• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

PC World Won't Repair/Refund After 28 Days

Bill Gates
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6183 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I personally feel that 'Retailpointofview' is actually an employee of PCWorld et al and not the sole business trader that he purports to be due to his 'experience' in the retail sector.

FACT: The contract lies with the store from where the item was purchased!

FACT: Phoning Head Office may be preferable to people living miles away from an easily accesible store and is another option

Since you are reputedly a solo-vender retailpointofview I would suggest that you quit this train of thought where we we should all phone Head Office. I rather suspect that you actually work in one of the chains since you claim to know so much about them but that's not the issue.

I sincerely hope that my laptop doesn't break and you don't work in the Leeds branch of PCWorld :p

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Precisely Parva

The customer is entitled to take it back to the shop they purchased the faulty goods from and they are legally obliged to sort it out (subject to the relevant burden of proof).

If an employee of the shop concerned attempts to deny you that right, they break the Law (which does not consider ignorance to be a valid excuse).

In my case, I purchased online so the Distance Selling Regulations applied, which are different and do not req

I offered an alternative simply because I recognised that it might be mutually beneficial if E-buyer wanted to exercise its right to repair the fault rather than replace the whole machine.

within the first 28days the store can offer refunds. but after this point they need authorisation from head office.

NO THEY BLOODY WELL DON'T! They may choose to have such a system to complicate matters and inconvenience the customer. What if head office says no to a legitimate request for a refund?

Are going to say "Sorry, head office says no. Parliament says you can, the Lords endorsed it and Her Maj gave it her Assent. But that doesn't matter because....."?

Stop talking utter rubbish, stop forcing other people to continue to post corrections lest some poor soul believe your posts to be correct and follows what you say.

You obviously know little on the law, yet carry on spouting rubbish as if you were the fountain of all legal knowledge.

Maybe a warning should be put up every time someone comes to a CAG page:

"Ignore retailpointofview and his fevered delusions. He will post inaccurate comments that no-one will continue to bother to correct, hence this warning. Proceed at your own risk"

Considering he's a sole-trader, he does know a lot about the internal politics of PC World.

Well, I say that, however, he does get that wrong also. When I worked at the there the store managers didn't require permission to issue a refund from head office. Actually, it was usually the other way around, the manager refused to follow the legal route, so head office issued the refund and charged it to their store anyway.

Anyway, right or wrong in law, PC World considers its stores to be there to sell and make money, not become masters of retail law. The staff turnover is just too high to make that a realistic scenario anyway. If you mention retail law to the store, they'll more than likely refer you to head office to discuss it with someone who is more familiar with the law than they are.

actually reading my comments you will see i mention time and time again that i am a sole trader. i deal with the issues directly. i no longer buy manufactured computers i build them myself.

i have spare parts in the back office for all the computer i ever sell. i even give my custoemrs the options to refund replace or repair. i do not demand nothing from my customers apart from respect.

read my comments next time. shows how much you read if you not even see the points i made about my own business.

Actually retailpointofview, while I heartily disagree with the stance you are attempting to defend, you are right to upbraid me for my inaccurate criticisms of you and I apologise to you unreservedly for them. I hate people ganging up on others and found myself doing just that, so I will slink away shamefaced.

Yours in chagrin

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

To comment on the PcWorld theme.

They could put the SOGA to good use and actually profit from it.

All they would need was some nice large signs in their stores saying.

"If your goods are defective then return them and we will be only too pleased to repair or replace them. If, on the other hand, the goods are not faulty after examination, then the customer will be charged for that examination."

This would turn in some good profit if it is correct as stated earlier, that 95% of returned goods are not in fact defective, just operator error.

Whoa Conniff, you're opening up a whole can of worms there! PC's are a strange entity because unlike a microwave oven or a fridge freezer the user really can screw a PC up by pressing a few wrong buttons. I do actually sympathise with PCWorld techies that have to deal with stuff like that but it should be easy for them to diagnose that it's operator error and then offer to fix it for a price.

Guest retailerpointofview
:D

:lol:

If that is as far as you have got with a business degree, then I humbly suggest that you look for another employment.

Are you a NASCR or PCA member, if so you would be better using your time to get some pointers from thier forums, instead of propogating your own interpretation of the law here.

Anyway, if yor making £10 on a £500 PC, then drop me a line and I'll get one of my companies to supply you and you can make £50 on each, and I'll still make more than you on each one!

easy enough to make money on a computer. but i believe in supplying my customers with high quality low prices. trust me mine even beat PCWorlds. and thats even with their buying power.

my money comes from the extra's and software.. and there is alot of profit in that. my business survives because of the expereince i give my customers that they become loyal and return, and return and return.. not because of high prices like other who want to make an instant buck then throw out the door.

my aim is not to sell computers. its to sell the consumables and software.. selling a high quality high spec PC just gets them in the door initially. then they love me and return time after time.

my shop was originally a comsumables shop.. but i use the computers as a advertising point to get them into my shop.

the computers advertise my shop successfully and i make £10 from it and generate loyal customers. thats free advertising, generating £10 per customer and potential of more in future.

many companies waste thousands on advertising but not get thousands back. this way i stand to lose very little.

did you know microsoft earns more from stuff like advertising on its website and the tunes people download from msn then it makes on a piece of software.

think about it sell one customer a PC or software suite that lasts 5 years for £50 and never see them again because they dont need to buy another one for 5 years

or

sell a PC with £10 profit that lasts them 5 years and ink for their printer at £10 profit every three months.. do the maths (£210 over 5 years). ill stick to my tactics. as my customers love it.

there is no profit in PC's end of story. consumables and repeat spending is the way of the future.. werent you ever taught that?

No, they are not allowed to fob you off. The warranty period has nothing to do with the contract that was formed between you and the retailer, it is supplied from the manufacturer. You don't have any dealings with the manufacturer; the retailer has a duty to first, offer a repair, and if the repair is not satisfactory, then either a new item or a refund. The six-month period is for burden of proof: basically, if the item goes wrong within the first six months, the onus is on the retailer to prove that it is the customer's fault. After the six month period, then things like wear and tear come into play and an investigation of the item would probably be necessary to determine what went wrong with it.

To recap, PC World are obliged to offer you a repair; failing that, a new printer or a refund. Legally obliged. Don't let their poorly trained, extended-warranty-commission staff tell you otherwise. Demand to go higher up if you get no joy. If the manager's a horse's bottom, then it's letter-writing time. Come back to us and let us know.

Interestingly enough, I have just bought a TV from Curry's and their sales staff told me that the item came with a 12 month "manufacturers guarantee" and that if the item was faulty they would return it to the manufacturer (originally he said I must send it back to the manufacturer but changed this later in the discussion when I began challeneging him) - but there was an additional 28 day period in which I could return the item and get a refund or new item.

Having read this thread I was fairly well armed with information and pointed out that Curry's as the retailer have a legal responsibility to repair or refund within the first six months. The young sales assistant eventually said that they (the local store) have been issued "guidelines" by head office that instructs them to adhere to this "manufacrtruers guarantee" nonsense and was prepared to budge on it. He said that I should contact HQ if I wanted to query the matter further.

Interestingly, for an extra £20.00 I could buy a three year warranty that allowed instant exchange of the same or equivalent item at any nationwide store.

In other words, Curry's are not only ignoring the law and their responsibilities under it, but instructing their staff via a head office issued guideline to do so. Is it not a case similar to "conspiracy to defraud" for head office to issue a guideline that psotively contravenes the law?

The customer can, of course, buy their lawful right for an extra twenty quid...

The burning question I have therefore, is who is responsible for enforcing retail law on an individual basis like the example above - if indeed any body or entity is? It used to be Weights and Measures who enforced the tinmgs but is it any longer within their jurisdiction?

Shoestring

The more I read this site, the more congratulations I want to heap on CAG for the invaluable service they are performing. Bravo!

Provided they are sending it back to the manufacturer, though, they would be adhering to the law.

If they were actively promoting a policy which attempted to restrict customers' statutory rights, then the Home Authority Trading Standards department for that company would be able to advise their Head Office.

TS can't enforce individual civil cases but they can certainly advise traders who are getting it wrong.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Provided they are sending it back to the manufacturer, though, they would be adhering to the law.

If they were actively promoting a policy which attempted to restrict customers' statutory rights, then the Home Authority Trading Standards department for that company would be able to advise their Head Office.

TS can't enforce individual civil cases but they can certainly advise traders who are getting it wrong.

Thanks you. Disappointing to learn that there is no independent body to enforce retail law. I have just found that it is civil law: ergo, caveat emptor. Pity. My feeling is that where purposeful and knowing breach of law is encouraged it should be a case of caveat venditor -- but there appears to be no one at home to enforce it. Enacted to look good for the public but and be contravened by the retailer, I should (cynically) think.

Thanks again.

Shoestring

I believe a couple of authorities will assist and even represent you in court. I would imagine if this would be something in the general consumer interest, and really one-offs rather than a regular occurence. But as said, in terms of enforcing civil law, that is a matter for the parties to the contract.

But as said, in terms of enforcing civil law, that is a matter for the parties to the contract.

Albeit that these stores/retailers are willfully getting it wrong because they obviously profit from doing so. It's a bandit's charter...

Shoestring

Guest retailerspointofview

they are actively promoting a policy that gets the product fixed in days not weeks.

they are not delaying anything.

they are not limiting your options.

you can still call the head office and ask them to sort it out. you can still ask a recommended third party too. you could after 28 days ask for a refund.

but arn't you happy?? no you have to demand things from the one area of the company that cant deal with a fault there and then on the spot. and then say its your legal right.

and going to the manufacturer will not affect your legal rights.

ask the DTI (third time i requested you check this out)

Guest retailerspointofview

NO THEY BLOODY WELL DON'T! They may choose to have such a system to complicate matters and inconvenience the customer. What if head office says no to a legitimate request for a refund?

reply to purple bit. if there is a proper LEGITIMATE reason and they say no then take them to small claims.

i did write a lengthy reply about the rest but whats the point..

lets break it down

trading standards regularly check retailers.. yearly check their literature is valid and legal

and

if there are a number of valid legal complaints from consumers then they take action.

DSGI have been trading for decades..

as of yet TS has not said their after sales leaflets are illegal, especially the part "if it is over £100 call 0870 242 0444 for further advice"

i wonder why.. maybe because it is legal!!!!

they are actively promoting a policy that gets the product fixed in days not weeks.

they are not delaying anything.

they are not limiting your options.

you can still call the head office and ask them to sort it out. you can still ask a recommended third party too. you could after 28 days ask for a refund.

but arn't you happy?? no you have to demand things from the one area of the company that cant deal with a fault there and then on the spot. and then say its your legal right.

and going to the manufacturer will not affect your legal rights.

ask the DTI (third time i requested you check this out)

Og god. I read the first little bit and though "AT LAST! THE MESSAGE HAS GOT THROUGH!". But no, you go and spoil it. Carry on RPOV, you're nearly there (but so was Apollo 13.....)

actually reading my comments you will see i mention time and time again that i am a sole trader. i deal with the issues directly. i no longer buy manufactured computers i build them myself.

That wasn't you on House of Horrors tonight was it? :o

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

I really don't want to be seen to be 'ganging-up' on ROPV but I'm sick of hearing this 'contact Head Office' bull, not to mention that you can go direct to the manufacturer and not worry that you have compromised your contract with the store.

You buy laptop from PCWorld and it breaks. You return to PCWorld. It is THEIR job to sort it out, as in the store. Whether they have an in-house repair team is of no consequence, the store itself is liable to resolve the problem.

Go to Head Office if the first route is unsuccesful but never, ever go direct to the manufacturer within the first 12 months.

Folks, I'm going to have to say this:

I think you should stop answering him. Eventually, he will get bored and move on.

If you see him "advising" someone wrongly, by all means, post the correct information up so that OP can get the help they need, but otherwise, let him argue with himself. He is so convinced of his own knowledge that you will never get him to see sense, so don't bother. You know he's wrong, we know he's wrong, all we need to make sure is that some innocent doesn't get caught in his rhetoric.

If it gets too bad, hit the report button. :-)

You buy laptop from PCWorld and it breaks. You return to PCWorld. It is THEIR job to sort it out, as in the store. Whether they have an in-house repair team is of no consequence, the store itself is liable to resolve the problem.

Go to Head Office if the first route is unsuccesful but never, ever go direct to the manufacturer within the first 12 months.

If you buy a laptop from PC World and it is faulty you cannot go to the store as they do not have the technicians or the parts to repair the laptop in store there and then. They have an inhouse repair team for PC's. PC world have a specific repair team for laptops and all their laptops now come with a next day "IN HOME" repair service from the techguys. why bother going back to the store regardless of your rights when you can call and get some to come to you with the parts they need and sort your laptop out or just give you a new one.

secondly all this talk about legal mumbo jumbo...why cant someone just get the right thing from a legal website and post it up to clear up this matter once and for all. i work for a major retailer and we also give the customers a 28 day grace period to return items and after this time it has to be referred to the repair team that is ours to assess the claim...

if i find the law written someplace ill post it up..

If you buy a laptop from PC World and it is faulty you cannot go to the store as they do not have the technicians or the parts to repair the laptop in store there and then. They have an inhouse repair team for PC's. PC world have a specific repair team for laptops and all their laptops now come with a next day "IN HOME" repair service from the techguys. why bother going back to the store regardless of your rights when you can call and get some to come to you with the parts they need and sort your laptop out or just give you a new one.

secondly all this talk about legal mumbo jumbo...why cant someone just get the right thing from a legal website and post it up to clear up this matter once and for all. i work for a major retailer and we also give the customers a 28 day grace period to return items and after this time it has to be referred to the repair team that is ours to assess the claim...

if i find the law written someplace ill post it up..

Have you read and digested / understood ANYTHING on this thread?

It isn't mumbo jumbo, and is very simple indeed. The consumer's contract is with the retailer, regardless of who manufacturerd the laptop and where the nearest authorised repairer is.

If, for the sake of argument, the consumer wants to get their laptop repaired as quickly as possible, and aren't bothered about later consequences, then of course its up to them to go directly to the manufacturer, or any 3rd party repairer.

But they would lose any further rights under the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) for later claims against the retailer, and the manufacturer is under no obligation (as far as I know) to offer any guarantee on the repair.

What if the 2nd laptop breaks? What do the techguys do about it then?

It just seems to convenient to me that everyone is having so many problems with PC World. Ive bought all my Pc's from PC World and had no issues with aftersales. I bought my HP 1665 from them last august and had an issue with it over heating....called up the techguys and got them to come out the next day. they changed the heatsink and fan in the laptop and its working fine ever since. If you go into the store causing fuss and abuse and just say what you want no one is going to listen to you. they are humans after all.

With the whole dixons group, ALL laptop repairs are carried out by the techguys (used to be mastercare) regardless of what the problem is simply because the technicians in the store dont have the tools or parts to repair things. this is not breaking any law as the contract you "sign" is not with PCW but with DSGi the parent company which is the retailer and "techguys" falls into this umbrella so PCW are within their rights to refer laptops and PC's to them.

If there is a problem with anything within 28 days then fine, no problem, you can get a refund / repair / replacement - but thats a stated time not a legal time limit.

Ive looked online for the law but there is nowhere where it states there is tied contract for 6 months as previous "lawyers" have mentioned on this thread.