should I even try?

restlessbankboy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6363 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

sorry for the slightly negative title - just trying to grab attention. :)

Basically I'm about to be charged £100 for going overdrawn during december and november. The charge is due to go out next saturday (13th Jan) and when I called to try and get it waived I was offered £50 off the total (it was originally £150) - they said this was because it was the first time it's happened (which I find hard to believe).

Now I appreciate that compared with what some folks on here have been charged £100 is a paltry sum. But it's not paltry to me, I'm a temporary worker getting paid weekly (hence going back and forth over my limit) and £100 is the bulk of my take home pay for the week - and surely the bottom line is they shouldn't be charging it to me in the first place?

I've been informed that no human being on the phonelines is willing to drop the fees in full and so I have to write to the Arlington Address - the reply will be within 8 weeks, they say.

So in short I have two (and a half) questions:

1) does anyone know of another way of trying to get the full charges waived before they're taken out? the clock is ticking.

2) if i can't sort this then is it worth pursuing for a mere £100? i feel like i'd almost be insulting the people who've been charged so much more - also have i prejudiced my claim by accepting the £50 waived already? I did so before looking at these forums.

thanks - and good luck to all who are claiming. I actually work for a bank (not HSBC) and know exactly how much admin work goes in when an account goes overdrawn.... it's precisely 0.

best

rbb

Hello,

sorry for the slightly negative title - just trying to grab attention. :)

Basically I'm about to be charged £100 for going overdrawn during december and november. The charge is due to go out next saturday (13th Jan) and when I called to try and get it waived I was offered £50 off the total (it was originally £150) - they said this was because it was the first time it's happened (which I find hard to believe).

Now I appreciate that compared with what some folks on here have been charged £100 is a paltry sum. But it's not paltry to me, I'm a temporary worker getting paid weekly (hence going back and forth over my limit) and £100 is the bulk of my take home pay for the week - and surely the bottom line is they shouldn't be charging it to me in the first place?

I've been informed that no human being on the phonelines is willing to drop the fees in full and so I have to write to the Arlington Address - the reply will be within 8 weeks, they say.

So in short I have two (and a half) questions:

1) does anyone know of another way of trying to get the full charges waived before they're taken out? the clock is ticking.

2) if i can't sort this then is it worth pursuing for a mere £100? i feel like i'd almost be insulting the people who've been charged so much more - also have i prejudiced my claim by accepting the £50 waived already? I did so before looking at these forums.

thanks - and good luck to all who are claiming. I actually work for a bank (not HSBC) and know exactly how much admin work goes in when an account goes overdrawn.... it's precisely 0.

best

rbb

Hi RBB

It's never not worth pursuing no matter what the amount an unfair charge is an unfair charge and no you haven't prejudiced your claim by accepting the £50. As you say you have contacted them this is why they have offered you the £50, that would have been my advice. I would say that there is very little hope of the charges being waived at this stage and the only advice I feel is the right advice is unfortunately to go through the claiming process which will, as you are aware, take time. Do you have any other charges that you need to claim or is this only one? Perhaps as the amount is so little they might settle sooner (we can hope!!).

Sorry I can't be more help!

Boo

;) Boobaby

Please hit the scales if you think I've helped!

Please note that advice given is purely my opinion and should be treated as such.

FAQ’s

http://www.consumeractiongroup.c o.uk/forum/faqs-please-read-these/

HSBC Claim - August 2006 £2,700 paid November 2006

Halifax Claim - August 2006 £4,100 paid December 2006

GE Capital - August 2006 - settled

Log Book Loans - August 2007 - sorted

I agree with Boobaby!

Whether it's worth going to court for depends on how determined you are, but check that these are not the only charges you can claim for...... If you go to court...go for ALL they owe you!

At present though, just don't take no for an answer and keep writing to them!

If you have to stop the charges because the money is covering your living costs or bills and the charge will make it worse for you, then exercise your first right of appropration to your money.

The bank won't like it though! They may threaten you with blacklisting, closing account etc. If they do however, ask them to put it into writing so that you have the evidence when you complain to OFT.

I've learnt to get everything in writing!

I think if you kick up enough fuss they will relent in your case, especially if it is the first time! You are right to fight it though, if they can they will keep charging every month.

I believe there are apropriation letter templates that may be used if you need to go down that route.

If you have to stop the charges because the money is covering your living costs or bills and the charge will make it worse for you, then exercise your first right of appropration to your money.

could you point me in the direction of this bit of the forum? I'm finding it a little hard to navigate.