• Tweets

• Whatever the nuances of the law, they will be lost on OPS, who like the rest of the PPcs never bother to get planning permission, ever. When they get a new contract they don't want to delay issuing PCNs by deigning to follow the law, especially as the period when they take over and the parking restrictions are new is the time when they can catch most drivers out.
    • I had some contact with this company earlier in my working life but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest that you haven't already done. During your grandfather's time  British Celanese was a subsidiary of Courtaulds. Courtaulds was subsequently (after your grandfather had stopped working there) acquired by Alzo Nobel. They in turn closed down the Spondon site and sold it. I have no idea what the number is that you are trying to call. It's a Derby (Spondon) area code but the number appears not to be allocated. From my slim knowledge of the history of the company I would have expected your grandfather's pension to be in the Alzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme.  But Willis Tower Watson are the Pension Scheme Administrator of that scheme and would be the people who should know if your grandfather had contributed. Is your grandfather certain he contributed? Joining pension schemes wasn't compulsory in those days. Or might he have got his contributions returned when he left them? That happened sometimes back then. Sorry not to be of more help.      
    • I am sorry I am not aware of this report from IAS assessors? The Court will consider my application at a online hearing in June. The Court instructed me to send Bank copies of my sons condition proving he could not have been the driver I have heard nothing further. My son is not aware of any proceedings I have not involved him to avoid causing him distress, he has been sectioned a fair few times and I need to avoid this happening.
    • I am very pleased that the Court has taken the decision to allow you to  represent your son and hope that he is happy enough with that to relieve the stress he will also be feeling. I do agree that Bank parking are so insensitive, greedy, horrible etc etc to continue proceedings considering  in what it is a very minor case of a wrong number plate . Even their  own  IAS Assessors, who are normally hopelessly biased in favour of their members, went out on a limb and said  " The Operator's evidence shows no payment for the Appellant's vehicle, or anything similar. It does show two payments for the same registration in quick succession. I would take a reasonable guess, based on the circumstances described, that the person paying has paid for the registration of the person they assisted again." That is damning evidence and you must take that report with you as well as including that in your Witness Statement which we will help you with. I would expect that Bank would discontinue the case at that point.  But I am sorry to say  that you should not count on it.  
    • Evening all,   I have deliberated over this offer for two weeks and I have decided to take their offer. I do understand that some may prefer us to go to court and receive a judgement but with our personal circumstances and my current military commitment that could become an issue. I am so grateful for all the help and support you have all offered me over the last few months. I will continue to monitor this site and push all those that are being wrong to get in touch.   Thank you! what you all do is truly amazing!
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Me vs A&L

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6093 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question if I may. Following those instrurtions I'm not sure what to do about part 3, whether to include this section and the copy of the order. As I didn't fill in an AQ would it standing alone look out of place; my guy is to take it anyway (better be safe than sorry) I just hope I don't have to say much, I'm usually quite the talker but this will shut me up!

Yes, take the draft order to propose to the judge. List the reasons why as per the post so you can tell the judge why the directions are appropriate.

Good luck, not that you'll need it - you'll be fine.;)

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

Thanks all. Just got home, no cheque on the doormat so off we go. I can asafely say I'm ****ing bricking it, and if I get through today without dying of a heart attack I'm posting them a letter tomorrow asking them if the want to settle. I don't know how I'd do in a real court!

was just checking in my lunch hour how you were.

will look for news later

jansus:-|

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif

offer from A&L 24/8/07 - after case stayed

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Thanks all. Am back in one piece.

There were 4 cases at the hearing, 2 of which were for A&L. 20 minutes in a solicitor turned up for Alliance, who were working on behalf of Wragges as (by his own admission) "when they have a lot of cases on going the agreement is we take cases on and vice versa"

I asked about amending my claim, the court has agreed I have until 7th June to submit the amendment and a witness statement in writing to them, and also to the defendant. Mr Askew (the sol) wanted then 21 days to react to that (i forget his wording) but I convinced judge 14 days would be more than adequate, being that the mistake was on the claim and had they read any of the correspondence I'd sent they would already be aware of the changes I need to make. :p

We are going for first available hearing after 16th July. Mr Askew wanted a day for his case, and a witness. My response was "I feel 2 hours would be more than adequate, given that the Alliance have a history of at least 74 court cases where the cases were settled prior to actual hearing" :) It was even more bizarre as the couple who were also vs A&L he only asked for 2 hours! As much as in other circumstances I'd certainly spend a day with him, it wasn't happening ;)

So, mr solicitor was shaking more than me! The only argument he had was that myseldf and other party "had not particularised correctly" which Judge said wouldnt be a probvlem as I am amending anyway

:D you done good....well done....:D not as bad as you thought it would be.im real pleased you got what you wanted.one in the eye for the wragges,you are in complete control..........i fear you,so should a & l,:D

Well doneicon7.gif Sounds as if you quite enjoyed tying the solicitor up in knotsicon10.gif

You obviously stated your case well for the 14 days and I'm really pleased it all went so well.

Keep us informed how you get on ...

A-Z CAG links to all documents you'll need for

your claim

(Thanks to Michael Brown for all his efforts)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

Thanks MJ, chubbas. I was so scared. There was a guy they dealt with before me who was kinda angry and ranty, and I didn't say much at first, but afterwords they said I made some good points so I was happy. It was a rush afterwards, but I think if I can avoid court I most certainly will!

well done ! I really thought that the other solicitor would not turn up.

Dont give up now please - As you say most of the time they have settled before court anyway - you have paid your court costs anyway and if it is all over in a couple of hours wont it be worth it?

Personally ( and Only from my perspective ) if I was where you are now I would maybe give them one chance to settle -to cover the full charges and bank cost - less the 8% -if they refuse then go for it . I am sure you will get loads of help from the site. as far as I understand the only ones that have failed did not have the correct paperwork and the last one the guy did not even turn up for court.

Keep reading lots to keep up with how other peoples cases including other banks are going. Obvously if things change before the court date you can re-consider.

Also keep watching for successful cases in each forum -it might boost your confidence.

Only my opinion as I say - and I know its difficult as this seems to take over your life for a while.

But well done again for today!!

jansus:D :D

Please note I am not an expert - I am not offering opinions or legal help - Please use all the information provided on the site in FAQ- step by step instructions and library- thanks Jansus:)

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well." - Antione de Saint Exupery

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Maybe the bank's solicitor turned up as "an example". They know we all frequent these forums and swap notes, so know we'll all be made aware of the fact. Another frightening tactic to make us think they'll turn up at the hearingsicon5.gif

your claim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/consumer-forums-website-questions/53182-cant-find-what-youre.html

probably right - thats why i spend a lot of time reading other bank forums to see what the advice is about being well prepared - especially LLoyds forum.

Hopefully if the site is re-organised a little there will be some updated instructions about what this actually means - and the pitfalls to look out for.

Besides the court bundle we just really need a kind of speech/summary in laymans terms of what we should actually say if questioned so we could be a little more confident before looming court case dates - just in case we do have to appear - even in a preliminary hearing.

jansus

PROUD TO BE AN ORANGE

Good idea ... a lot of this legal jargon goes right over my head (and others' I think :rolleyes:).

your claim

Can I pass on my well done as well..........................WELL DONE!!

from Mimi........"Maybe the bank's solicitor turned up as "an example". They know we all frequent these forums and swap notes, so know we'll all be made aware of the fact. Another frightening tactic to make us think they'll turn up at the hearings"

Nice incite Mimi, I like your leftfield slant RE this.

Thanks again everyone! :)

I simply think he turned up because he was local, and there were two cases in the same hearing against the same bank. However, also received were two letters from A&L received 23/05 (before I received notification of the date - I got that on the 24th) one for each case saying due to the short notice and the costs (paraphrasing here) they would like the court to consider them attending by telephone!

My next questions is re amendment. I have been confirmed I can make the necessary amendments, the judge said I didn't need another N1 form. The amendment is such: The amount I am claiming is wrong, it doesn't match the partics. as I didn't include interest. The court cost increases when I put this on, so I am aware both the £35 non refundable amendment fee and the £40 fee for being in the next cost band apply. I want to send the letter off today, so am hoping someone can advise me what to write, how to state what I want. my partics. don't need changing, I just need the amount changing to reflect them, and a letter saying that which I can send to the court and also forward on to the defendants.

I am still considering writing with an offer to settle for the actual cost + court costs (but not interest), but won't be rushing with that!

How about something like :-

Re : Claim No/Noisy v. A&L

I attended a preliminary hearing on .............., at which time I made the parties aware of an error regarding my claim for a refund of bank charges, which I now wish to amend. To clarify, I included statutory interest on my Particulars of Claim which I omitted to include on my charges schedule. It was agreed by the judge that I have until 7th June to rectify this and submit the amended figure to all parties concerned, together with a Witness Statement.

By submitting an amendment, I am aware that I am committed to paying a £35 non refundable amendment fee, in addition to a £40 fee which applies to the next cost band.

I trust this now clarifies my claim and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Noisy, hope the above helps. I did it in a hurry (about to go out), so do check for accuracy and play about with it.icon7.gif

Mimi x

your claim

MJ that's great, but I wonder if i've not made myself 100% clear. my shedule matches my particulars, but the actual amount I put the claim in for doesn't match the two of them (because I didn't add the itnerest) Do we still think it would work?

:o i have claimed the charges ie £34 here and there . i have claimed the interest on these charges at the 0.8% .but i havnt claimed the interest on the charges.:? will i be able to amened my poc to reflect this and raise my claim to near 5k from the 4k i have claimed?:|

chubbas; All I've claimed for is charges + the interest calculated by the spreadsheet. my problem is I didn't actually input it right on MCOL, and input the total without the interest @8% (losing myself about £200) I haven't calimed anything more than that

MJ that's great, but I wonder if i've not made myself 100% clear. my shedule matches my particulars, but the actual amount I put the claim in for doesn't match the two of them (because I didn't add the itnerest) Do we still think it would work?

You could substitute the first para. for something like this :-

I attended a preliminary hearing on .............., at which time I made the parties aware of an error regarding my claim for a refund of bank charges, which I now wish to amend. To clarify, I omitted to include statutory interest on my Particulars of Claim, although they do state this is included. The interest is also omitted from my charges schedule. It was agreed by the Judge at the above hearing that I can rectify this and have until 7th June to submit the amended figure, including interest, to all parties concerned, together with a Witness Statement.

Hope I've understood this time ... difficult to get your head around these different scenarios at times:rolleyes:

Mimi x

your claim

MJ you're a star, that's just what I wanted! I'm just brain frazzled after watching big brother last night and can't form a sentence without "Have it!" ;) I shall tweak that slightly and attach witness statement. Thankyou thankyou thankyou a million times!

MJ you're a star, that's just what I wanted! I'm just brain frazzled after watching big brother last night and can't form a sentence without "Have it!" ;) I shall tweak that slightly and attach witness statement. Thankyou thankyou thankyou a million times!

No problem ... I'm off to the shops now and then going for a few drinksicon12.gif

I always say I'm not going to get involved with BB, but always end up watching it. Already I can see Tracy winning, the "different" ones usually do:rolleyes:

your claim