• Tweets

• Hello, firstly thank you for reading this. I know no one wants a long winded back story. So I’ll be breif. I entered a local store to buy some paint (which I did pay for) I am honestly not a bad person or a theif.   Didn’t have a basket or trolly as was on my lunch break. Whilst picking up the three tubs of paint placed some masking tape in my pocket (it was hanging out of so I had every intention to pay) just didn’t have a hand free. Paid for my goods (forgot about the £4.39 masking tape) I’ve got so much going on and im not well at all (like I say no one cares I get that) also have autism so wasn’t thinking particularly like others do maybe (who knows my minds going around and around) I left the store after paying, was pulled back in by security. Asked for the tape which I gave immediately  shook up. Gave them my ID and details. I was given some paper and told to expect a large fine in the post for their time and the tape and sent on my way. my questions are: I hardly ever go out without support so the ban I guess I can’t go there now for anything (their loss) - ok but is my photo going to be all over with my name? how much am I expecting in the post as a fine? I have sent them cash in the post recorded signed for delivery to arrive tomorrow (incident happened today) for my error. Their Address was on the bit of paper. i have read two posts on this page but they were from many many years ago so I hoped for updated advise please? 
    • V important you read lots of BMW threads too !  
    • So should I send them a new SAR and put my date of birth on it? Or do I need to send them some proof? Driving license? 
    • Thanks so much for your help!! I've emailed them, and when they reply saying they can't do it I'll reply and state my rights. I'm so glad I found this forum, and will read all of the posts I can find and help guides available for the future. Really can't thank you enough.
    • utter BS, doesn't matter you signed it. pers i'd be writing as per the other threads here rejecting the car as not as described under CRA etc and be done with it. as its a debit card you could also do a full chargeback within 120 days to your bank and simply dump the car back to BMW. 100's of like threads to read here. get your ducks inline. make sure you know what you are doing and off you go. dont take any BS from BMW, no matter what you sign it does NOT remove your consumer rights. p'haps it might be on the off chance you are a good manager , a quick phonecall tomorrow saying you dont want it because (no bla bla fitted) it might be resolved in 5 mins..i will guess to date you not tried
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Caught using mother’s 60+ Oyster card - 50+ uses - SJPN Court

Going to court - TFL fare evasion

Thanks everyone for clearing everything up for me, I really appreciate it! 

I did already send off the letters to the court after I signed them (the letters asking if I am guilty and confirming the journeys were made by me), I included copies of the emails to TFL plus their replies. So the court should have this already. 

On the day of the court hearing I will bring the cash with me and try to find the prosecutor beforehand to apologise and ask to reconsider court.

I am really nervous about all this.

How can I identify the prosecutor and how do I go about approaching them?

Lastly, would it help my case to say that I'm not born in this country (moved to London 4 years ago)?

I changed the last paragraph of this email I want to send to TFL. Do I need to change anything else?

To whom it may concern,

With reference to my email of 26th March 2024 and your reply of 3rd April.

Once more, I would like to assure you that I will not engage in fare evasion again.

I am aware that the 60+ Oyster card is funded by TFL and is intended for specific eligible individuals. I acknowledge that I made an error by using the 60+ Oyster card. Since the incident, I have exclusively been using my own Oyster card for fare payments. Additionally, I have a railcard linked to my Oyster card enabling me to pay fares legitimately at a cheaper rate.

This ordeal has impacted my mental well-being, resulting in me constantly feeling stressed and anxious, as well as being unable to have a restful sleep, therefore affecting my concentration.

I sincerely hope that you will consider this matter out of court.

Yours sincerely,

To find the prosecutor on the day we normally recommend speaking to the court usher and asking them to point out the person.

I'm not clear what advantage you think it would be to say you moved to the UK four years ago. You're clearly an intelligent person, are you trying to say that you didn't understand the system?

Which version of the email are we on now? I thought you were sending it a couple of days ago.

Also, you start with 'To whom it may concern'. Didn't the TfL letter have a name at the bottom of it?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

On 07/04/2024 at 13:18, dx100uk said:

did you send a copy of your completed court forms to TfL with any of your begging emails? to show you've admitted and fessed up guilty as i advised before?

4th time ive advised/asked this now.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi dx, sorry maybe I wasn’t clear but I said multiple times that I sent off the documents to the court.

I have also forwarded a copy of it to TFL.

You’re right HB I’ll leave the fact I’m not from the UK out.

I sent off the previous email you checked off to TFL already.

Apologies for the confusion.

I appreciate all the help you have been providing for me :)

I will update once I get a response from TFL.

• Like 1

Hi everyone.

Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:

Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.

We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.

However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).

I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.

Yours sincerely

James Vallis

At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…

Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous.

I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect.

If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.

As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages:

Introduction and statement of facts

Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card

Penalty sentencing

Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)

Am I guilty?

Yes.

Why did I not pay the fare legally?

Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.

Why do I not accept a criminal record?

I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.

That's a shame but not unexpected. 

I'm not sure about your assumed  questions because I haven't been to court but I'm not sure about not accepting a criminal record. It could be a language thing but it isn't your choice unfortunately. 

HB

Posted (edited)

Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?

I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?

I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?

Edited by jk2054

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below.

HB

WWW.GOV.UK

How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...

• Thanks 1

dx explained the court day in post #40.

As he says, as you've pleaded guilty, it's more about your mitigation about why you did it and I believe your financial circumstances so they can decide on the level of any fine. That's the time to try and explain your financial and other positions if you have a criminal record.

HB

ive already CAREFULLY explained how it all works earlier.

what you will have to pay is already preset and detailed on the court forms/TfL stuff you already have.

you wont be asked any questions upon your financial means etc. thats not under debate .

you wont be asked upon any mitigating circumstances, you have pleaded guity which you always SHOULD. 

the ONLY 2 reasons you are attending is to:

1) after finding the TfL prosecutor... plead directly face to face before you go in to try and get an OOC (you can bring up or say anything/everything you like ...anything that might get them to agree)

2) if 1 fails...show your genuine remorse face to face to the magistrate, BRIEFLY mention how a criminal record would hinder your future

then hope they take pity on you and dont also record this on your file. 

PS its only declarable/shows there for one year anyway. regardless to what an employer might ask in job questionnaires past 1yrs you forget about it. they cannot see it even on enhanced DBS etc etc.

you should not latterly ever appeal a criminal record for this type (1yrs)  of 'offence'

its not worth it and if you lose said appeal it will cost your dear in terms of additional wages grabbing and court fees. and extends the time it shows if you lose too.

dx

• Thanks 2

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you dx.

To add one thing to what you said, a court fine can be paid in instalments unlike any OOC settlement with TfL which will need to be paid on the spot. We've always said to take cash along, I don't know if they have card payment facilities nowadays.

HB

• Like 1

Also, if you have time and your particularly stressed you can always go down to magistrates court before your hearing so you can see how it all works.

Courts are OPEN to ANYONE

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

8 hours ago, honeybee13 said:

I don't know if they have card payment facilities nowadays.

TfL prosecutor will not carry a card terminal no. cash is better..however often give a number to ring to do so.

• Like 2

and they

Thank you so much for all the information you all have provided! I really appreciate it. 

dx I will definitely speak to the TFL prosecutor before the hearing if I can find them to beg for an OCC.

Just to update.

At the start of this journey I reached out to many organisations and advice centres but no one responded.

However, a few days ago I received an email back from We Are Advocate, that a barrister has volunteered to help me with my case. He said it is his job to get the best possible outcome for me.

He suggested I get some character references, which I have done and will be receiving over the course of the next few days. 

He also told me: 

Unfortunately, you WILL be left with a criminal record if you are convicted!

You do not stand convicted of the offence  YET.

You can only be convicted if

a) you plead guilty AT COURT or

b) you are FOUND guilty after a trial in open court.

So that answers one of our questions.

I have asked him lots of other questions and I'm just waiting for him to reply. 

So glad I will not be facing the court alone.

TD

there are several threads here already whereby the judge in such cases only made an order to pay the required sum, the registering of a criminal record is at their discretion or not.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your advice during this stressful journey.

Here’s a quick update of what went down today. 

The court hearing itself was very quick, lasted about 5 min. 
The magistrates got me to pay the amount I owe (the outstanding travel costs), as well as a fine and surcharge.

They reduced the court fees from £375 to £200. 

The magistrates told me the amount I need to pay but didn’t mention anything about a criminal record.

Does this mean they didn’t give me any or is it implied by giving me a fine?

Please let me know.

Thanks!!

TD 

On 21/03/2024 at 21:09, dx100uk said:

you will do well to get away with an OOC settlement here .

if the magistrate added anything else, bar the victim surcharge which is a std 'fee' everyone pays, then you have been fined as well.

if a magistrate imposes a separate fine in addition to the above then that is a criminal penalty, and thus is recorded on your record.

sorry but there you go.

i did warn you last month it would be a miracle if you didnt get a criminal record.

dx

and they

Thanks dx.

I asked the barrister, he said that I would have a mark on my record which will be wiped clean after one year from the date of the amount being paid in full. 

TD

correct as i've already told you that atleast twice here.

dx

and they