Can't Find Old Work Pension.

Ever so sorry if I have entered this in the wrong part of this website.

My grandfather is in his 70's and retired.  He asked me to help him find a work pension that he was paying into when he was working.

From 1967 - 1982 he worked for a Fabric Dying Company, Celanese, Spondon Derby UK.

I have already used the GOV.uk Trace Pension Scheme.

It listed a few pension companies :

Akzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme formerly Courtaulds Pension Scheme.  I do not fully understand how this works but I think this scheme is administer by a company called Willis Tower Watson.

We have called this company, got through to the pension department submitted all my grandfather's details (D.O.B. , N.I. no. etc.) but that agent tells that they have no record of my grandfather and ask what is the name of the pension scheme.

Here is the problem, his home was burgalled in 2005 and a briefcase which contained his legal documents was stolen.
So he does not know who was the Pension Scheme company.

I have a this phone number 01332 681 210 for Celanese but it just rings and never gets answered.

So I am asking for help if anyone can tell us where we can try next.

I am also hoping for a massive long shot that one of them members on this website, worked for or knows someone who worked for British Celanese Spondon Derby and could tell us of any pension company.

Thanks for any help.

I had some contact with this company earlier in my working life but I'm afraid there's not a lot I can suggest that you haven't already done.

During your grandfather's time  British Celanese was a subsidiary of Courtaulds. Courtaulds was subsequently (after your grandfather had stopped working there) acquired by Alzo Nobel. They in turn closed down the Spondon site and sold it.

I have no idea what the number is that you are trying to call. It's a Derby (Spondon) area code but the number appears not to be allocated.

From my slim knowledge of the history of the company I would have expected your grandfather's pension to be in the Alzo Nobel (CPS) Pension Scheme. 

But Willis Tower Watson are the Pension Scheme Administrator of that scheme and would be the people who should know if your grandfather had contributed.

Is your grandfather certain he contributed? Joining pension schemes wasn't compulsory in those days.

Or might he have got his contributions returned when he left them? That happened sometimes back then.

Sorry not to be of more help.

• 3 weeks later...

So sorry it's took me a few weeks to respond back to you.

Thank you so much for your response.

My grandfather is clear about the pension deductions on his pay slips.  As I mention before all these went missing in the burgarly.

We have tried Willis Tower Watson but they were not to helpful.

I am stuck what we can try next.

Thank you again.

If you scroll down on the Moneyhelper website (LInk below), you can book an appointment with Pension Wise

WWW.MONEYHELPER.ORG.UK

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread