CCJ on Equifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6292 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just done a credit check with Equifax and found a CCJ on there through Northampton CCBC dated March 2005.

The CCJ is for exactly £100 which is a really odd amount and I have no idea who\what it is from. It is also registered at an address that I have not lived at for some years.

Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out what the CCJ is for? There is a ref number on Equifax which starts with 5QVxxxxx.

Any help would be appreciated as always!

I've just had the thought that as it's a previous address, by doing a search from your new address you will let it be known where you are.

I don't advocate debt avoidance, but I just thought I should point that out (as I'm a Gentleman :rolleyes: )

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Too late I am afraid, I have already had a couple of nasty shocks come back to haunt me from my student days, but thanks for the warning anyway.

It is the weird amount that is bothering me more than anything. £100 exactly sounds like a set fine or fee rather than just an unpaid bill.

Is there anyway of contacting the Northampton court directly to pay the bill? I preume that it has to go through the solictor's who put the claim in which obviously I don't know.

Can't decide wether to do the RTL search and see what it comes up with or just leave it and see if whoever put the claim in the first place cares enough to search for me, which would not be difficult. Either way I am stuck with it on my record for the next five years or so.

Is there no law that says the person you are claiming against has to be aware of the claim in the first place?

Grrr.

Ask the court to send you the case particulars, quoting that reference number which should be the case number. If it's a default judgment (it must be if you didn't know about it) you can probably have it set aside and re-tried but this will cost you £65. If it's a statutory fine you'll have to pay it so basically you can get it off Equifax for £165. If you just pay the bill/fine it will simply be marked as satisfied on Equifax, stay there and still wreck your credit score.

"Why CCJ when you can CCA!"

Right then...

I got through to the courts and they told me the CCJ was from the DVLA.

I phoned the DVLA and they said that it was for failure to re-tax a car that I had not owned for a couple of years. It seems that the individual I sold it to had not sent in the transfer document as he promised he would.

The weirdest thing is that they claim that I made a payment for the arears owed but failed to pay the actual fine and that is what the CCJ was for. Now I never made any sort of payment relating to that vehicle as i didn't even own it and did not know anything about the offence. I moved house at the same time as selling the vehicle so I guess the documents were being sent to my old address but then again I had been registered at my current address with the DVLA long before this went to court so don't understand why they would not have sent documents relating to me to the correct address.

The lady at the DVLA said that even if I re-open the case I am likely to still be found at fault as I had not informed the DVLA of the change of ownership so I end up stuck with a CCJ because a mate of a mate failed to send in the original documents.

Please help! Is this an SAR situation? If I can prove that I did not know anything about this and that the arears payment was not made by me do you think I have a case for getting it removed?

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Maybe I should re-post this in a more relevant area.