TFL Bus Lane PCN - Communication Error?

Hi

I received a Penalty Charge Notice on a Bus Lane in Commercial Road, East London on 17/01/2024 (see: PCN_Letter.pdf). I accept this was my fault and understand why the PCN was issued. 

On 24/01/2024, I appealed the PCN with a generic appeal - didn't see bus lane operating times etc, just to provide myself extra time so that I could get paid at the end of the month and afford the £80 fine. I was not expecting the PCN to be cancelled.

I received a letter on 20/02/2024 (letter dated 08/02/2024, see: Appeal_Response.pdf) which said "Thank you for your informal representation..." but did not include an appeal decision.

I viewed the PCN via the TFL website to check the Status History to see if another letter was sent which I am still waiting for or if I had missed an already sent email.

The latest history showed TFL received an appeal and sent a confirmation of receipt email (see: TFL_Website.pdf).

I also noticed that the charge had already increased to £160 despite the 14-day 50% off period still being in place (08-02-2024 to 20/02/2024 is 12 days).

My post office service is terrible in my area, letters regularly come late and delivered all at once/go missing, hence why I had received the letter so late.

Given this information, I had (wrongly?) assumed TFL is going to send me another letter - or another letter is on its way, which will provide an appeal decision (rejected/accepted) and the 14-day reduced period will begin from the date of that letter.

it is now the 26/02/2024 and no further communication received

. I called TFL Red Routes phone line today (26/02) and explained the situation.

They said the appeal decision (rejected) was made on 08/02/2024 and 14-day reduces period expired 22/02/2024.

They mentioned nothing can be done about this and I will have to pay £160 in full. 

My main reason for posting this is that I find it unfair that I have to pay the full charge even though there was a major communication error.

I would have paid the 50% reduced price given that I had received my wages from work, I don't want to suck up to TFL and pay the full price.

Can anything be done about this? 

Any help/advice appreciated. 
TIA. 

TFL_Website.pdf Appeal_Response.pdf PCN_Letter_.pdf

I'll be honest TFL will go all the way for these.

I'd suggest personally maybe emailing TFL if there's an email on that letter.

Otherwise, unless someone else advises differently, I'd say it it's pretty done really sadly, especially as you are now outside of the grace period.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you today?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group The National Consumer Service

• 2 weeks later...

Have you received the Enforcement Notice they refer to in the PCN?

This would be sent after the 28 days had expired on the PCN itself.

It is in response to this notice that you need to make formal representations. All you appear to have done so far is make an informal challenge.

If you ignore the Enforcement Notice, you're toast!