say that as you've paid the statuatory maximum of £10 under the Data Protection Act 1988 they are now obliged to provide *all* information requested within 40 days of the date of your letter, and failure to do so will result in action being taken to remedy that breach. Whether that information means they have to send you statements is their problem, not yours.

HSBC said they'd do mine for free, although quite what they did with the DPA money remains a mystery :)

-------

DISCLAIMER: My opinions are strictly personal, and should not be taken as a substitute for individual professional legal advice on your own particular situation.

-------

What a silly thing for them to do.. as thecornflake said write back to them and say that as you've paid the statuatory maximum of £10 under the Data Protection Act 1988 they are now obliged to provide *all* information requested within 40 days of the date of your letter, and failure to do so will result in action being taken to remedy that breach. Whether that information means they have to send you statements is their problem, not yours.

HSBC said they'd do mine for free, although quite what they did with the DPA money remains a mystery :)

A lot of people forget to mention the DPA and incur ridiculous charges for 6 years worth of statements, even though the banks have had enough of these requestds to know what they mean.

However, when you call them and explain it seems they refund the statement charges for you without too much bother.

I would call them and explain it is a DPA request. If you haven't already sent a £10 cheque then do so now.

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Hello

Just got off the phone to clydesdale....the manager spoke to the legal department and they say they are only obliged to go back one year under the act........and I have to pay the £5 a statement......they seem very adamant.

regards

sandy

Hello

Just got off the phone to clydesdale....the manager spoke to the legal department and they say they are only obliged to go back one year under the act........and I have to pay the £5 a statement......they seem very adamant.

regards

sandy

Oh dear me. OK, letter time it is then! Make sure you send it at least recorded delivery.. you could also put in there details of your phone conversation, naming and shaming, and suggesting that maybe they could train their staff better too as he obviously does not understand the DPA and has now put the bank in a rather messy legal situation now.

-------

-------

Hello all

Just to let you know i got a letter from the clydesdale...guess they are responding to my request and there will be no payment necessary other that the obligatory £10..

thanks for all the info

Hello all

Just to let you know i got a letter from the clydesdale...guess they are responding to my request and there will be no payment necessary other that the obligatory £10..

thanks for all the info

Good to hear they've finally seen sense. When did you first make your request for the information? I'd start counting the 40 days from then, rather than this latest letter.

-------

-------

Hello

regards

sandy

I know you are probably now sorted but thought it worth mentioning that Clydesdale's legal department aren't worth their salaries if they don't know the DPA. It is quite clear that you have a right to request a copy of ALL personal information held on file relating to you. Bank statements going back to when you opened your account (not just 12 months) are personal to you, so you have a legal right to ask for it, and they have a legal obligation to provide it. They can only not provide it if they no longer have that info on file, which would be ridiculous for a bank.

MBNA - Full statements received (Looking for more than £406)

Nationwide BS - Statements received (More than £900)

Nationwide Credit Card - Awaiting statement (More than £400)

Accucard - Awaiting statement (More then £300)

Halifax Card - LBA £450

Shell Visa - Awaiting statement (More than £300)

Cahoot - Statement arrived - calculating total (More than £350)

GE Money - LBA (More than £400)

Ikano - Awaiting statement (More than £300)

Hy All,

Thanks for the replys I took the letter to the bank wednesday morning in the afternoon got the phone call to say only give me a years free statements that afternoon got a letter off this forum stating they HAD BY LAW to give me the info that i requested...saturday got the letter from the clydesdale saying that yep by law they had to give me the statements. I wonder how many other people are put off by the thought of shelling out £300 for statements that are rightfully yours...

regard

sandy