• Tweets

• Sunak actually nailed it in his boring speech yesterday  Starmers only offering is vote to be depressed  Just about sums up lefties  Humourless and Depresive🤣
    • Ah ok I will see if we receive it in the post tomorrow before I go to work. We want to see theirs so we know what documents they will list ? If their N265 is not received then best to send ours so that we do not miss the claimants deadline as per their draft directions.  What would happen if we did miss the deadline even by 1 day ? The claimant would use it against us in court ?  I scanned and posted in #159 the claimants continuation sheet attached to the N244 where they give a background of the case and reference e-mails etc. After this I will continue to work on the WS which is also causing me anxiety. This will also be used to object to their SJ application. I will advise tomorrow if anything else is received.  
    • Last September our 2019 plate Motorhome went to Brownhills of Newark for its annual habitation check/service. Whilst on their site for the day one of their drivers managed to drive it into a lamp post and put a 2m long scratch down the side of the body. They didn't own up to the damage, but luckily we noticed it before leaving the site, at which point the admitted fault and said they would fix it in house rather than go through the insurance. As they are an authorised Motor home repairer etc we agreed to this and a time frame of 3 weeks was given for the repair, which was booked in for late November. It could not be booked in sooner for the repair as we had a weekends away etc booked with the vehicle until mid November.  3 weeks, and a simple re-spray has now evolved to 18 weeks of them having the vehicle, due to the spray job having to be done 3 times, a window seal not been re-fitted correctly, leading to rain water pouring into the van and the replacement decals been applied wrong twice & having to be re-ordered from Elddis who originally built the camper. We finally got the vehicle back in late April, still minus 1 of the decals. Back in March we had an email from Brownhills asking what compensation we would accept due to the delays in returning the vehicle to us (They have had it for 18 weeks instead of the initial 3 weeks which was agreed). Once we finally got the vehicle back we told them what we expected (the value that the camper has depreciated by in the extra 15 weeks they have had it and which time we were unable to use it). They are now refusing to honour any compensation and are only offering us a free service for when this is due in September. Legally where do we stand?  Obviously we are not taking it back to them for a service, given that last time they managed to crash it and its taken so long for them to make such a simple repair. We are considering legal action, but are not really sure under what grounds/legislation we could claim. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    • Usual alarmist tripe from the Guardian exposed🤣     Many of the ‘Climate Experts’ Surveyed by the Guardian in Recent Propaganda Blitz Turn Out to be Emotionally-Unstable Hysterics – The Daily Sceptic DAILYSCEPTIC.ORG Last week, the Guardian published a survey of 383 'climate experts' and – shock – many of them turned out to be... The Guardian last week published its survey of ‘climate experts’. The results are a predictable mush of fire-and-brimstone predictions and emotional incontinence. This stunt may have convinced those already aligned to the newspaper’s ideological agenda to redouble their characteristically shrill rhetoric, but encouraging scientists to speculate and emote about the future of the planet looks like an act of political desperation, not scientific communication.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Couple of quick questions

Elky
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6112 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm thinking about starting a claim against Abbey but I have an overdraft of £1750 that I am well in to.

If I start a claim against them now, will they take this overdraft away from me?

I only ask because I dont want to start a claim then find myself £1700 down if they take my overdraft away.

Am I better off opening a new account somewhere and having all wages, direct debits etc moved to the new account?

Thanks in advance

Elky

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam

im not sure when you say they cant take the overdraft away, i think youll find accoridng to the T&C they can do just that.

However, what the claimant should do is when they initiate their claim they should formally write to the bank telling them that the account is in dispute and under the banking code sec 13.6 they should not carry out enforcement action until the dispute is resolved.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I was in a similar position re overdrafts, but then the Abbey pre-empted my decision by taking away my o/d limit. I've just opened a parachute a/c and have negotiated a repayment schedule with the Abbey over 2 years

All advice offered here is my opinion only based on what I would do in a given situation. If you wish to act on it you do so at your own discretion

I have no legal expertise or qualification, and give advice on the basis of my own experience and nothing else.

Ok. I've just opened an account elsewhere. Is it advisable to move my salary and all direct debit outgoings etc over to the new account? Will I need to make sure I pay the overdraft interest in to my Abbey account each month to avoid the account going over this authorised overdraft?

Cheers again

Sam

im not sure when you say they cant take the overdraft away, i think youll find accoridng to the T&C they can do just that.

However, what the claimant should do is when they initiate their claim they should formally write to the bank telling them that the account is in dispute and under the banking code sec 13.6 they should not carry out enforcement action until the dispute is resolved.

JMHO

Glenn

Hi Glenn

Would this mean no interest would be charged on my overdraft until the dispute is resolved?

Elky

If you pay something into the abbey account monthly then you can argue your repaying them and being reasonable, what they decide to do is a matter for them, but by repaying them you are in effect making it more difficult in principle to do anything drastic i.e. get a ccj for example.

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

MBNA - Settled in Full

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi Glenn

Would this mean no interest would be charged on my overdraft until the dispute is resolved?

I doubt it, the dispute is about the charges not the overdraft per se.

So if you were to win the dispute then they would have to remove any associated interest too.

In the event you lost, unlikley imho, then the interest would stand.

When i said enforcement action they are not supposed to register defaults or send you to the debt collectors or anything, i think it is therefore important to send them a specific letter disputing the account and not leaving them to infer it form your other correspondence.

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

MBNA - Settled in Full

Glenn Vs MBNA

Cheers Glenn, I get what you mean now. Do you think I will need to move everything to a new account before I start this process of regaining my charges? I'd imagine this is the sensible thing to do?

Hi Elky :)

IMHO it is best to have another account and move all your DD's etc (at least you won't land up in the s**t if they do take the overdraft away, which they can do under the T & C as long as they give you a reasonable time (A time which will suit them better than it does us!).They took mine away when I complained about charges etc.,

They are not bothered about a complaint to The Banking Code Board as this is not worth the paper it's written on when you need to use it, being voluntary. They have put a default on my account (which I shall have removed as part of my claim) and my formal complaint to the BCB resulted in a reply which says that they can do nothing as the code is voluntary!!!

Grrr! Grrr! Grrr!!

SG:D

:rolleyes:

How long did it take until they put a default on your account?

I've opened a NatWest account and will move everything over to that but it means I'll be £1500 overdrawn with Abbey with no money going in. I'm going to pay £50 in to this account each month - surely they can't issue a default if I do this and also write to say my account in in dispute?

Elky - They put a default onto my account on Monday just gone. This was despite their 'Man from Abbey' and me being in the middle of talks regarding my claim etc etc.

However, they cannot put a default onto your account as you are still within the agreed overdraft. The problems come if they take the overdraft facility away from you (which they did with me when I started to take action against them) I am not concerned as their actions are unlawful and as part of my claim stipulates that any default be removed they will have to see me in court if they do not do this.

I would say, however that this process has taken many months ie- it does not happen generally speaking the minute you start to take action. I was also not willing to pay them a penny back regardless of what they did but I can appreciate that not everyone is able to do that.

If you are nervous about this (some of the letters they send can be quite intimidating until you realize that it really is a load of old Bull and the law really is on your side - the more you find out the more encouraged you will become) you do have the option of, as some folk have done, paying off the overdraft prior to taking action but not everyone can afford to do that - I certainly couldn't and you would be paying interest on it whilst you did so.

This is only my opinion and what you do is down to you but feel free to lean on me if you need to - I will help (and there are many out here who will also do so). I may not always answer right away but I will listen out for you. :)

Just a quick edit - just realised that you may already be aware of all this as your join date was a while back so sorry if I'm saying stuff that you already know - just wanted to lend support !

Kia - you should take action against them x

SG :D

:rolleyes:

yes i was just thinking that myself that bit of the case id pushed to the back of my mind but it has to be done as we still have that on our account and its not on taxxkia

• 2 months later...

Hi

Its been a while since I was last on here and as of yet, I haven't taken any action - until now!

I went £4 over my agreed overdraft last month because of a direct debit. I was charged £20 + £30 for this. I wrote to them straight away (13th march) asking for them to refund the charges as my account has been kept in good order over the last couple of years. I got a response 2 weeks later saying they are investigating it. I sent them another letter on 28th March because they were now charging me another £115 (all due to the original £50). I signed the letter and enclosed the original letter I sent, stating I had still had no response.

I get a letter back yesterday telling me that because the copy of the original letter hadnt been signed, they couldnt help. Thing is, it was just a copy - the original sent on 13th March was signed!

I rang them this morning (25 mins to get through!) and asked if they could deal with my problem over the phone. The guy told me another £50 was due to come out next month (all rolling on from the original charges) so in total, they are investigating £215 worth of charges but it could take up to 8 weeks. I then said that I may as well write to them requesting my last 6 years worth of statements so they could investigate them too!

To my surprise, he told me he could do this over the phone. He asked if it was ok to take £10 from my account then said the last years worth of statements would take 1 week and the rest would take a little longer but its all in hand.

I'm quite surprised I dont have to write to them requesting this. Is this normal or should I still write to them?

Any help is appreciated!

Elky

Hello Elky

Seems to good to be true, a little too efficient, but if the've taken the tenner off you, just sit and wait for your statements to come through!!!

Keep your thread updated as to when you get them through or whether the shABBEY try it on with their 'all your info is stored on microfiche' excuse, and if you need any more help, just ask!

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

Well he did say that the rest of them are stored away and they would have to retrieve them. He said expect them shortly after the 1st years worth of statements. He said I should expect the 1st lot within a week. If they dont come through then I'll send the SAR.

Will you you updated for sure

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just spoke to Abbey on the phone again and asked them what was happening. I've asked them to refund the last 3 months worth of charges because they are screwing me up financially. They said they cant do this but started action on my account on 11th April regarding the last 6 years worth of charges.

Basically, the way she made it sound is that they can't refund just the last few months of charges because they are looking at the last 6 years worth of charges instead. They said this process takes 8 weeks (from 11th April). She said I should receive an offer from them within this time

Is this normal?

Cheers

Of course they could refund these latest charges immediately - they're just making things difficult for you & trying to pressurise you.......but at least you know they will have to refund the whole lot eventually

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

They won't offer you the full amount they owe you (don't forget to include the interest they've charged on all penalty fees over last 6 years too)............

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

Elky! To be honest I wouldn't even call them as that also is another expense for you which I doubt you are claiming;) .I started my claim 15 days ago and I am surprised at the turn around in comparison to others. This is my advice to you. Request your bank charges/ summary of charges enforced on the account for the past six years vis a S.A.R. Please do not rush into this, do not call them anymore. There will be enough help and advice here to support your plight. Telephone conversations to deal with your situation is not strong enough " One can always deny that you spoke to anyone about anything", however when you have the letter as proof your case will stand up better in court (if needs be). Wish you all the best and I look at your plight as it progresses.

Drew

ANDY VS ABBEY 23rd April 2007 -

'Don't get mad, get even'

'Patience is a virture'

Cheers guys. Will keep you posted. Received the last years worth of statements Friday and charges totalled about £400. Looking forward to receiving the previous 5 years so I can see how much they really owe me!

I am still waiting for previous statements but I noticed today that they have refunded £80 worth of charges to my account. I haven't even started a claim against them yet though so just thought this was weird.

Anyone else had this?