lowell (red debt collection services)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4615 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make them prove it - send them this

Dear Sir/Madam

You have contacted me/us regarding the account with the above reference number, which you claim is owed by myself/ourselves.

I/we would point out that I/we have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to (insert company name).

I am/we are familiar with the Office of Fair Trading Debt Collection Guidance which states that it unfair to send demands for payment to an individual when it is uncertain that they are the debtor in question.

I/we would also point out that the OFT say under the Guidance that it is unfair to pursue third parties for payment when they are not liable. In not ceasing collection activity whilst investigating a reasonably queried or disputed debt you are using deceptive/and or unfair methods.

Furthermore ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment amounts to physical/psychological harassment.

I/we would ask that no further contact be made concerning the above account unless you can provide evidence as to my/our liability for the debt in question.

I/we await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise I will have no option but to make a complaint to the trading standards department and consider informing the OFT of your actions.

I/we look forward to your reply.

Yours faithfully

Hi

Can anyone tell me how i go about sueing these guys for harassment, also is is possible to invoice them for letters i send in reply.

many thanks

Hi - I have already prepared my first invoice. I received another letter today (ignoring my own previous 2 letters to them - 1 statute barred letter and the other sending a further copy of it). I am billing them at the rate of £100 per hour. They will never pay up of course unless by some strange mischance an administrator decides to process the invoice without querying it. Suing might be costly unless there is a personal way of doing it (ie rather than use solicitors), but the consensus seems to be that these people will eventually stop - oh but it's tedious. I am sending them the proforma letter about harrassment. Won't get me anywhere, but at least I can then submit a further invoice for "work in February". Game on!

A friend has recieved a letter from the red debt collection services. In the letter they claim to have bought her debt from Barcleycard dating back to 1991. She is certain that she has never had a Barclaycard. They also are refusing to provide her with any details of the alleged debt, but are offering a 50% discount to her. It has been stated, on the phone, that if she pays it they will leave her alone. They have obtained a D.O.B. from her and are asking for banking details, which she has refused to give. Are they acting within the law to refuse to provide evidence of this debt?

A friend has recieved a letter from the red debt collection services. In the letter they claim to have bought her debt from Barcleycard dating back to 1991. She is certain that she has never had a Barclaycard. They also are refusing to provide her with any details of the alleged debt, but are offering a 50% discount to her. It has been stated, on the phone, that if she pays it they will leave her alone. They have obtained a D.O.B. from her and are asking for banking details, which she has refused to give. Are they acting within the law to refuse to provide evidence of this debt?
Not only are they in breach of OFT guidelines on the collection of debt, they are in very clear breach of the Credit Services Association Rules (an old boys club for DCAS). Apart from anything else this alleged debt would be Statute Barred and therefore unenforcable. No wonder these clowns were so keen to offer a discount to get her card details. Report them to Leeds TS, the OFT and the CSA although the latter are as much use as a chocolate ashtray in my opinion

These people seem to hope that you will give in quietly. I am glad I did a search and found this site. Give them no information at all, from what I have read here they have to prove the debt exists. Send them a copy of the Statute barred letter and make sure you do it by recorded delivery.

They will send you another threatening letter which you could file or send to TS and the OFT along with details of their approach to you.

I would never talk to them on the telephone, only communicate in writing and keep copies.

Dont forget that Lowells also need to produce a properly executed CCA agreement that contains ALL the prescribed terms as well as an up to date Statement of Account before you need to pay them.

• 9 months later...

hey guys, I have received a letter from Lowell stating I own Vodafone £1666.50!!!!!! I canceled with them more than 3 years ago. They told me that I can pay half of that as they have a deal going for the month.

I am not going to pay as I feel I am not liable for this money.

I have sent them a letter as your tamplet, what is the next step?? can anyone tell me?

Hi - wondered when they would show their heads above the parapet again. Follow the templates closely - they worked for me! They will try to grind you down with threatening letters whilst ignoring your own, send things to them by recorded delivery, and don't talk to them on the phone - be very careful. From what I can gather, they buy up other companies' closed accounts and then fire off "you owe us" letters regardless of whether or not you do. It helps if you can treat it as a game..... not easy I know but it does help. Under no circumstances admit you are liable even if you think you might be (after 3 years, unless you have evidence, it's difficult to be sure in yourself - I know they tried to claim off me after 15 years - ludicrous of course cos statute barred).

wat3r

If I remember correctly it is up to them to prove you owe. Follow the advice given here it is most helpful. We sent a cheque to them asking for a copy of the credit agreement, we subsequently had a call from a person claiming to be Mrs Halifax. The cheque we sent to cover the cost was from Halifax Bank. Now I am not saying it was RDCA but I suspect they may have been ignoring our letters not to try to make contact with us other than through the post. Always make sure who you are talking to these days and close calls if you don't know the person pdq.

