• Tweets

• I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
    • pop up on the bulk court website detailed on the claimform. [if it is not working return after the w/end or the next day if week time] . When you select ‘Register’, you will be taken to a screen titled ‘Sign in using Government Gateway’.  Choose ‘Create sign in details’ to register for the first time.  You will be asked to provide your name, email address, set a password and a memorable recovery word. You will be emailed your Government Gateway 12-digit User ID.  You should make a note of your memorable word, or password as these are not included in the email.<<**IMPORTANT**  then log in to the bulk court Website .  select respond to a claim and select the start AOS box. .  then using the details required from the claimform . defend all leave jurisdiction unticked  you DO NOT file a defence at this time [BUT you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 ] click thru to the end confirm and exit the website .get a CPR 31:14 request running to the solicitors https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?486334-CPR-31.14-Request-to-use-on-receipt-of-a-PPC-(-Private-Land-Parking-Court-Claim type your name ONLY no need to sign anything .you DO NOT await the return of paperwork. you MUST file a defence regardless by day 33 from the date on the claimform.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Bit of a long story........sorry.

My husband lost his job and I am on maternity leave so on half pay, so it came about that we can no longer afford to pay the rent for our flat.

I explained this in a letter to the agents......who informed us to go to the housing benefit office. The housing benefit office keep asking us to come back with different documents and we are basically waiting for some paperwork to come through.

We have informed the landlord and the agents of this and keep getting calls from the agents to ask what is happening (which is understandable)

The landlord recently wrote quite a horrible letter saying that we were being uncooperative and if we didn't pay the rent soon he would take us to court to redetermine the tenancy and charge us interest on the rent we haven't paid.

Recently the landlord called and asked to view the property and has not given me a valid reason why he wants to do this as he is not the type to ever come around. I feel threatned by this as feel that he is up to something.

I have my name on the council list but am in the lowest band category and don't think I stand a chance of getting a place anytime soon.

I am worried as to what will happen if we are given notice as can not afford another rented accommadation and I have a 6 month old baby.

Any help with any this will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Linda2006,In reply to your post,please answer the following questions/provide the following information:

1.What is the starting date of your tenancy?

2.What is the end date of your tenancy?/length of your tenancy? i.e.

6 months/12 months. Please clarify.

3.Is the tenancy in both of your names? Or a solo tenancy in one of your names?Please clarify.

4.What is the monthly rent?

5.How much are you in arrears (if any) with your rent?

6.The full content of the "nasty letter" from your landlord.

Regarding the your landlord's visit:

a.He is within his rights to request this.As long as he gives you notice and does not "barge in" without your consent.

b.My advice is not to worry about this,but simply make the visit at a time to suit all.

The answers to the above questions/additional information should enable me to hopefully assist you further.

ok well the answers to your questions are:

1. we have lived here since May 2005....but are on 6 month contracts each time.

2. 6 months each time so it will run out May this year.

3. the tenancy is in both mine and my hubbies names.

4. the monthly rent is £800....and I am not earning that right now.

5. At the moment we are in arrears of 2 months.

6. ok the following is the whole letter................

I am writing in regards to the unpaid rent that has been due for almost two months, since 7th Dec 2006. Also, there is the matter of the late payment of rent in Nov 2006 (as we were not given a contract!) and the next rent is due by 7th of this month as well.

Due to your lack of cooperation, I have come to the conclusion that unless I am paid the due rent urgently, I will be taking further legal action in order to evict you from the property.

As rent has been in arrears for over fourteen days, you have breached your obligations under clause 7 of our contracual agreement and therefore I reserve the right to take this matter to court and re-enter the property to determine this tenancy.

Under clause 6 of our contractual agreement, I also reserve the right to charge interest for any unpaid rent at the same rate of 5% of my banks base rate until payment is actually made.

I strongly advice you to act urgently regarding the overdue rent and your cooperation will only serve to be in your best interests.

I don't want to sound horrible, but you also have to see this from the landlords point of view - he has bought this house as an investment and maybe can't afford to pay the mortgage himself and thats were the problem lies - he is struggling because he can't pay the mortgage (or is making things tight). If he's possibly having to go into an overdraft to pay it etc as well then he will be within his rights to charge you any other costs that you have caused him through late payment of the rent.

His letter, whilst seeming nasty is just stating the facts and giving you warning of what may happen if you fail to meet the expectations of the contract.

The only real soloution I see for you is to contact the council again as a matter of urgancy pointing out that you are pregnant and about to lose your home.

To Blacksheep

Well I am not posting on here from the landlord's point of view but from mine and trying to resolve the situation. It is unfortunate for both sides really as it is not fun for us either.

I am not actually pregnant but do have a child under one. At present there is not point in going to the council as they will not house us as still have accomdation.

Thank you for your comments anyway.

Linda2006,in reply to your last post:

1.Contrary to how you may believe but you have a tenancy agreement - "periodic shorthold".

2.The terms and conditions are the same as the last signed tenancy agreement.

3.Your landlord can evict you but only with a court order if you have 2 months rent arrears or more.

4.There is no point in going after council property now as you would still be classed as you say with a roof over your head.

5.Personally,I think you should try and see how to "speed up" the benefit payments and get your landlord actively involved.

Before I suggest anything else - please answer the following questions:

Have you had any rent arrears in the past?or is this the first time?

Please clarify.

The answers to the above questions should enable me to hopefully assist you further.

Also,if you wish feel free to send me a PM.So that I can assist you in finding the best solution/options in solving your problem.

sorry to butt in but its not a periodic ST its a fixed term AST, it runs for a fixed period of 6 months at a time, therefore is fixed term, should the landlord not wish to renew the tenancy upon expiration and does not take action to evict then it would become periodic i.e. week to week, month to month, until finally action is taken through the courts.

unless your landlord failed to provide you with a new tenancy then as linda has pointed out, she is within the contract until may. with respect to legal action for rent arrears, your landlord has two options, either a section 21 notice (the accelerated possession process) or a seciton 8 notice under the assured tenancy and under ground 8 of two or more months rent in arrears. MOst landlords will go under s21 as its the easier of the two, and sadly most landlords do see this as an investment and dont realise what they are actually dealing with is law.

However, posts are right, you do need to chase up housing benefit section, find out what they need to determine the claim, if it is that they do not need anything to determine the claim, then request a payment is made within 14 days to your landlord, they do have the relevant powers to do this. I would advise if you are having such issues, you do contact a housing advice agency for support in dealing with both the HB issue and landlord issue, maybe they could explain the current HB problems and ensure the landlord somewhat that his rent will arrive, as sadly landlords hate nothing more that trying to evict (under s8) for rent arrears to have a defence in court that the arrears have been paid!

Thanks

23/11/06 HSBC **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - GE Capital - **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - MBNA - charges and interest **SETTLED**

30/12/06 - Welcome Finance - Prelim sent for mis-sold PPI

This is the first time I have had rent arrears.............to be honest I guess I am more worried that I will be homeless with a baby. I am hoping that the council will take this into consideration, but I know they have limited housing.

Dear linda

If you need advice regarding homelessness and all your concerns contact

Shelter England: the housing and homelessness charity you can contact them by phone or email, etc.

Also there is a benefits calculator here: entitledto this should work out any benefits and how much you are entitled to. If you are made homeless then the local council will have to accommodate you. Usually they provide temporary accomm as a short measure which could be something like bed & breakfast. You could also get onto some of the local housing associations as they should accept you on their housing lists.

Hope this helps, regards Joan

First letter to halifax sent rec del 26/4

Data Protection Act letter to capital one sent rec del 26/4

Halifax 1st offer dated 5/5

Capital One ack Data Protection Act request rec 6/5

Request for repayment to Capital One 2/8

LBA sent 22/8

Court proceedings issued 13/10

Settled in Full 9/11

Donation made 14/11

What you really need to do is get onto the HB dept, make a formal complaint to your councils director of finance and say that your claim needs to be fast tracked and NOW! Otherwise you are facing losing your home. The landlord has the ability in most cases to contact the HB dept himself to confirm that you have indeed made a claim and it is them dragging their feet.

Get onto the HB and keep doing so asking to speak to senior staff all the time. or even ask for a meeting, show correspondence from your LL and how serious this is getting. Also if possible ask to speak to the actual person processing your claim and not ad advisor.

Failing this make a complaint to the Director of Finance or your local MP.

Ex CAG helper ^_^

Without meaning to unduly worry the poster, but it should be noted that the landlord can evict without reason(rent arrears or otherwise) at any time, provided the appropriate 2 months notice is issued and court proceedings followed. I don't think this has been mentioned yet. This is the case despite the current 6 month AST in force - security of tenure against S21 eviction exists only in the first AST issued, not upon renewals.

In the meantime, it is worth noting a couple of your rights. The landlord has no right to enter your property without a court order, or if you give him express permission. They cannot remove you without a court order. Persistant and unreasonable attempts(ie over and above "normal" arrears collection attempts) to force you to pay rent arrears etc can be classed as harrassment, a criminal offence. Any attempt to "force" you out by interfering with your day to day life, or enjoyment of the property(for example, disrupting utility supplies) is both harrassment and also attempted unlawful eviction - also a criminal offence.

• Haha 1

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

Hi

I am under a section 21 where the Landlord wants the property back at the end of the tenancy, and am a lone parent with a disabled child.

Has the landlord issued you with a Section 21 notice to quit yet ? If and when he does then immediately inform the council that you wish to make a homeless application. It is important that you are not classed as making yourself intentionally homeless due to rent arrears.

Therefore you should make it quite clear to housing benefit that it is them the council that are forcing you to become homeless. If you do become homeless then the council have to by law house you ( temporary accommodation at first ) and hopefully a council house/housing association property. Consider any medical needs and if so visit the doctor as this will help increase your points tally.

I have got a doctors report / school / diabetic nurse etc to support me and the housing needs team are now taking me seriously.

Stay strong and keep contacting the council if necessary every day so that they understand that you are not going away. I personally have nothing but contempt for the council departments who frankly dont seem to sort out anything and cause so much misery and stress.

It is so important to keep on their case as you dont want them going down the road of ( intentionally homeless ) as i have checked myself and the end result is a much longer wait for a council property.

Shelter are a good bet as they can contact the HB on your behalf and fight your corner, then you wont have to worry so much about the homeless aspect.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I would speak to your local Housing team now because most authorities have Prevention Officers to try and help prevent situations like this. This is a requirement the Government has made to local authorities, because of the shortage of Council Houses.

Also approach your local councillor about the delay with your H/ben claim.

If you do find yourself with a Landlords notice , then you are entitled to a homeless interview and because you have a child you are in a priority need, therefore , providing you are not intentional they have a duty to provide you with temp accommodation and give you reasonable preference to their properties.

If you speak to the housing benefits nicely, they may be able to do emergency payments. They do stipulate that if you do not meet the criteria when the process is complete, they will reclaim benefits that were not due to you.

I had this when I went from unemployed to employed. As my job was low paid, I was still entitled to the benefit.

My benefit stopped completely whilst they were determining the new benefit. I spoke to the department and they were very good. In fact, the amount that was due to me was higher than the emergency payment so I had a rebate once it was all sorted.