Capquest & Tesco Personal Finance

neil1821
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6284 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I'm a newbie on the forum, so please excuse me if I'm going over old ground here. I've read several threads on here about Capquest so I'm getting a good impression of the sort of people they're like to deal with.

My issues with them started last month when I received 2 letters purporting to be from Telogram holding a message for me. Sounded a bit fishy and a quick search online soon told me who they were. I ignored the letters on the basis that "if capquest have something to tell me, then let them tell me up front".

So following that I've now received a letter dated 2 March informing me of a debt of £1035.30 sold to them by Tesco Personal Finance, and this was followed by a letter dated 15 March from H L Legal solicitors threatening court proceedings.

A couple of points:

Firstly, I don't acknowledge this debt in any way, shape or form. As far as I can remember I've had absolutely no dealings with Tesco Personal Finance.

Secondly, I haven't as yet acknowledged Capquest in any way. I've not contacted them and I haven't yet been subjected to phone calls, but who knows, that may come.

I've seen some excellent advice on other threads on this forum, and I now appreciate that the onus is on them to prove any debt to me. I've also read about CCA letters, etc.

My question for now is this:

Is it in my interest to continue my policy of completely ignoring these lowlifes? (since the onus of proof is on them, can they take this further if I simply ignore them?) Or should I at this point acknowledge that I've received their letter by firing off a CCA letter in response? Either way I'd like them off my back.

Not sure which way to jump.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Neil

Neil

Send off a CCA request to capquest together with £1 ( make sure it's recorded delivery) you'll find a letter in the templates section. This will ensure that if they can't comply then they can't enforce the debt without applying to the courts after 12 days (plus 2 allowing for postage) as you are probably aware if they have still not furnished you with any agreement 30 days or 1 calendar month afterwards then they have commited a criminal offence and should be reported to the relevant authorities. Make sure that your CCA request states that you do not acknowledge this debt.

I've just sent off a letter to capquest informing them that they committed an offence with regard to a debt they were trying to collect from me. I am now compiling a letter of complain about capquest to send off.

If anything it'll bring clarity as to whether or not this is a genuine debt but I doubt whether they'll be able to supply you with anything.....the CCA request will also let them know that you will not be bullied !

OWL

I've now sent off a CCA request to capquest about this, and with a bit of luck they should receive it tomorrow (I'll be checking!)

Would somebody mind just clarifying for me, do they have 12 days or 12 working days to comply from date of receipt?

Even if they were to comply fully with the CCA (which I'm not holding my breath for), I have grounds for complaint already against capquest and their solicitors H L Legal, so I'm figuring out who to eventually complain to.

So far I have:

OFT

Hampshire TS

CSA (Credit Services Association)

Law Society (about H L Legal)

CCTA?? (Consumer Credit Trade Association) - their logo appears on the letters from H L Legal

Does that sound a reasonable list?

Neil

I've now sent off a CCA request to capquest about this, and with a bit of luck they should receive it tomorrow (I'll be checking!)

Would somebody mind just clarifying for me, do they have 12 days or 12 working days to comply from date of receipt?

Even if they were to comply fully with the CCA (which I'm not holding my breath for), I have grounds for complaint already against capquest and their solicitors H L Legal, so I'm figuring out who to eventually complain to.

So far I have:

OFT

Hampshire TS

CSA (Credit Services Association)

Law Society (about H L Legal)

CCTA?? (Consumer Credit Trade Association) - their logo appears on the letters from H L Legal

Does that sound a reasonable list?

Neil

12 Working Days

Just hate every DCA out there

Well, I've had an initial response from Capquest after my CCA request.

First part says "the account is on hold for 28 days while we obtain the information, blah, blah, blah". Fine by me since they default after 12 days.

The rest frankly baffles me. They carry on "if you have any proof of payments or correspondence that would assist...please forward these documents"

Well, I CCA'd them saying I don't acknowledge ANY debt to them, so why do they think I'd have any proof of payments?? That's what I'm asking them for, among other things! And the only correspondence I have is with them, Capquest!

This next bit I'd appreciate comments on. In a separate letter they say "please contact this office on 0870 xxxxxxx to confirm important security information related to your letter of 23rd March 2007" The letter they refer to was just the standard CCA request, so what's the ploy here?

They know my name & my address, I know nothing about their alleged debt, what other possible relevant information is there?

Suffice to say I have no intention of phoning them.

Oh and one last thing. In the time taken for them to receive my CCA request and reply, the balance of the alleged debt appears to have gone from £1035 to £1046! Evidently they're adding interest daily, but they're not allowed to do so while the alleged debt is in dispute. Is that right?

Sorry to go on and on, just thinking aloud.

Neil

It's not your job to assist them, if they're doing their job properly they'd have the documents. You're right not to phone or contact them while the clock is ticking, and the letter further backs up the proof that they've received your request.

Also they don't need extra ID or security questions if the address on your CCA is the same as the usual home one to which they've been writing. Think about it: they want proof of who you are but were happy to chase you for a debt anyway. That goes against OFT guidelines, so naugty naughty Capquest.

They shouldn't be adding interest, but odds are they're adding charges (probably for sending you that letter). Don't worry about it, becuase what are the chances of them having any proof that you owe them money?

I used to get about five calls a day from these jokers chasing somebody with a similar name to me. If I put my real opinion of them, I'd probably be banned for bad language!

• Barclays: WON!!! It took four months but was totally worth it!
  • Cabot: I'm still waiting for an enforcable agreement, more than a year after requesting it. Go on, Uncle Ken, take me to court if you dare. You know you want to!
  • Elephant.co.uk: VICTORY - they admitted there was no debt!
  • Ashbourne Management (gym membership): Finally got my default removed and out-of-court settlement; I'm not finished with them yet!

<--- If I've been helpful please remember the scales ;)

Thanks djdave,

Always nice to have a second opinion. That's pretty much what I thought.

I used to get about five calls a day from these jokers chasing somebody with a similar name to me. If I put my real opinion of them, I'd probably be banned for bad language!

Likewise if I wrote what I was really thinking, I'd probably be banned from this forum! Don't know if this is a good thing to admit, but now I know where I stand (thanks to this forum) I'm actually quite enjoying taking on these lowlifes. I intend to chase them all the way.

Interestingly, my son got a similar letter yersterday, stating the account is on hold for 28 days while they investigate his query.

Surprised by the very quick response, e mailed there legal depart last thursday night, followed up by a letter on tuesday.

Waiting for a reply from Scotcall on the same subject.

Just going to go inwriting to Vodaphone about them passing the dept onto two DCA, without any communication with my son.

Also asking if this is legal or not and which DCA actually holds the account????