JT2k6 V's Barclays

jt2k6
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hiya all

Well here goes, after days of umming and ahhhing I have decided to take the plunge, and take back what is mine.

I have one concern, Barclays have applied to my account what they call paid referal fees, everytime something goes out of my account that takes it past it's overdraft limit, they charge me £10 per item, is this the same as a penalty charge, it is also quite small, (didn't someone say £12 was a reasonable charge), should i claim these? added up they come to over £700.

Thanks in advance for your help

ttfn

PS.

I have religously kept all statements for past 9 years so have all the information needed to claim back charges.

do i still need to carry out the first step? will i need information in the format they will send me later or is it just to cater for those without the information to hand.

thanks

Hi jt2k6, and welcome,

In answer to your question, the paid referral fees sound like penalties, so go ahead and reclaim them. At the end of the day it is up to Barclays to provide a breakdown of these charges. Until they can or do, you can claim all the penalty charges they have applied to your account;

If you have all your statements then what are you waiting for??!! No need to carry out the first step (as this is done to get hold of the statements) go straight on to working out how much you have been charged over the past few years, and send them a preliminary letter requesting it all back :)

• Haha 1

Crash

DAY 1: 12/09 - S A R to British Gas

DAY 45: 27/10 - Data Non-Compliance sent off

DAY 67: 18/11 - N1 Deemed served

DAY 114: 03/01 - Judgment served £60 cheque rec'd; Prelim sent for overpayment refund of £393.06

24 Days: E2Save Settled in full £70

59 Days: Barclaycard claim Settled in full £134.39

162 Days: Halifax Settled in full £1543.80

179 Days: Barclays1 Settled in full £2450.45 + £447.02 in costs

254 Days: Barclays 2 Settled in full £1450.91

Advice & opinions offered are personal, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

go for it!

Check you've got ALL your statements for the period, and if you're sure you have, then just go through them, enter all the 'paid referral', 'unauthorised overdraft', 'unpaids out' etc. fees into the spreadsheet which you'll find in the template library.

then send them a 'preliminary request' letter (also in the library) along with a copy of your spreadsheet. Then read lots of this site, because you won't hear anything for a while.....until they send you a standard letter saying they'll be in touch about Christmastime. Ignore it. When they've had your prelim letter for 2 weeks, send the Letter Before Action. By this time, you should be as well informed as me....

Best of luck,

David.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

well not been much to report until now, thats why it has been quiet.

My preliminary letter went of, recieved back from them exactly 14 days later the standard, sorry your not happy.. blah blah... have a copy of this useless booklet etc...

sent of my LBA and recieved a reply again exactly 14 days later (they must of had a lot of practice of sending letters to arrive on the 14th day) and this is where it gets interesting! (well maybe not TOO interesting but needs some assistance)

I asked them for £795 they offered me £540 and send upon recieving my confirmation they would pay that amount into my bank (oh they also said that they were not admiting guilt it was just a goodwill gesture... yeah whatever)

I'm tempted to accept however £600 would be nice (am I just being greedy) and I deffinatly don't want it being paid into my bank, i'd like a cheque or at the very least it being paid into a nominated bank account (again, am I being greedy?)

Thanks for all your help so far...I'm so close!!! i can almost taste the glory!

TTFN

Hi jt2k6,

It's your call here, if you ask for £600 they will probable refuse. If you decide to take it all the way it will take another 3-4 months, but you will get all of YOUR money back, plus your court cost's and 8% interest on top. Remember it's your money.

Have a look here and see :-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bcard-woolwich-successes/42260-alex-barclays-3.html

Good luck

Lex

• Haha 1

Please help us to help you. Download the CAG tool bar for free

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

Please don't rush, take time to read these:-

&

This is always worth referring to

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't have 3-4 months, whats the chances of saying I will accept that amount but only as part payment and will persue the rest via the courts? is there a templat that will do this for me?

also how would i request the payment be made by check? is it time to get on the phone?

Thanks all again

Hi jt2k6,

Rejection letter is here :- http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/25716-rejecting-offers.html

I'm sorry to say that if you tell them you will accept that amount but only as part payment and will pursue the rest via the courts, they will withdraw their offer. It's standard policy. Barclays rarely make a 2nd offer, and will wait until you file court papers on them, hoping you will withdraw. Obviously enough people must, to make it worth their time behaving in this manner. I'm afraid you can't short circuit the system, but if you preserver, you will get all YOUR money back, but it does take time.

Good luck, whatever you decide,

Lex

HERE and use the search option for all your searches. CAG earns a few pennies every time !!!

&

Advice & opinions given by me are personal, are not endorsed by the Consumer Action Group or the Bank Action Group. Should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

OK cheers,

Think I'm going to have to take the money and run.... but still want a cheque? do you think me asking for payment by cheque would constitute rejection of the offer I had recieved? if its a yes then I might as well plod on.

if it gets paid into the bank it will be swallowed by my overdraft and I will never see it!

was really excited when I got the letter, feel a bit dejected now :(

how do the banks do it? geting me worked up even though they are offering me £500+ pounds

thanks

Well they still have some of your money, so they have won :(

Yes, you can accept their offer, only if it is in the form of a cheque.

Stipulate this in your reply, and refuse a transfer if you think the money will be swallowed up by your account.

Lex

&

And if they refuse, you can still decline and persue you claim though the courts :)

Lex

&

How does this sound for a letter asking for payment by cheque?

All coments gratefully recieved

Thanks

Dear Mr Boothroyd

Your ref: 1002VQXZ

Re: sort code ?????? AC number ????????

I refer to your letter of 19th April 2007

Many Thanks for your response to my previous letters and your offer of £540:00 as Full and Final Settlement of my complaint, I will be willing to accept this on the proviso that the payment is made to me by cheque.

Failure to make the payment by cheque will result in me continuing with my claim through the courts according to the timescale set out in my previous letters.

Yours sincerely

like this?

check the red text

"Dear Mr Boothroyd

Your ref: 1002VQXZ

Re: sort code ?????? AC number ????????

I refer to your letter of 19th April 2007

Many Thanks for your response to my previous letters and your offer of £540:00 as Full and Final Settlement of my complaint, I will be willing to accept this on the proviso that the payment is made to me by cheque.

Failure to make the payment by cheque within the 10 days you outlined for paying the funds into my account will result in me continuing with my claim through the courts according to the timescale set out in my previous letters.

Yours sincerely"

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

the situation has changed somewhat for me over the past month or so, and I have decided I am going to accept the offer of payment into my account.....only problem is the wife got a bit carried away cleaning the otherday and i think the return envelope got binned, do anyone know where the acceptance letter should be returned to?

the address on the letter is the consumer relations department does it go back there?

thanks all

I would say that you should use the address on the letter :)

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

or send it to the address dar£n has given you lol :)

28/2/07

Sent request for repayment of charges totalling £2,800 (I want it ALL back!).

8/3/07

Barclays send sorry your not happy letter

14/3/07

Letter before action sent

25/4/07

Barclays offer £1,790

27/4/07

Thanks but no thanks to the offer sent

28/4/07

Filed with mcol, now looking at a figure of £3,500, they should of paid up when i asked nicely :-D

11/5/07

Barclays acknowledge claim

30/5/07

Barclays defend claim

19/6/07

Received notice of transfer to Northampton County Court and barclays excuse for a defence!!!

Yep,

Dar£n's right,

BARCLAYS BANK PLC

1 CHURCHILL PLACE

LONDON

E14 5HP

Lex

&