Shoplifting in Waitrose - Banned No Police called

I am extremely embarrassed to even write this

I wish so badly I could go back in time

I shoplifted in Waitrose and got caught. I left the store and security guy asked me to go the small room.

There were few members of staff ganging on me. I peed from stress and was shaking.

They asked me if its my first time I said yes

They calculated value, took pictures of me, I had to sign banning letter.

One lady kept shouting that they should call police.

They released me and told me to never come back to any Waitrose store for lifetime.

How embarrassing. It happened 3 days ago. Since then I can not eat, can not sleep. I am paranoid.

When someone knocks at the doors I jump. I can see police arresting me in my head. 

I feel like I can not function anymore.

I am thinking that security is now checking all cctv cameras gaining evidence and filing case against me.

I feel like any life is going to be ruined.

My mind already is.

Please let me know, could they contact Police on Thursday without telling me?

Can police now be investigating my case?

Can I be charged?

If I google information I am in a more panic state and I can't read as everywhere it says that

I can go to prison.

• dx100uk changed the title to Shoplifting in Waitrose - Banned No Police called

nothing will happen at all. its a civil matter not criminal.

the police will not come for you ever.

you wont end up in prison

simply avoid that store for a few months.

forget about it totally and move on with your life.

• Thanks 1
  • I agree 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Thank you so much for your help. I struggle with mental health. I have PTSD, depression and anxiety.

I will go to gp on Monday and take anti depressants as I am not okay.

I look at my children and cry. I will have to live with that shame for the rest of my life.

I didn't tell my husband nothing as I am so embarrassed. 

Is there ANY chance they can contact the police? like are there any cases? and I could be one of them?

Does store could do something without informing me?

They told me that I probably shoplifted before, as people like me do it. I don't deserve a glass of water.

They were shouting in the store Look at the shoplifter. I am traumatised, but I deserved all of this.

I just need to know if police can be involved by any chance and what do I do now

Hi. 

If the police haven't been involved so far, I don't think they will be now.

As you say, go and talk to your GP to see if you need extra help. But stop shoplifting because it could be a lot worse next time. 

HB

• Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I will never ever do it again. Never again in my life.

I went shopping to Sainsbury and I saw a big guy followed me. That scared me a lot. I don't know if I was paranoid. I was so scared to even scan. 

But I guess they can still involve the police and that's what is worrying me. That it can even take 6 months.

How do I function in the next 6 months 😢

• I agree 1

the police will never be interested end of.

they only ever get involved in gang crime shoplifting whereby the mass proceeds are used to fund drug related crime not a silly housewife making a human mistake.

please rely forget about it totally. 

go have a chat with your gp and try and get off anti depressants too, they help no-one under long term use.

dx

• Thanks 1

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Does it mean that if they punished me in the shop, took my details and picture and I signed ban letter and they let me go That's the end of it? Or do they sometimes continue investigation? My heart is beating fast, my head spinning. I don't want to dig in the Internet anymore as it is driving me crazy. I am worried that at some point I will receive a letter from police Is it something possible to happen?

I have one more question,

who is going to see my picture they took of me?

is it only Waitrose staff or other retailers as well?

My client is a manager of a big store and now I am panicking that she will see my picture.

your photo will remain with the store only, they can't under GDPR send it anywhere. bottom line is there is no point in them doing so.

there are no stores in the UK that can use, nor do use, face recognition

• Thanks 1

and they

Thank you for all your answers. 

I would also like to know would that be shown on my DBS check?

I am still panicking, waiting for the letters from RLP.

When someone rings the doorbell I jump and feel so scared. 

Please try to re-read your thread when you're feeling calm because I don't think what we've told you so far is making sense to you yet.

RLP are not the police and they can't do anything to you. They might write scary letters but you can ignore them. They also can't take you to court because they haven't lost any money.

Only a criminal record has to go on your DBS check and you haven't been anywhere near a court, have you? Only Waitrose could start a court case and after a case years ago in Oxford, no retailer that we know of has gone to court.

Once again, the police are not coming and RLP don't go to people's houses, they just write. No reason to worry about the doorbell.

Sadly this is all a consequence of you deciding to shoplift but if you stop doing it now, you shouldn't have any problems.

HB

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Illegitimi non carborundum

I don't know if I will be near the court.

Waitrose gave me a letter to sign, took my passport picture as I didn't have driving license with me and they took picture of me. They told me to never go back to Waitrose or John Lewis shop. They didn't call police, but this does not make me calm at all. I wonder if they somehow want to investigate my case. 

I will never shoplift again. I regret is so much. Yes I understand the consequences but what if the consequences would be court case or informing police.

• 5 weeks later...

I have received first RLP letter which I completely ignored.

I just came back from Sainsbury's and I saw on the notes which are placed in a lot of shelves that is someone takes stuff without paying will be treated as shoplifting and police will be informed.

My question is

is it possible that Waitrose will contact police with my case?

Even month or longer after incident or they already contacted them and I don't know about it yet. 

std shoplifting sign used since the 1960's

if they put the truth then everyone would know Police are never involved. and what would they do then...🤣

and they