• Tweets

• You can edit the answers to be in red or would you like me to do it? HB
    • Apologies dx100uk  I did not put the answers in red  Thank you all for your patience. H
    • Which Court have you received the claim from ? Northampton  Name of the Claimant ? Overdales solicitors  How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.  13 may 2024 What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim? the claim is for the sum of £6163.61due by the defendant under an agreement regulated by the consumer credit act 1974 for hsbc uk bank plc. Account 4546384809766042. The defendant faild to maintain contractual payments required by the agreement and a default notice was served under s 87(1)  of the consumer credit act 1974 which as not been compiled with. The dbt was legally assigned to the Claimant on 23/08/23, notice on which as been given to the defendant.  The claim includes statutory interest under S.69 of the county courts act 1984 at a rate of 8% per annum from the date of assignment to the date of issue of these proceedings in the sum of £117.53 the Claimant claims the sum of £6281.14. Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?   Not to my knowledge. Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  Online but it was for a smaller amount they kept on increasing this with me asking Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  It was assigned to a debt collection agency  Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? yes  Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  Yes I also made offers to pay original creditor a smaller amount but was not replied to Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  No Why did you cease payments? I was made redundant and got a less paid job I also spent some time on furlough during covid and spent some 3 months on ssp off work. What was the date of your last payment?  May 2021 Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan? Yes at the time I communicated with all my creditor's that I was running out of funds to pay the original agreements once my redundancy money ran out that was when my accounts defaulted. I then wrote to all my creditor's with pro rata offers of payments but debt collectors took over the accounts.
    • Just an update for all. I received about a letter every other week, increasing in threat levels. Then I hadn't had one for a about two weeks, then Saturday received a carbon copy of the very first letter they sent me in February. Made me laugh, rinse and repeat. 
    • So, your response was not received by the SCP as you did not send it with a valid stamp. Therefore, from my two option in post #14, the first option is the only one available to you, but you do not have the option of asking to be sentenced at the fixed penalty level as the reason the SCP did not receive your response was down to you. Here's a reminder of what to do: Respond to the SJPN by pleading “Not Guilty” to both charges. In the “Reasons for pleading Not Guilty” box state that you are willing to plead guilty to the speeding charge providing, and only providing, the “Fail to Provide Driver's Details" (FtP) charge is dropped. This is a tried and tested method to deal with your problem and is almost always successful. Before the pandemic it was necessary to attend court to do this "deal" because it needs the agreement of the police prosecutor.. During the pandemic courts made every effort to have as few  people as possible attend and they began doing this deal under the "Single Justice" procedure without the defendant's attendance. Some courts have carried this procedure on whilst others have reverted to a personal attendance being necessary. If you are required to attend, your case will be taken out of the SJ procedure and you will be given a date for a hearing in the normal Magistrates' Court. If that is the way they do it in the area involved you will have to attend, see the prosecutor and offer your "deal" in person. 
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

molsi01 v Barclays

molsi01
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5956 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, thanks to the link sent by saintly_1, I have more things to worry about!

First of all, if I do apply for judgement, it seems that Barclays can ask for it to be set aside... but what exactly does that mean? Im sorry, but Im not that clear on legal terms.

Also, how often do we think that MCOL would make the mistake of not realising that the claim has been acknowledged? If I phone MCOL and they say that no, the claim hasn't been acknowledged can I trust them? I dont want to email Barclays asking if they have acknowledged it when they haven't as it could prompt them to do so! Finally, does anyone have an email address I could use for Barclays? (Sorry for the long post...)

Dont know if anyone saw my earlier post... can anyone help me with my questions? (Sorry to sound impatient, but its getting close to my deadline - i.e. tonight!)

I wouldnt be too impatient to apply for judgement a set aside which means they get extra time to produce the acknowledgement think its another 28 days if they then dont responde you win because they cant apply for it to be set aside again. I would wait a day or 2 before applying for judgement as they will more than likely of acknowledged your claim

The email address for Barclays Litigation Team can be found here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/94602-barclays-litigation-team-good.html

OK, help needed! Today is the day I can issue a judgement by default on MCOL as Barclays have not acknowledged my claim, but I have a couple of questions after reading some of the threads on here.

Is it worth getting in touch with the Litigation Dept. at Barclays first to tell them I am about to issue judgement? (My argument against this would be why should I, if the roles were reveresed I wouldn't get contacted would I)

Should I check with MCOL by phone first to make sure they haven't made a mistake on the website and Barclays HAVE in fact acknowledged?

Any advice gratefully received...

I am not an expert on this stuff, but I wouldn't contact Barclays just yet because you will tip them off that they haven't acknowledged.

