Lycamobile Data Breach - Have You Been Affected?

Are you a Lycamobile Customer?

Have you had recent transaction you dont recognise declined to companies that you have never shopped with before Online or Internationally?

You could be at risk. A number of customer have begun reporting that their Debit Cards may have been compromised from a previous breach. ISPreview are investigating, but please let us know if you are having issues. 

WWW.ISPREVIEW.CO.UK

Mobile operator Lyca Mobile, which last week confirmed that it had been struck by a serious cyberattack that disrupted their systems and connectivity

Your details could be at risk of Identity theft. Be Vigilant! 

• Thanks 1

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

• 2 weeks later...

I've been affected - got 0.00 'tests against credit card used for lycamobile which are apparently precursors to charging your card via various known dubious methods - buying vouchers and suchlike. Some apparently charged for vouchers etc straight off.

Seems this is NOT limited to last Octobers lycamobile data breach and newly used/created cards used very recently for lycamobile payments are affected, and company seems to have a very dubious history IMO

Really seems to be a company to avoid

Cancelled my lycamobile package and deleted card details from account as well as card being blocked and changed.

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Crumbling: Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes

with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

Some other examples from Ispreview

page-21

The Tory Legacy

Record high: Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

I think the really serious bit of this is thats its clearly ongoing with no notification to users from lyca or the data commissioner

The credit card visa version i used' 'security team' also seems utterly clueless about this - but thats not an unexpected level of negligence/incompetence.

Had to find out the 99.9% likely source of issue myself.

The Tory Legacy

As I spent another hour or so last night cleaning up the mess from lycamobile apparently 'leaking' my credit card details, I thought 'why the heck hasn't anyone proactively notified me of a 'potential' ongoing issue with lycamobile leaking credit card details?

Nothing from lyca, nothing from the ICO, nothing from my credit card (used on lyca) security/fraud team (well other than blocking the card when a weird very unauthorised transaction occurs?

So putting aside that there was apparently a massive donation from 'lyca' to the tories despite (lol because?) of the history of allegations of money laundering etc which seems to be associated with the company (which one you may ask) I went to have a live chat with the ICO

Live chat not available and ICO page today (31/05/24) says:

"Our helpline and live chat service will be closed between 1pm and 3pm today (Tuesday 21 May 2024) for staff training."

No wonder data breaches go unaddressed eh?

Edited by tobyjugg2

The Tory Legacy

Well, been on chat to ICO - I think anyone whos thinking of setting up a business to rip off CC and personal details has little to worry about

The Tory Legacy

So here's my story. 

Lyca moved to EE last year to as part of the BT Wholesale opening up EE to more MVNOs... Never considered Lyca before because the coverage was terrible. Going to EE meant the reliability being excellent IMHO (Background of tech) 

I ordered a SIM last year to convert to ESIM and paid for an unlimited plan for £9.99

Service from CS was dreadful. Ditched and went away. 

Came back in March / April this year when I found an offer for 6 months @£9.99 unlimited data.

Ditched them as the latency and other factors was terrible and went to Spusu. (Also EE MVNO) 

On a Sunday night a few weeks ago, had a failed transaction for Coles Australia. I challenged with with my bank even though it was declined. They gave me some info for the payment for me to do my investigation 

• Thanks 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I also started getting OTPs to a mobile number that I since have had to change after 10 years in case it was compromised. 

The only card that I had provided to Lyca was a virtual card that they had stored for payment processing.

TLDR - Lyca are claiming no breach, there is definitely a breach. ICO are useless and havent heard from Lyca. 

• I agree 1

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis