• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Has anyone been "sold" a loan by the Coop to cover unlawful charges (overdraft) and then been successful in getting their money back?

phatram
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Has anyone been "sold" a loan by the Coop to cover unlawful charges (overdraft) and then been successful in getting their money back?

If so, would you please post links to threads.

Many thanks

Mr P

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

A few years ago we were persuaded to take out a loan to pay off O/D, I think it was for 4000.00. We have since had two more loans both of which were to again pay off O/D and previous loan. Present loan is for 10K.

How do we start to claim back interest etc? Have read loads but just don't understand it.

These loans were from the Co-Op and on all occasions someone rang us up to explain how much better off we would be if we had a loan off them !!

I know theres a spreadsheet to work it out but I just don't know where to start. Is there an idiots guide to this anywhere please?

We had an O/D, the COOP persuaded us to take out a loan to clear it. The O/D was there because of charges which we have now claimed back, so if the charges weren't there we wouldn't have had to take the loan,so surely we must be able to do something?

It does sound very unfair Phatram. Do you still have proof of all the unlawful charges on the old account ?... and any correspondence from Co-Op advising you to take out the loan to clear them ?

If so, someone who has dealt with something similar may be able to help you from here.

We have the loan agreements. The account is still open, we've had it since 1983, the loans (3) have only been taken out in the last 8 years and each time they rang us up to offer the loan to us.

Normally, the advice would be to send an sar to the bank to ascertain the

amount of unlawful charges applied to your account with a view to reclaiming them, plus the interest attached to those unlawful charges.

However, in the light of the spate of companies being unable to supply the

executed agreement, it might be an advantage to send them a CCA request

first. If they provide you with a copy, then revert to an sar.

Thanks.

I've got all the info after claiming back 10,000 in charges, interest etc.

I just don't know how to start working out what, if anything can be claimed back or how to prove we had to take out the loans because of unlawful charges.

Of the three loans we have taken out, all three have been to pay off an overdraft which in part was caused by charges.

Help please.

We have successfully claimed back nearly 10,000, which was made up of unlawful interest and CCI.

Charges = 3910.50

CCI =5429.76

1st loan was taken out to pay off an o/d and then 2 more loans which some of the money was used to pay off o/ds with our Co-Op account.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/cooperative-bank/41027-phil-alison-co-op.html

My argument is,if they hadn't applied unlawful charges to our account we wouldn't have had to borrow so much money ?

• 3 months later...

Would it be worth looking at it from the mismanagement of account issue?

I'm no expert, just another downtrodden consumer, but this seems unfair.

We have had similar treatment from Lloyds TSB so appreciate your position.

I think within the forum there is some clause re the banks mismanagement of your account.....help anyone?

Good luck!!

• 1 year later...

Co-op have asked me to put my case in writing. I wondered if anyone has a template or if anyone would help draft a letter/template to help in a case such as this?

I'm in the process of doing a spreadsheet showing the loan amount,the capital to pay off debts, the capital to pay off charges and interest on those charges and the interest in dispute.

Any help from anywhere will be gratefully received.:)

subbing - sorry can't help at present but I am inspired to do the same with Lloyds

Not sure how it would work as it looks like with an outstanding charges reclaim I may be asking for interest on the charges twice

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

The straight charges claim at contractual interest is more than the loan interest so if it one or the other would prefer that. However since the overdraft was zeroed then there should have been further interest charged on the charges apart from that proportion contained in the loan - but I am asking for contractual interest for the whole time period regardless of whether the account was in credit or not

Then again this tactic might go through a little quicker so I could adjust my charges claim later

If you can keep you head when all of those around you are losing theirs try parking your helicopter somewhere else

The PPI Saga

And I have asked for overdraft interest for this year which is on an overdraft that is completely charges and also additional to the charges themselves plus straight contractual so if we can do that we should be able to claim the interest portion back form the loan

The PPI Saga

I took the first bit form my list of charges but only included those charges between the current loan and when it had last been refinanced prior to that and used the daily interest calculation from one of the spreadsheets on here just for the period from when my current loan started to now - if that makes sense?

The PPI Saga

Co-op have asked me to put my case in writing. I wondered if anyone has a template or if anyone would help draft a letter/template to help in a case such as this?

I'm in the process of doing a spreadsheet showing the loan amount,the capital to pay off debts, the capital to pay off charges and interest on those charges and the interest in dispute.

Any help from anywhere will be gratefully received.:)

bump