Council Tax - Rebanded

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6204 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

I thought I should let someone know that I just received £1500 back from the council

I had a look at the bandings of my neighbours and realised that there were only 2 in the whole street that were in my banding.Me and a much larger property further up the street. I rang the valuation office who looked into it. They then sent me a reply this morning telling me I had been incorrectly banded and that I would be refunded any overpayments made since I moved in (10 years ago):D :D :D :D :D :D

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!

Hi there,

I thought I should let someone know that I just received £1500 back from the council

I had a look at the bandings of my neighbours and realised that there were only 2 in the whole street that were in my banding.Me and a much larger property further up the street. I rang the valuation office who looked into it. They then sent me a reply this morning telling me I had been incorrectly banded and that I would be refunded any overpayments made since I moved in (10 years ago):D :D :D :D :D :D

Yahoo!!!!!!!!!

Great result - nice one! Mind you £1500 doesn't seem that much for 10 years worth of overcharging... wonder what happens if it's the other way round lol

I first went to this site to see the difference between bandings - UpMyStreet - For Where You Live

Then went to Valuation Office Agency - homepage- check your banding, this gave me a list of all the bandings for every property in my street. I then questioned my councils valuation office. It took about a month and they sent me a letter telling me I had been banded incorrectly and they would be refunding all overpayments by cheque. I asked them to put it directly into my account which they did.

The banding was only from B to A but hey its worth a few quid!! and for very little work.

Toony, I agree with you for the cost of a letter and a phone call its worth it. I heard from a friend that the VOA website was available to look at so I checked it out. Was sure that my council tax was far too high compared to my next door neighbours who lived in exactly the same type of house. I went on the VOA website, saw the banding I was in and appealed against it.

Result.......£1700 refund from the council after my band was dropped down.

It was the easiest thing to do by getting rebanded....the staff at VOA didnt even argue with the query. They obviously admitted I had been charged too much so its worth looking in to