• Tweets

• oh well i wonder what new fake documents they have made up then...for them to try this.... just to check nothing funky like Link have filed an n244 to lift the stay and strike out her defence....she hasnt moved since last court comms has she?   is this an n24? bit unusual for a 13mts stay to just be lifted... has she not received anything from link/kearns in the last fw weeks like a docs bundle? bit like this thread... https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/466576-lc-assetlinkkearns-claim-form-2-mbna-cc/?do=findComment&comment=5256397  
    • if the agreement was taken out jan 23, then she has not reached the 1/3rd mark so the car has not become protected goods under the consumer credit act.  this puts her in a very very vulnerable position regarding ever keeping the car....whereby once they have issued a default notice they can legally send a guy with a flatbed (though they are NOT BAILIFFS and have ZERO legal powers) to collect the car.  if the car is kept on the public highway then they can simply take it away and she will legally owe the whole stated amount on the agreement AND lose the car. if it's on private property i'e like a driveway, ok they shouldn't take it without her agreeing, but if they do, it's not really on but its better than a court case and an inevitable loss with the granting a return of goods order. are these 'health reasons' likely to resolve themselves in the very short term (like a couple of months?) and can she immediately begin working again ? i'e has she got a job or would have to find one?  answer the above and we'll try and help. but she looks to be between rock and a hard place . whatever happens she will still have to pay the loan off...car or no car....unless you can appeal to the finance company's better nature using health reasons to back off for xxx months.
    • no need to use it. it doubles the size of the thread and makes it very diff to find replies on small screens too. just like @username it - sends unnecessary alerts to people. everyone that's posted on your thread already inc you ...gets an automatic email alert when someone else posts.
    • Hello all,   I ordered a laptop online about 16 months ago. The laptop was faulty and I was supposed to send it back within guarantee but didn't for various reasons. I contacted the company a few months later and they said they will still fix it for me free of charge but I'd have to pay to send it to them and they will pay to send it back to me. The parcel arrived there fine. Company had fixed it and they sent it via dpd. I was working in the office so I asked my neighbours who would be in, as there's been a history of parcel thefts on our street. I had 2 neighbours who offered but when I went to update delivery instructions, their door number wasn't on the drop down despite sharing the same post code.  I then selected a neighbour who I thought would likely be in and also selected other in the safe place selection and put the number of the neighbour who I knew would definitely be in and they left my parcel outside and the parcel was stolen. DPD didn't want to deal with me and said I need to speak to the retailer. The retailer said DPD have special instructions from them not to leave a parcel outside unless specified by a customer. The retailer then said they could see my instructions said leave in a safe space but I have no porch. My front door just opens onto the road and the driver made no attempt to conceal it.  Anyway, I would like to know if I have rights here because the delivery wasn't for an item that I just bought. It was initially delivered but stopped working within the warranty period and they agreed to fix it for free.  Appreciate your help 🙏🏼   Thanks!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mazamarie vs Abbey

mazamarie
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

Thanks spoonerlee, lula & charley...

this is my letter I would like to send in response to the letter I received today - any suggestions or changes you think I should make please let me know... Maz

Response to Gesture of Goodwill.

Dear Gerry Kane

Thank you for your letter dated 20th March 2007.

My total claim amount was £779.00 in charges this is now reduced to £729.00 a reduction of £50.00 in reflection of the gesture of goodwill payment which was credited to my account in the form of two separate payments of £20.00 and £30.00 in miscellaneous charges.

I have revised my schedule of charges and a copy is enclosed with this letter which I am also sending via first class recorded/signed for delivery.

My Letter Before Action was sent via first class recorded delivery on Tuesday 13th March 2004 in which I gave your organisation 14 days to respond with a full settlement of my claim. You now have until Tuesday 27th March to respond with repayment of my claim in full.

If I do not receive full settlement by Tuesday 27th I will have no alternative but to issue a claim via the county courts small claims procedure. The Court will allow me to reclaim interest at a statutory rate of 8% from the date each charge was incurred plus court fees and also I could charge for my time in preparation of my claim.

I fail to understand how your organisation or any banks can expect to continue getting away with the unlawful practice of applying excessive penalty charges to their customers accounts, and I will be very pleased when this practice is ruled out by law.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all!

I updated and reworded slightly my letter above and have sent it via first class recorded delivery today....

Had no response to letter above so I hope that everyone will think it is ok!

maz - - revised letter below

Response to Gesture of Goodwill.

Dear Gerry Kane

Thank you for your letter dated 20th March 2007.

My total claim amount was £779.00 in charges this is now reduced to £729.00 a reduction of £50.00 in reflection of the gesture of goodwill payment which was credited to my account in the form of two separate payments of £20.00 and £30.00 on 21st March 2007 as miscellaneous fee refunds.

I have revised my schedule of charges and copy is enclosed with this letter.

My Letter Before Action was sent via first class recorded delivery on Tuesday 13th March 2004 in which I gave your organisation 14 days to respond with a full settlement of my claim. You now have until Tuesday 27th March to respond with repayment of my claim in full.

If I do not receive full settlement by Tuesday 27th I will have no alternative but to issue a claim with the County Court.

I will point out for your benefit that I am fully aware of my rights. The Courts do allow individuals to claim back bank penalty charges in full and any interest charged as a result of charges taking them over their credit limit. Also if a claim is taken to court Statutory Interest at the rate of 8% from the date each charge was incurred plus court fees and up to £9.26 per hour for time taken in preparation the claim are also claimable.

I trust this clarifies my position.

Yours faithfully

:( I have posted a letter which I have fully printed out and signed - its on my thread Mazamarie vs Abbey...

Please could some of you very experienced and helpfull people give it a look over and let me know Should I post today as it is or would you recommend some changes?

Also Im currently £450 overdrawn with a £700 overdraft limit - should I be getting this overdraft paid off sharpish?

Any help greatfully received!!

Maz

Guest louis wu

It looks ok, but I am unsure if you should include the 'costs' of £9.25. As your claim is in the small claims court, you are not automatically awarded costs (as you would not be liable for abbeys costs if they contested).

Apart from that, it looks fine.

Louis

Hi all - I'm still waiting for a bit of help!

I Have the letter here! with the registered post stickers etc - I am waiting to post it because I want to make sure that I am not saying anything wrong in my letter..

I have been pretty daring in what I have said and I am now unsure of myself...

I hope someone replies to my thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/76038-mazamarie-abbey.html today/tommorow before 11:00 am otherwise it will be in the post and it will be too late..

Pllleeeeese ;) Help

maz

why have you started another thread?. the last paragraph i personally wouldnt put. dont make it complicated, just send the tried and trusted rejection letter off. thousands before you have been using this. :rolleyes:

Hi again - - think I'm talking to myself here

Now I have sent letter but ommitted the last sentence

Also if a claim is taken to court Statutory Interest at the rate of 8% from the date each charge was incurred plus court fees and up to £9.26 per hour for time taken in preparation the claim are also claimable.

Now I feel much better about the letter, not that it will make any difference but at least I said it...

I'm getting nervous now --- got to get my N1 sorted by Tuesday 27th.

The template looks really good but I'm a bit confused? do I need to go to court and pick up the N1 form itself or can I find it online i.e. HM Courts website?

maz

I have merged 4 threads into one.

Please keep all questions in this thread. If noone answers and the thread falls down the front page of the forum then post 'bump' into it and it will return to the top of the page.

Keeping all posts in one thread helps us to keep track of your case and helps you as you won't need to keep repeating the same questions.

BEFORE starting your claim read through the FAQ's and if there's something you aren't sure of then ask.

If you win, donate to this site

Contents of my posts are purely my own personal opinions, some formed by personal experience and some from research. If in doubt seek qualified legal advice.

Hi there, the letter is OK. The 8% applies at the stage where you take your claim to court after the 14days in LBA run out. As to payment of costs, as said before this is not automatically awarded. it would be at the discretion of the court and would be on the basis that Abbey have acted unreasonable by allowing the case to go so far when your claim is the same as thousands and that Abbey has been able to settle other cases with costs aso your claim would not be any different.

You can claim costs and time spent at a much later stage after AQ and a court hearing date has been given along with directions from the judged. You claim for the time spent doing a court bundle. As i've read somewhere, Abbey (inga) has admitted that the average court bundle takes around 20hrs.

Hope this helps

Help please - you lovely people!!!

I'm now filling out my PDF N1 to take to court tommorow as today Tuesday 27th is my deadline for reply to LBA:-

When I fill out the bit at the bottom of the 1st page of the PDF N1 form????

In the blue bit where there are the boxes for amounts should I put the amount of the claim including statutory interest at 8% and add court fees to give a total amount to date at the bottom??? or should I just put the charges not including statutory interest???

I think I should include the statutory interest 8% in the Amount Claimed..... Just double checking...

As I said I'm actually filling the form in right now as I write so a quick answer will be really helpful

Iv'e swapped days at work especially to do this....and I'm a bit unnerved..

Is there a checklist to ensure that I send everything I need with the 3 x copies of N1?

maz

Bump

from particulars of claim N1:

5. Accordingly the Claimant claims:

a) the return of the amounts debited in respect of charges in the sum of £729.00 and any interest charged thereon;

I take it this means the basic amount without any interest added....

thats why I'm confused about filling in the bit at the bottom of the N1...please TAKE A LOOK at my previous thread...

Im really quite nervous now :eek: - filling in the N1 and I won't submit it until I know I've done everything right...

maz

"bump"

Hellooo!

bump, bump, bump

Anyone out there?

bumpety bump

Help I've fallen down a hole!

Everyone seems to be ignoring me :( and my "daft?" question/s...

I just want to make sure I've filled my N1 in right thats all - then I can take it to court tommorow!

Please look at last couple of posts on my thread

maz

Thanks Karnevil

Your da man - wow I did it right!

Just one more question - in the spreadsheet including interest at 8% which I'll sending with the N1 (in triplicate)

How do I deduct refunds...

wont refunds affect the interest for the charges they should be applied to... (Ive not applied them to specific carges and just gave the date and description of what they were for as given on the statements.

I have put the refunds at the bottom of the list as -(minus amounts) before the amounts are added up but removed the interest calculation... how does that sound?

Sorry to be a pain but just don't want to get anything wrong when submitting to court...

maz

A1 - Tripple Star advice as usual Karnevil!

Just off back into my spreadsheet to undo the damage, then all should be well for tommorow when I submit to court!

I'm nervous and excited now!

maz

Hi all,

Thanks for all the best wishes, Burnley County Court now have my 3 x copies of the N1 and schedule of charges I have receipt for £80.00 court fees and off we go...that felt so good!

Big up to leecabs, kidneybeaner, knellyk, fendy and everyone else who's on the

I even told the courts clerk what I thought about the banks and their charges and she was in full agreement and said that the courts were getting a high volume of claims for penalty charges!

So a waiting game and then . .

From what I gather - this is whats happening next - - -

Abbey now have 28 days to respond with a defence or settle, or they loose by default - - - If they respond with a defence the case will then proceed to Allocation? Then the court send me an allocation questionnaire to fill in? and I will need to prepare the court bundle (all letters, statements etc)...

If Abbey contact the court at the last minute they can have another 28 days to prepare their defence? Is that right?

When Abbey write to me regarding their defense I can then contact them offering to take settlement in full out of court (including court fee?)?

I'm off to do a bit more reading up just so I can feel a little more confident as to how it goes from here....

Maz

No abbey will have 14 days from date papers(n1) deemed served which will prob be friday to state if they wish to defend or not

if they defend they then have 28 days from date the N1 was deemed servered

if they do not respond with in the 14 days you Supposedly win by default and can apply for judgement

it will be come clearer when you get copy from court saying your n1 is deemed servered

the info in regards defense or claim for judgement is on it

MY CASE

Newbody Vs Abbey

NB: Please read the FAQs & step-by-step instructions thoroughly & completely before commencing any action

the following is a link to a web archive of abbey websites over the time click on month under year to access Abbey's site for that time period to get what the terms and conditions were for when you opened your account Internet Archive Wayback Machine hope it helps or here for where i have started to pull them out to http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/abbey-bank/91707-archives-abbeys-web-pages.html

Advice & opinions given by me are my views or how i would respond, and are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group & are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions & actions are your own - if in any doubt, seek the opinion of a qualified professional

OOOOH Newbody - Thats Friday the 13th April :eek:!!! - lol

I'll bump and let you guys know when they let me know re defending the claim...

I dont understand why they bother defending at all when in the end they give in before court what a waste of their time and resources - wonder how much they pay their legal team....?

When I think of what they did to us fining me £350 in one week just before Christmas 2005 - I still get really angry I will think about that any time I feel nervous or worried re whats to come..

Maz

That's exactly why alot of us are doing this Maz, coz it's made us really angry...... I recall the exact same thing happening around Christmas time - being really hard up for cash and then getting about £300 in bank charges as an extra Chrissy Prezzie.

Now is the time to wreak our revenge!

Good luck dooder!

:cool: