eBuyer.com

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been using this company for a few years now - generally anything to do with computers is cheapest on here and gets delivered quickly - sometimes sooner than expected (costs money to keep stuff in a warehouse - get it out quick!). However, this is all at the cost of customer services if anything goes wrong.

I bought a computer caseand parts for a computer for a customer of mine.

The Power supply, which is integral to the computer case but removeable, developed a fault within a month.

I bought a new power supply for my customer, from eBuyer, and returned the faulty one. The new powers supply was also faulty so I returned that and ordered another one which does now work.

They refunded me for the second power supply but refused to replace or refund me for the first as it was sold as part of the computer case. They stated that they could only refund or replace it if I returned the complete case and power supply. Before I returned the original power supply they never mentioned this and even stated that it had to be returned for repair as it was not eligible for refund or replacement!

It has now just gone round in circles - It has only cost me about fifteen pounds but it really winds me up when they just fob you off. Is is time for a LBA?

• 3 months later...

The pint is this: the first time round they just asked me to return the power supply and said they would replace it - then, after sending it, they asked for the case as well - AND said that it would need repairing - not replacing as they originally said. We all know computers are modular and if they had good customer service they would just send me one of their power supplies out. To top it, when I bought a replacement power supply from them THAT went wrong as well and I had to return this for a replacement. They take ages to reply to you and then go round in circles.

• 5 months later...

More Ebuyer problems.

First, I bought a router from them about 8 months ago. the power supply stopped working. I sent it back to them using their returns service (I paid fopr postage). They sent me an enote saying they could find no fault. They then sent me the item back saying they do not supply spares and can only replace the router AND the power supply together. This is unacceptable as the PS is definitely faulty and I do not want to be without my router as it means no internet and no way of contacting eBuyer should things go wrong!

It has got to the point where I have told them I would take them to court so will issue a claim soon.

my latest problem with them. A laptop bag I bought has a faulty strap - they want to charge me a 35% re-stocking fee to replace this - is that legal?? it is under 12 months old (8 months to be exact)

can anyone help??

Not unreasonable for them to request the entire item back with regards the router.

As to the laptop bag, that seems unreasonable - have they stated that this is a goodwill gesture at all? To me it seems that they have two options - either the damage is not manufacturer fault, in which case they are not obliged to do anything, but MAY offer this as a goodwill gesture, or it is a manufacturers fault, in which case they are obliged to replace it. Was it returned using their RMA service?

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

re the Router. Do you not think it unreasonable for them to send it back and say there is nothing wrong with it? (i have borrowed one that works and makes my router work and tested both power supplies with a voltage meter) and then expect me to send it back with the router with the possibility of the same thing happening? Would you consider it right to have to send a computer back with its monitor if only the monitor was faulty? This is their stance.

The laptop bag was definitely a manufacturing fault. I would expect it to last more than 8 months. Their re-stocking fee is a cover all policy for any return over a certain time limit (but still under 12 months)

You purchased the router as one item. If they wish to do so, they are perfectly within their rights to have the item returned. This includes all parts of that item.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

You purchased the router as one item. If they wish to do so, they are perfectly within their rights to have the item returned. This includes all parts of that item.

This is absolutely correct.

Please note I'm not insured in this capacity, so if you need to, do get official legal advice.

Maybe after your initial experience of sending goods back in parts you should have realised that they tend to like the whole item back.

As for the laptop case if it is through poor materials/faulty stitching etc then yes they should give a full refund/replacement and not charge some silly 35% restocking fee.

Sorry but I have to disagree regarding the case issue ebuyer should have realised that this is impractical.

When you build a PC all the insides go into the case if you dont have suitable anti-static storage (ie bags big enough) do you really think it is fair to have to strip down your entire PC potentially damaging a fragile component these things are NOT built to be taken in and out of cases theyre designed to be fitted and left alone.

Now a CD/DVD drive fair enough and even to a limited extent a hard drive but a motherboard, processor etc should not be left laying around waiting a new chassis.

I agree with the rest of the comments regarding the router etc but the case whilst technically they are within their rights they should have agreed to sort this out its only sensible and would have saved them money on carriage costs anyway.

Sadly you get what you pay for with ebuyer and customer service isnt what you're paying for. Do you have any idea how much the PSU in a cheap case is worth? virtually nothing when you think you can buy the case and psu for £12 and it highlights how crappy the PSU is likely to be, but all this is besides the point.

I believe ebuyer have acted inside the limits of the law but hardly with the spirit of it. I think its worth chalking up to experience and simply not shopping there any longer there are many other etailers who offer good prices

DVD-R, DVDR, DVD-RW & CDR disc media from SVP for media

Komplett.co.uk for everything

dabs.com - PC Hardware, Components, Software, Digital Cameras, MP3 Players worth checking

PC Nextday again very reasonable

Hmmm....ebuyers customer service may be questionable(perhaps!) but you cannot argue that their prices are due to the "poor quality" of the goods. An awful lot, if not in fact the majority, of prices on EXACTLY THE SAME branded goods are significantly cheaper than even the trade accounts we have with suppliers at my IT company! (When I say mine I mean the company I work for :p).

Ebuyer's prices are indeed cheap - I have trade accounts with many IT firms and you can not get cheaper prices unless you go to dabs who have a lot better service in my opinion. Let us not forget that cheap prices should not mean bad customer service and that all normal rights should apply. Take the laptop bag for instance. In my RMA request I stated:

'Dear sirs, please send me a replacement for this bag. I do not agree with your restocking order as this item's carrying strap has broken and under my statutory rights I should be eligible for a replacement or refund due to the fault being present at the time of manufacture.'

Ebuyer replied after 2 days with,

'Your RMA request has been declined - please check your RMA notes for more details'

I logged in to the account and there were not any further details at all.

This is the sort of run around they play with their customers to put them off. I am now going to contact Targus, the bag's manufacturer, and see if they will replace.

Sorry but I have to disagree regarding the case issue ebuyer should have realised that this is impractical.

When you build a PC all the insides go into the case if you dont have suitable anti-static storage (ie bags big enough) do you really think it is fair to have to strip down your entire PC potentially damaging a fragile component these things are NOT built to be taken in and out of cases theyre designed to be fitted and left alone.

Now a CD/DVD drive fair enough and even to a limited extent a hard drive but a motherboard, processor etc should not be left laying around waiting a new chassis.

Without a PSU, there is nowhere to plug in the mains lead to provide the necessary path to earth for full anti-static protection.

I agree with the rest of the comments regarding the router etc but the case whilst technically they are within their rights they should have agreed to sort this out its only sensible and would have saved them money on carriage costs anyway.

With both the router and the PC PSU/case, eBuyer will claim/return from their supplier as a complete item. If you start messing about with part shipments,then this becomes a logistical nightmare. In the case of the router PSU, how are eBuyer to test it wthout the router - it is quite possible that when plugged in and metered it provides the correct output voltage, but dies under load.

Do you have any idea how much the PSU in a cheap case is worth? virtually nothing when you think you can buy the case and psu for £12 and it highlights how crappy the PSU is likely to be, but all this is besides the point.

If you purchase a replacement PSU, it will likely be exactly the same as the one in a case. They all come out of the same Chinese factory. Ebuyer make their money by not having retail premises or staff; not having call centre staff and using a model of slim margins on high volume.

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks