Sam vs Halifax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6311 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I applied for my account details, and actually recived the last 15 years of my statements quite quickly. In total I have been charged £1492.50 since 1991. These charges have varied in magnitude between £10 and £50! So now i should use a spread sheet to date and order and list all the charges? And then use the second template letter in the library (letter befroe action) to attach these to? Soryy if this is time wasting but still new to all this!

Yes, first get them on to the spread sheet, then send the prelim, then 14 days later send the lba.

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

I thought that yo could only claim back charges over the last 6 yrs :-? :-?

Survivor :cool:

If you found my advice to be useful, then please click the scales to the left - Thank you.

Halifax - 13/01/2007 - Prelim sent

Halifax - 27/01/2007 - LBA

Halifax - 19/02/2007 - Filed N1

Halifax - 21/02/2007 - Telephone call from Halifax offering FULL SETTLEMENT (inc costs & 8% s.69) - RESULT!!

Advice & opinions given by Survivor are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I sorry im new to this, im a bit confused about the spreadsheet. All i sent to Halifax was a copy of my statements with charges and interest debited highlighted and the copy of the request for repayment letter template. Was i meant to send this spreadsheet as well? Where can find this spreadsheet and how do i find out my interest rate? Im sorry im just so confused, i dont mean to be thick but obviously i am.

Also, whats the difference between unlawful and illegal?

Can i send the spreadsheet with my next letter which will be LBA?

I do apologise but im struggling with all the jargon on this website. Iv read so much but still a but hazy and dont want to make a prat of myself if this goes to court as I dont fully understand

Hiya,

Dont worry, this is why people on here help each other,

The letter you need to send forst is the prelim

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/671-2-letter-preliminary-approach.html

The spread sheets are here

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/182-6-interest-calculation-spreadsheets.html

Dont worry about the interest yet, that comes later at the court stage.

Do the simple sheet.

Here are all the template letters you will need

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/

I hope some of this helps. :)

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Hey Bex123

I thought the idea of just sending of the balance sheets with the charges high lighted was a good one! Maybe its just easier for the bank to use a spreadsheet? I ca see the value of the spreadsheet for the interest calculations

• 2 weeks later...

Right!

Got a lovely letter following my LBA saying blah blah 'within 4 weeks' blah blah. So have ignored this, and not replied, and just waiting for the 14 days to expire before I hit them up with the next letter.

Its starting to get exciting!!!!!

This is like having some cool weird part-time hobby that also makes you money. Wonder how often bank employees check this site?

:?: One other question if anyones out there.

Before I recieved my full back-dated list of statements/charges I recived a letter saying the Halifax didnt keep any details of manual interventions, and by law didnt have to. Is this true and accurate? Or just careful wording by them?

Cheers

They are basically telling you in a roundabout way that there are no incidents of manual intervention on your account. Which means all incidents were done on an automayed system and cost pennies instead of pounds.

Go get em.

TezViper

I give advice not as an expert on law, only as a guy who succesfully claimed back £3385 from The Halifax. Followed by another £2611.

Lloyds TSB settled in full before hearing

Cap One offered full settlement and default removed.

If I help in any way then please donate to the site when you are succesful

• 3 weeks later...

Right!

Had a letter from the lovely halifax offering me a 'refund' of £1,154.50p, rather than the £1500 (excluding interest) that I asked for. What now? I have to take them to court? And will this next step take years or months? And what are the chances of them refusing o pay me the full amount? Am I better off just accepting their offer?

Any help much appreciated

:)

Did you apply for 8% interest from your first letter? And is what they offered you the full amount of charges without interest?

If they have offered you all charges without the interest then I would take it.. as I was under the impression we should not include 8% interest in the first 2 letters and only when going to court.

AtMoSpHeRiC X

26/01/2007 = Requested 6 Years Bank Statements.

02/02/2007 = Received statements, charges £1,684.

02/02/2007 = Sent Prelim Letter recorded delivery!

:D

If im reading this last post right your charges are £1500 without the interest and they offered £1154.50, if this is the case then simply give them a call and ask to speak to the persom whos name is on that letter they will have the authority to settle for the full amount, tell them you are giving them a final chance to settle before court at which stage they will have to pay judicial interest and your costs, they will more than likely settle, however if you wish interest also then just continue to court and send them the refusal letter which you will find in the bank template lib.

dont speak to the person who answers the phone as they will more than likely tell you that is all you will get as they have no authority to settle your claim, hope this makes sense, good luck and let us know how you get on, several people have had success from this.

No.

The total owed without interest is approx £1500. The interest (at 8%) is another £200. So they have offered £1154 rather than about £1700

A significant difference!!!! BUt will I get it all back? Who knows!

Cool george that really useful. Will try ringing in the morning. By now they must realise that the majority of people are a/ serious about this and b/ gonna get the money back any way. Settling out of court seem s sensible for them

LOL sam just realised that I had read your post wrong, thought it said including interest not excluding! I am a dumb azz lmao.. forgive me it's late lol :D

AtMoS X

26/01/2007 = Requested 6 Years Bank Statements.

02/02/2007 = Received statements, charges £1,684.

02/02/2007 = Sent Prelim Letter recorded delivery!

:D

Yes one final thing. In the letter offering me a partial settlement, they say they will make the payment to my Halifax account. Now that account has been passed on to Blair Oliver and Scotts, and anyway id rather that when they do finally get some money back, I choose where it goes. Will this cause problems? Or is it just them being awkward?

Just spoke to the halifax man, who carefully avoided saying anything blaming the bank ('we dont believe these charges are unlawful' etc etc) and hinted that I was the problem ('very poor account management, been over the limit 84 times in 10 years') and refused to increase his offer.

So court it is I guess. I shall now go and print off a refusal letter, then apply online to court.

The guy also said that an Office of Fair Trading report into credit card charges said that a fair charge was £12. Any one else heard that one?

There was a program on tv (its on here somewhere)

They had 3 experts and between them they recon £2.50 is a fair price for a charge

F&Q's... Read here

I didnt do mcol so im not sure how it fills in, but i do know that there is limited space so i would of thought a straight forward explaination.

If im wrong then please some one else jump in!

F&Q's... Read here