Extra headrest: Do I have to declare this safety mod?

My Vauxhall Astra [edited -HB] was purchased used in 2018.

I realised after purchase that with the standard cloth upholstery there is a seatbelt but no headrest provided for the rear centre (5th) passenger, which seems pretty dangerous but was legal at the time.

I was very concerned about this and research revealed that the leather upholstery version does have a centre headrest and pretty soon I found a 60% leather seatback on eBay with the extra headrest and easily fitted it to the car.

But now I find I am asked by insurers if the car has been modified. Does this count as a modification? If I answer “yes” on the online quotes I get a dropdown list but there is nothing like this mod presented as an option to choose, and if I select “body mod “ I always end up being told the car cannot be insured.

Can anyone offer advice? Specifically, if I do not declare as a mod do I risk invalidating the insurance? SAGA helpline were interested in the query but haven’t come back to me yet.

Unfortunately I didn’t keep the old seatback so that one is a non starter, and yes, although the car has since passed several MOT tests, I did fit the seatback myself at home. I will ask my garage about this tomorrow.

I would lean towards no, you don't have to declare it.

There's no harm but I doubt the insurance would care and personally, I wouldn't bother.

The general rule for most insurers (I don't know if this covers Saga but I imagine it's similar) is that they only log modifications if they either:

• Increase performance (Brakes, engine mapping, turbo kits etc)
  • Increase the perceived/actual value (Bodykits/colour changes)
  • Change the security of the vehicle (alarms, hardwired dashcams)

The likelihood your insurance gets invalidated for a head restraint, I believe, is basically zero.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

If you're unsure, I would suggest calling Saga tomorrow and asking them.

I would lean toward it being an option, not a modification.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Agree it is not a modification that needs to be disclosed to Insurers as changing the seats has not changed the risk.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary.

The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part.

The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change.

I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.

Has changing the seat increased the value of the car and/or made it more attractive for thieves to steal ?

From what you said, any additional value would be low and any increased attractiveness to thieves appears quite low.  But for an Insurance company looking to charge an extra £50 for a modification, I can see why an Underwriter asked the question may say it is definitely a mod.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread