• Tweets

• Which Court have you received the claim from ?  Civil National Business Centre Northampton NN1 2LH Name of the Claimant ?  PRA Group UK Portfolios LTD   How many defendant's  joint or self ?  Just my self Date of issue – top right hand corner of the claim form – this in order to establish the time line you need to adhere to.    24th May 2024   ^^^^^ NOTE : WHEN CALCULATING THE TIMELINE - PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THE DATE ON THE CLAIMFORM IS ONE IN THE COUNT [example: Issue date 01.03.2014 + 19 days (5 days for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = 19.03.2014 + 14 days to submit defence = 02.04.2014] = 33 days in total   Date of issue XX + 19 days ( 5 day for service + 14 days to acknowledge) = XX + 14 days to submit defence = XX (33 days in total)  if your defence filing date falls on a W/End, you must file by friday @4PM     Particulars of Claim   What is the claim for – the reason they have issued the claim?  The claimant claims the sum of £22,000 for an outstanding debt owed. On 30/1/18 the defendant entered into n agreement with Lloyds Bank Plc for a bank loan under the reference 10017#######. On 4/1/19 the defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of £22,000. On 30/11/22 the debt of £22,000 assigned to PRA Group (UK) Limited, who itself assigned the debt to PRA Group UK Portfolios Ltd on 30/12/23. Notices of assignment were sent to the defendant in accordance with S136 Law of property act 1925. The claimant has instructed PRA Group (UK) Limited to act on its behalf in the recovery of the outstanding debt and to pursue litigation on its behalf. AND the claimant claims 1. The sum of £22,000. What is the total value of the claim?  £23,500 Have you received prior notice of a claim being issued pursuant to paragraph 3 of the PAPDC (Pre Action Protocol) ?  Yes Have you changed your address since the time at which the debt referred to in the claim was allegedly incurred? No Did you inform the claimant of your change of address?  No - N/A Is the claim for - a Bank Account (Overdraft) or credit card or loan or catalogue or mobile phone account?  Bank loan When did you enter into the original agreement before or after April 2007 ?  No Do you recall how you entered into the agreement...On line /In branch/By post ?  I believe it was done online on their app Is the debt showing on your credit reference files (Experian/Equifax /Etc...) ?  Yes Has the claim been issued by the original creditor or was the account assigned and it is the Debt purchaser who has issued the claim.  Debt was with halifax, whom passed the debt to PRA Group. Were you aware the account had been assigned – did you receive a Notice of Assignment? Yes Did you receive a Default Notice from the original creditor?  I'm not completely sure at it was nearly 6 years ago, I have done a CCA request and they have sent a screenshot of their system showing it was sent. Have you been receiving statutory notices headed “Notice of Sums in Arrears”  or " Notice of Arrears "– at least once a year ?  Yes Why did you cease payments?  Couldn't afford to make payments. What was the date of your last payment?  August 2018 Was there a dispute with the original creditor that remains unresolved?  No Did you communicate any financial problems to the original creditor and make any attempt to enter into a debt management plan?  No
    • It’s all with current lenders and no missed payment to date. so with any reduced payment to them it’s likely to be going to debt collectors at some stage. we jointly own a property together me and my partner 
    • It’s all unsecured loans and credit cards. Mainly loans now though as most credit cards are paid off.   so 95% unsecured loans.   I just don’t know my situation job wise it’s almost impossible to say whether it’s likely or not just don’t want to be caught out by it. My mental health trying to pay this off has taken a huge hit also if I’m being honest. I feel like mentally I need some kind of respite and the credit file cost is something I can accept also. 
    • Depends on whether part of the roof needs to be replaced and whether it is a standard roof type,  but the works should only take a day or two. Someone I know had a whole semi-detached roof replaced in about 12 hours. Suggest you put it in writing to the business about the issues you mention in your post.  Also as business premises, you could also apply pressure by contacting local Council if necessary. 
    • Thank goodness it's not your roof and you get to foot the bill! How big are these bits of mortar? How often are they falling into your garden? Hourly, daily? Just go ahead with your plans, of course, they're not going to be worried by your time pressures and the urgency of the situation, so simply carry on as you would have done and I'm sure everything will go fine. Unless there is a danger to life and serious structural issues which mean you cannot venture into your garden, then IMHO there is little more you can do less for what you have done so already and made them aware of the issue.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

To DD or not, that is the question...

lizzie47
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I must say, I will never understand why people in precarious financial situations ever pay by d/d, which give THEM all the power of how much comes out and when...

This is not addressed solely to you, btw!

HI Bookworm

Have read loads on this site and almost always found your replys informative,well thought out and 99.9% fair and accurate.

I was shocked by your last post and feel have to reply to your "off" remark asking why do people in a bad way with money go the D/D route,must say this irked me,Its because they have to.

Im disabled,any money i have is benefits,I dont have credit cards any longer,Its not as easy as pick up the phone and pay by card (taken off me)!!Nor do i have a cheque book(taken off me).Are you sugesting i pay all by cash,or porstal orders? There is no longer a gas or electric office in my town,nor does my mortgage provider have a branch any where near etc.etc,I as millions of others do not have a viable choice.And have been forced into this situation.Have you any alternative to the banks,i hate the buggers always have.Would love an old "under the mattress"account but this will never happen.Awaiting your reply

regards lizzie

Dont get mad :-x get even :)

It's not an "off" remark at all. It's a remark based on personal experience first, and compounded by the examples I read here and on MSE every day.

Viable alternatives to d/d: standing orders. You give instructions to pay, you dictate the date, you dictate the amount. Most companies will accept standing orders. They might not like it, because they'd much rather they had the control, but I can assure you from personal experience that what they want most of all is payment.

You're disabled. That means you get DLA, right? So, paid 4 weekly. A large amount of companies pay themselves monthly. Sooner or later, your payments are going to be out of sync with the d/d. Yes, you get 13 payments, but how many people do you know in dire straits who can put the money aside nearly 1 month ahead for a future d/d when there's hardly enough money to go round? Not many, I'd bet.

Do I have an alternative to banks? No. Maybe surprisingly considering what I do here, I have no desire to see those venerable institutions disappear. Banks have a use in society. I would very much like to see them heavily reformed and brought under a firm thumb, and forced to confirm to the law, and made to deal more sympathically with the more vulnerable elements of our society.

I know that we only started coming out of the spiral of debt once we took control. That meant Internet banking, and Standing Orders. For the first time in our lives, we say what goes in and out of our bank accounts.

I stand by what I say: Direct Debits are the means for THEM to dip into an account pretty much as they please. I refuse to let them have that control.

If you have a bank account, you should have the means to access your money. Are you saying that the only way you can get money is by going in a branch and withdrawing over the counter? If that is the case, I suggest you make a stinking complaint, as you should be allowed at least a cashcard.

I'm happy to carry on discussing this, but we'll have to start a new thread if that's the case, as we're currently hijacking Peepo's.

Hiya

Thanks for speedy reply and expanding on your comment,Much appreciated,am lot clearer as to what you intended.feared i was hi jacking...(sorry peepo) would love to start thread,could you move this ? or should i start my own ?.Am green computer user,let alone the net,By your reply not so ripe on banks either :confused:am very slowly learning more about both,an both hard work but worth it ,I hope:oops:

Thanks

Actually, you got me thinking (doesn't happen often, make the most of it!) about your situation.

Do you have no card at all? Or only a cashcard? Can you do anything with it apart from withdrawing cash?

It's just it seems to me there is a glaring injustice in not being allowed to use your money for.. well, Internet shopping, for instance. Disabled persons are prime candidates for benefiting from home shopping deliveries, but if they can't shop online, a whole range of help will be closed to them, even if they do have the money...

There's something bugging me there...

Hiya

Title is ace very funny :D

Thanks for moving me ..didn,t feel a thing..glad i got you thinking :)

Do indeed have just cash card..an yes its annoying.. :evil: only recently got dla(after a fight),got it early this year ,had accident at work jan 2003. been nightmare always worked an not the first clue where to start with benefits.severe money worries took me to the c.a.b.they great.i was minus £70 per wk that was after taking into account essentials, nothing else,had been that way 3yr,Am registering for net banking,Swotting up bout S.O "v" D/D an any thing else i can learn as nothing short of lottery win is going to change my finances an i need to get more sorted.pared down in every area i can (honest bet even martin lewis would struggle to "make me rich")so thats only area i can hope to make some change.Got damage/negligence claim hitting courts in september but who knows how that will go so have to prepare for worst.Any tips advice re banking or otherwise more than welcome:)

Regards Lizzie

It's just it seems to me there is a glaring injustice in not being allowed to use your money for.. well, Internet shopping, for instance. Disabled persons are prime candidates for benefiting from home shopping deliveries, but if they can't shop online, a whole range of help will be closed to them, even if they do have the money...

There's something bugging me there...

Possibly the disability rights act? No company has the right to refuse service to someone purely because of their disability.

Therefore, I believe if someone is internet shopping because they can't get to the shops easily they have the right to the same service as an able-bodied person who could go to the shop directly.

I'm not sure exactly how this works though as the issue would be choosing not to have a debit/credit card rather than being disabled. It is however your right to choose not to have a card...

I agree with Bookworm on Direct Debits - I realised a while ago how much of a blatant [problem] they are. The banks and companies you have DDs with both charge you if it fails, and they can take their money whenever they want.

I had Natwest Mortgages try to take 4 payments in January. The last three failed of course due to insufficient funds. And although they admitted these were made in error they refused to refund the charges as I had 'behaved badly and missed payments in the past'.

I do like the idea of using standing orders - do most companies accept/have to accept these?

If you found this post useful please click on the scales above.

Egg - £400 - Prelim sent. On hold.

Mint - On the list Est £800

GE Capital - On the list (3 accounts!) Est £4000

MBNA - £545 Prelim sent 13/11/2006

LBA sent 1/12/2006

£350 partial payment received 18/12/2006.

Full settlement received 20/1/07

NatWest - Est £4000 not incl interest

Data Protection Act Sent 10/1/07

Statements received 24/1/07

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Full Settlement received 22/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Hi cornflake

RE- so v dd (dont know how to quote posts yet but old dog slowly learning new tricks :oops: )

Huummmnn yes we live an learn eh

sure as eggs is eggs am going to try change dd to so (cheers bookwrm) :)

Lizzie,

To quote a post just click the Quote button at the bottom of the specific post you want to quote. this will start a reply with the post in there between

tags. You can edit out parts you don't need to quote. Anything within the tags will appear as a quote when you post your reply.

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

The contents of this post are the sole opinions of The Cornflake and not necessarily the opinions of any other members of this group. They do not constitute sound legal or financial advice and if in doubt you are advised to seek advice from a qualified professional

Lizzie,

To quote a post just click the Quote button at the bottom of the specific post you want to quote. .

Brilliant thanks(still got my computer "L" plates

:) I have found this thread greatly interesting. We do internet banking so is it a case of phoning the relevant companies and getting their details and then we personally delete the DD?

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

:) I have found this thread greatly interesting. We do internet banking so is it a case of phoning the relevant companies and getting their details and then we personally delete the DD?

Not sure am in first stages of registering...(First stage in lot of things of late :-o) If you find out first let me know an ill do the same..If any one else knows how we change..Please do tell..An any other tips to help :)

I don't think the companies can legally stop you paying by standing order but this will firstly only work when the payment is the same each month, and secondly they may try to get away with charging extra. For example, Sky are currently charging me £4 extra a month because I'm not paying by DD. I do intend to contest this charge as I believe the extra cost to them of sending out a bill is less than this.

However, paying by standing order isn't really any different from DD so I don't think they would get away with it as easily.

I'll be interested to see how you get on. Also whether you get charged when a standing order fails - no mention of charges for this in my bank contract...

LBA sent 1/12/2006

Prelim sent 3/2/07

Thanks cornflake

Suspected it would have to be same amount each month at least thats the mortgage,gas,lec,t.v licence,tinternet(by heck would sell kids first before that goes now)that i can start with, which dont leave a lot phone,(on it to change to reg outgoing)water rates,ill ring them, think thats it then,As you say though banks still have it stiched up for charges,But not for long i hear you all say :D

Out of interest have you been on the penaltycharge site ? "Bankhell" going same route as you with sky

Thaks for taking time out to reply

ill keep posting :)

Hi,

Wouldn't a manual payment via online banking be a better option (if this option is available with your account)? That way you have full control of the date and amount. With a SO it may still come out when the money isn't available.

The downside of removing DD is that many organisations give a discount for paying that way which you will lose - but it may be better if you get to retake control over your payments.

Cheers.

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

Hi,

Wouldn't a manual payment via online banking be a better option (if this option is available with your account)? That way you have full control of the date and amount. With a SO it may still come out when the money isn't available

Thanks jeep n wife

Yes bet it would be better to pay as bill is due like "olden days :grin:".Forgive me for being thick but will that mean paper statements or would they bill you via"tinternet" Yes i was thinking you would still be charged for a missed or late payment by SO an bet it not much less if any cheaper than DD,But then i suppose you would not get hammered from other side for it not being there to take ! think im whats termed a silver surfer :lol: and have a lot to learn bout technology,an banking.thanks all for enlightenment

Thanks jeep n wife

Yes bet it would be better to pay as bill is due like "olden days :grin:".Forgive me for being thick but will that mean paper statements or would they bill you via"tinternet" Yes i was thinking you would still be charged for a missed or late payment by SO an bet it not much less if any cheaper than DD,But then i suppose you would not get hammered from other side for it not being there to take ! think im whats termed a silver surfer :lol: and have a lot to learn bout technology,an banking.thanks all for enlightenment

In most cases I get a paper bill anyway - phone, cable, CCs, etc. The others like gas & lecky, mortgage, loans, etc. are on fixed payments (mainly). Once a week you log in to your account and pre-book the payments that are coming due, making sure that you have enough to cover them and wherever possible they are paid on time. You even have the option of making a part payment to show good faith if there's not enough and you are waiting for something to clear, etc.

If a SO is unpaid you get charged by the bank just the same as a bounced DD or cheque - but at least the payee doesn't get to retry and force extra charges on you.

Just my thoughts on the matter - I don't know how well it would work in practise - but it's definitely what I'm thinking of doing when I get my refunds - I need to get back control of my money and stop funding the bank's boardroom! :evil:

• Confused 1

Jeep (The Wife & I)

Halifax joint a/c (£3800 charges + £40 interest on charges over 11 years) - paid in full 23/06/06

Halifax joint a/c new charges £1100 - LBA sent 02/08/06

Halifax 2nd a/c (£1500 charges + £150 interest on charges) - partial payment received 13/07/06 (no s69 interest) - AQ filed 07/08/06 - Court awarded 50% of s69 interest (Bank didn't turn up!)

Halifax Visa (#1) Data Protection Act sent - statements arrived - £350 so far

Halifax Visa (#2) Data Protection Act sent - refunded £170

DONATE - Support this site, it supported you!

Follow the route: FAQs > Template Library > Parachute Account > Bank Forums > Spreadsheet

All advice given in good faith and without prejudice or liability, to be taken at your own risk!

- but it's definitely what I'm thinking of doing when I get my refunds - I need to get back control of my money and stop funding the bank's boardroom! :evil:

Here Here ;)

learning more every day thanks for your time and imput it realy helps:)

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 10 March 2019.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6596 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks