Do I have a chance with the Halifax??

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6288 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I have just received my 2005/06 accounts from my accountant who advised me that I paid £2500 in bank charges in that tax year!

He told me to leave Halifax. I know I should, but should I also try and claim these charges back?

These charges came about by direct debits bouncing,cheques bouncing but the majority was when they have charged me for this then ,as that took me over my overdraft, they then charged again and again sometimes for being a few pounds over.

I had a really bad financial year not helped by the Halifax and I know these charges are my fault (as agreed by very unhelpful people at the Halifax who would not raise my overdraft to help me through that period)but as I have read on this site should they be charging £30 eveytime?

Thankfully I have tried to be very aware of my finances since that time and have not incurred a charge for quite a while now.

Do I have any chance to reclaim these bank charges even though it was my fault?

I look forward to any help and advice you could give me!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lulu,

Read & re-read the FAQs:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

Read the Step-by-step Instructions:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/31460-step-step-instructions.html

And then use the letters from the Template Library:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

If you have any questions or queries, post them in this thread and someone will be about to help.

Read as many threads as possible to give you an idea as to timescales that Halifax appear to operate to.

Welcome to the first step of an exciting and rewarding journey..;)

Survivor :cool:

• Confused 1

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi Lulu, have a read of my thread, I claimed back £2281 from halifax with only two letters and a phone call. The whole process took 5-6 weeks.

Can I ask, is this a business or personal account??

The help, advice and support that you'll receive from his site is amazing. Just remember - it's your claim!! Stick to your timescales and you'll win in the end.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Hi

Thank you all for the advice.I will now start the process.Arghhh!!!

Scared though as it has always been me in the wrong and hopefully I will be brave enought to take them on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to let you know its my personal account and Im self employed!

I will keep you all posted on my progress and again thank you. XXX

Go girl! We're all here for you!!

A D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]"Another charge by the Bank?"

1st Claim (Current account)

30/11/06 WON! £3146.41

2nd Claim (Mortgage charges)

27/3/07 WON! - £277

3rd Claim (Credit card charges)

14/5/07 WON! £300

4th Claim (Old account 97-99 £444)

20/4/07 Prelim sent

9/5/07 LBA sent

Can't remember now but I WON!!!

My current thread - An A-Z - My previous saga

IF THIS HAS HELPED PLEASE CLICK THE SCALES - THANK YOU.

Hi Lulu -- just thought I'd ask about it being a personal or business account as I'm sure business accounts have different procedures. You will be fine - I know it's easy to say there's nothing to be scared of, but really, there isn't!!! Go and get back what is rightfully yours - we're all with you.

jaxads

Halifax - £2281, successfully refunded all charges after LBA letter & telephone call.

Have been offered the difference between the £20 and £12 charges from Capital One -- am sending LBA for remainder.

GE Money - Received settlement of £441, being total charges requested. No interest though.

CCA'd Bank of Scotland / Blair Oliver Scott to produce CCA Agreements on two Credit Cards - well in default, although still chasing payment!!!

EOS Solutions "ceased action on account" on behalf of a friend.

All in all, quite busy at the moment and enjoying every minute of it
:eek:

Hi

I have finally added all my charges together and they come to a massive £4160!!

I have completed the prelimary letter and done my schedule of charges.

I know its a pain as everyone seemd to be asking the same questions, but could someone take a look at the letter I will be sending,as I have taken the bit out about the overdraft charges as I have a very small overdraft and hardly get charged for it.

Request for repayment of charges

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxx

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxx

My request

I am writing to ask you to refund to me the charges which you have levied from my account over the last 4 years.

I now understand that the regime of fees which you have been applying to my account in relation to direct debit refusals, exceeding overdraft limits and so forth are unlawful at Common Law, Statute and recent consumer regulations. If you say that they are not, then will you please demonstrate this by letting me have a full breakdown of the costs to which you have been put by as a result of my breaches, in order to reassure me that your penalties really do reflect your costs.

Additionally, it has now been confirmed that your particularly high level of penalties are considered to be unfair per se by the OFT who reported on the 5th April 2006 and are therefore presumed to be unlawful in the absence of specific proof to the contrary.

Your responsibilities

I would draw your attention to the terms of the contract which you agreed to at the time that I opened my account. It is an implied term of that contract that you would conduct yourselves lawfully and in a manner which complies with UK law.

I am frankly shocked that you have operated my account in this way as I had always reposed confidence in your integrity and expertise as my fiduciary.

I consider that your repeated representations that your charges are fair and reasonable are deceptive and that they have deceived me into agreeing to pay them.

Your concealment of the true nature of your charges has prevented me from asserting my right until now.

What I require

I calculate that you have taken £3242.00 from Account xxx plus £918.00 from Account xxx. Total £4160.00.

I enclose a schedule of the charges which I am claiming with this letter

My targets to resolve this matter

I hope that you will enter into a sincere dialogue with me about this matter and I am writing this letter to you on the assumption that you will prefer to do this than merely respond with standard letters and leaflets.

I will give you 14 days to reply to me accepting, unconditionally, my request in principle and letting me know a date by which I will receive payment.

If you do not respond, or you do not respond positively, within this time period, I shall send you a letter before action giving you a further 14 days in which to reflect. I believe that these targets are more than sufficient for a large company such as yours with dedicated staff and departments.

After that, there will be no further communication from me and I shall issue a claim at the expiry of the second deadline.

-------------

I will be greatful of any help or advice! If this is ok I will be sending this to the trinity office recorded delivery.

Bring it on!!!!

Thank you Maddyrose1664.

I was so shocked when I actually went through the charges.There were times when then had grouped charges together, therefore for a few weeks I had over £100 coming out of my account in one hit.It was getting me more and more in trouble and they were never helpful when I phoned them and asked them to stop the charges !

Just one more thing. On my statements it only came up 'Charges as Notified ' will that be ok to put in my schedule as I do not know what each charge was for!!?

Yes just put charges as notified. Halifax dont detail what the charges are for.

Dont forget, dont add the interest yet.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hi Lulu I just sent mine to Halifax Plc, Trinity Road, Halifax, West Yorkshire, HX1 2RG and it got to the right place. I was claiming £2204.00 and started my action on the 3 January, I would have gone the whole way but they offered me £1283 in respect of mine and today by telephone have increased to £1800.00 which I have accepted as I need the money - I didn't think it would be so easy so good luck with yours :)

I sent the LBA on Friday last week by recorded delivery and their letter was dated the 23 which was Tuesday so I'm not sure whether it was in respect of the preliminary letter or not. I had all of my bank statements for the 6 years already so I have only had to do the preliminary letter and the LBA and I'm really happy even though I'm kicking myself a bit, the person I spoke to asked what I would be happy with and I said £1800 I suppose I could have said the whole amount but didn't want to sound too greedy :) but I am made up with the fact that I got this much back - good luck with yours :)

Well just to let you all know I sent the prelimary letter off on Friday recorded delivery.

I am now waiting for the bog standard letter and will then send LBA 14 days after they received the prelim letter!

Watch this space!!! xxxxxxxxx

The waiting is the worst part. ;)

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Lulu,

I sent my prelim on Saturday 13th Jan. I got the standard reply (dated 18th Jan) the following Saturday telling me that they had recieved the prelim on Monday 15th, and that they had 4 weeks to reply.

Guess what, no further correspondance from Halifax...:rolleyes:

LBA posted on Saturday - they should have got that yesterday...

Another 14 days and I'll be filing MCOL :D

IMHO, whilst you're waiting fornothing to happen, you'd be best off readin some more threads and the FAQs, etc so that you know what to expect..

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Thanks survivor

I hope your case goes well. I am making sure that I read and re-read the forums and everything else on this site as I wanna be prepared for the worst ie going to court.

Keep me updated with your progress fingers crossed eh? x

good on yer!! Good luck with your claim. :D

F&Q's... Read here

If you post it on the 26th then your 14 days start from the 27th as they normaly get it the following day.

Is that the date you posted?

F&Q's... Read here