The banks have been known to get away with late defences, so I would just go ahead and apply for the default.

As for the website being wrong, you should soon find out if you apply for the default.

After doing what I should have done in the first place and READ MORE POSTS(!) I have decided to write to the person who has been dealing with me so far (well, the person who made the offer) and offer him 7 days before applying for Judgement. Here is the letter I will be sending - any comments gratefully received:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offer of settlement.

Dear Martin Bennett,

You have not filed a defence for claim number 7XXXXXXX at Northampton County Court, and the time to file a defence has now passed and judgement in default has been granted.

I am writing to give you one final opportunity to make full payment of £X,XXX.XX

(This breaks down as £X,XXX.XX of charges and interest, plus £XXX.XX court costs)

If I have not received payment in full by 4pm on 13th June 2007 I will file for Judgement in Default.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That sounds ok, doesn't it?!

You have put in your letter that a default judgement has been granted when it hasn't! I would give MCOL a ring to see if they have acknowledged yet, the mcol site doesn't update automatically it can take a couple of days to show up.

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

Funnily enough, I just spoke to MCOL and a very nice lady by the name of Sue said that the website is updated the same day as the acknowledgement or defence is received. I know I have read at least one thread where the site wasn't updated, but in my case its all accurate so far. She said I could now claim for judgement by default, hence the wording of it being granted...

Hmm, my experience is that MCOL only update ONCE a day.

and that is around 11am.. So if a defence is entered AFTER this time it will not be updated until the following [working] day

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

http://news.sky.com/skynews/madeleine

If I dont reply to a direct question please feel free to PM me.

I would still stay it hasn't yet been granted as Barclays also have a nasty habit of acknowledging and defending late and get away with it (which I personally think is unfair).

Hit the judgement button then if mcol have given the go ahead lol

28/2/07

8/3/07

14/3/07

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

Hmm, my experience is that MCOL only update ONCE a day.

and that is around 11am.. So if a defence is entered AFTER this time it will not be updated until the following [working] day

Mine didn't update for 2 days after acknowledgement and defence

28/2/07

8/3/07

14/3/07

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

28/4/07

11/5/07

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Well Im giving them an extra 7 days anyway - I didnt want to automatically apply for judgement, then have Barclays apply for it to be put aside and then have more delays... Im trying to be nice to them and say "look, if you settle now its another case you can cross off and forget about so you can concentrate on the thousands of others". Im also thinking that because of the excellent reports I've read about her, I will contact Krysta at the litigation team after the 7 days are up and see what she says.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, an update. I didn't file for judgement by default, and now Barclays have submitted a defence. I am now waiting to find out which court my case has been transferred to. I am about to start getting my court bundle together (be prepared, as the boy scouts say) but I have read on here alot of people actually contact the litigation dept. and see if they will settle before going that far. When do you think would be a good time to do this? Should I wait for my court date first? Any help gratefully received...

I must admit, Im feeling a leeetle nervous now. I didnt think it would go this far. Im not worried about going to court (I've been enough times through certain driving offences!) but Im just a little nervous about getting everything right with regards to documents, questionnaires etc. I think I'll wait to see what court I get transferred to and when the date is, then maybe contact the litigation dept. Are there any examples on this site that could be used as wording in a letter / email? Also I heard from a lady at MCOL that the AQ's are no longer being sent out - has anyone else had experience of this?

Livelylad, thanks for the info. I'll get the court date through then get in touch with her. saintly_1 I dont mind paying the fee (I assume I can claim this back?) and I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get the AQ.

Livelylad, thanks for the info. I'll get the court date through then get in touch with her. saintly_1 I dont mind paying the fee (I assume I can claim this back?) and I guess I'll have to wait and see if I get the AQ.

Yes the AQ fee can be reclaimed. You may be waiting a while for a court date. Ring the court to find out roughly when your case will be heard. Rininging Barclays now will do no harm.

Livelylad - I know this is going to sound daft, but Im not sure what I would say to Krysta! I dont know if I should try and be nice and friendly and chatty, or if I should just be all business (polite but firm). Im not sure if Im comfortable with getting into a phone conversation...as Im in no huge rush to get this completed, maybe I'll stick to communication via letter / email? (Coward, I know...!)

Livelylad - I know this is going to sound daft, but Im not sure what I would say to Krysta! I dont know if I should try and be nice and friendly and chatty, or if I should just be all business (polite but firm). Im not sure if Im comfortable with getting into a phone conversation...as Im in no huge rush to get this completed, maybe I'll stick to communication via letter / email? (Coward, I know...!)

Just write down the points that you want to make before you phone her. Just be polite but firm she is a friendly person so you will be fine.