We went back to the Company we are supposed to have had a debt with and got them to withdraw the file from RDCA and they paid us for the time and distress they caused us. Try starting with the press office at Vodaphone if you think you have a case. They will quickly boot it up the line of command if they see a problem coming.

Hi, this is my first post, please be gentle with me as I have only just got back to a state in my life with no debt and am just trying to stay that way!

About 5 and a half years ago my boyfriend left me. He had run up large debts on my credit cards, we had just bought a new house which he ceased paying for and I got into a complete mess and lost my life savings. I have paid everything off apart from one thing... At the time of him leaving I informed the bank (Halifax) of my problems and told them the full situation. I took my partners card for our joint account from him and still actually have it. He applied for another one (when he had already moved out) and proceeded to cash 18 cheques using the cheque guarantee card. I realise I have no dispute as it was a joint account so when Lowells started to harass me I made monthly payments. I also gave Lowells details of my ex partner so that they could chase him aswell but I know for a fact they didnt and out of frustration I stopped paying. I ignore all of their letters and put the phone down on any call centre that rings. I have now received an offer to clear the debt by half. Should I pay it just to be free? It is a HBOS debt and i wonder if they would be willing to let me clear it with them (i figure I might get a better deal) but if they have sold the debt to Lowells then I presume they wont. I dont know if Lowells legitimately own the debt.

• 1 month later...

Hi,I received a letter from Lowell financial regarding my debts.Tha actual letter relates to arranged payments but primo there is no date when do i have to pay and for how long,secundo they ask me to pay by cheque or postal order(why is that,can't I just transfer the money or pay straight into specific account) and tercio they attached standing order mandate.The most important thing is that i can't see any figures!!!IMy offer was to pay 120 from 250 and with monthly instalments of 30 pounds.What should i do now?Send them again letter with request to proof of agreement with all figures and dates?

Hi Deejay

You really need to start your own thread on this and be more specific :)

Unless your query is in relation to your original thread on CAG?

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/153393-debt-collection-service-letter.html

In which case, post on that one ;)

hi

i believe it is related, my question is just another stage of dealing with lowell.I've been receiving letters from lowell asking for repayments of my debts to t-mobile and decided that i no longer want to have anything in common with them and simply sort that once and for all which in this case means to pay it off as the easiest option.I sent them my solution to the matter and now i got this letter in which they telling me to repay my debts but in the letter there is no specific sum of which i have to pay ,no specific date just the request to pay by cheque or postal order and standing order mandate form.My proposition was to pay 120 of 250 with monthly instalments of 30.I'm just wondering how am I going to know if they accepted this or not if there isn't even a word in the letter saying about that.thanks for your help

• 2 years later...

Heres my story, Are you sitting comfy?

Im a very happily divorced man whos Ex wife took all my paperwork and details when she moved out in 2005. we sold the house and parted 5050 split. now in 2011 Lowell have contacted me re my debt with 3 mobile. (the debt i dont have) i called 3 and even after i failed to answer their security questions they still helped me. It turns out that someone took out a 24 month contract in my namein 2005 just after the sale. However most of the info was correct. other than contact details ie email, adress (the old address) password etc.

So i told Lowell to go to hell. not my problem. i then got a letter from them stating i owed a large loan with EGG card also. never having an Egg card i contacted Egg for info. they wouldnt talk to me as i couldnt answer their security questions. Ive spoke to Lowell regarding this and they have stated as payments came out of my account i was liable. Ive writen to Lowell requesting the bank details used and all paperwork relating to both the Egg and 3 mbl account. This was sent recorded deliverya month ago and to date ive not heard another thing from them.

Im waiting to find out if the money came out of my old account. (stopped using this account years ago) however can i claim back any money taken from this account? also its the same account the money from the house sale went into so didnt notice any money going out of it as it was just sitting there for a long while ie savings dipping into every now and then. also i know who could have done this, hint hint, but have no way to proove it. any advice would be most grteful.