• Tweets

• yet another Brexitish failure   England set to miss post-Brexit targets to clean up rivers by 2027 INEWS.CO.UK Nearly 80 per cent of England's rivers, lakes and coastal waters may fail to reach a 'good' standard by 2027, a post-Brexit watchdog warns  
    • No. The defence is different. Their defence paragraph 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 – for the first time makes reference to an alleged term between the Packlink/EVRi contract which apparently specifically excludes the effect of the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. If this is true then it is very likely that they will have closed that loophole because the 1999 act specifically allows itself to be excluded by an express term within the principal contract I think that you will have to do ask the court to require them to provide evidence by way of presenting their contract and also the date that this new amendment was inserted. I understand that your claim refers to an item which was lost a year or so ago. These give us the date. We would certainly want to know that this amendment predates the date when you first contracted with Packlink to send the item. I would want to say to the court that in the absence of their willingness to confirm with evidence the date that this contractual amendment was made, that the court should assume that this was a recent amendment and was therefore not in force at the time you made your contract. We have third-party defences on this sub- forum which are fairly recent and there has been no mention of this exclusion of the 1999 act. I think we can take it that this is something that they have put together very recently. Secondly, even if they want to exclude your third party rights, it does not absolve them from the negligent handling of your item and in respect of an action for negligence you have first party rights. You don't have to rely on third party rights – although of course, you didn't allege negligence in your original claim. We didn't advise you to do so. Maybe shortsightedly we didn't foresee this contractual amendment. Of course assuming that this contractual amendment is true – although I expect it has only been added recently – what they are saying here is that nobody in the United Kingdom who makes any contract with any parcel delivery company using Packlink will have the right to bring a claim for lost or damaged or even stolen parcels. These people have lost their moral compass. It is shabby treatment of ordinary customers who pay their money and who repose their trust in these parcel delivery companies. No wonder that the Paralegal Children are now ashamed to sign off these documents with their own names. In terms of parcel tracking information – apparently it has been destroyed according to their own data protection policy. That's their business. It's got nothing to do with you and they can't use this to frustrate the six year limitation for bring a breach of contract action or the three-year limitation period for bringing an action in negligence or other tort. There reference once again to the exclusion of the 1999 Act but this time apparently in the contract between you and Packlink – is irrelevant because the exclusion has to be in the commercial contract between Packlink and EVRi – which they have referred to in their paragraph 2.7 et cetera of their defence. I'm assuming that you propose to go ahead with this case. Please let us know when you respond and we will go forward. In the meantime, I suggest that you write a letter to EVRi. Referred to their paragraph 2.7 et cetera and asked them for a copy of the contract and confirmation of the date on which the exclusion of third party rights term was included in it. Tell EVRi that if they do not answer or if they refuse that this will be brought to the attention of the judge. Tell them also that you notice that they say that they have destroyed data in line with their data protection policy. Inform them that they do not appear to have disclosed this data protection policy to their customers. Please will they forward you a copy of it and once again if they failed to respond or if they refuse that you will bring this to the attention of the judge as well. I suggest that you post a draft of the letter here so we can have a look    
    • Good morning dx100UK Could I send the update to you privately? Regards
    • On the other thread you posted on, you asked about immigration issues. We aren't qualified to give that advice, sadly, you would need to find an authorised adviser. 'It is a criminal offence for a person to provide immigration advice or services in the UK unless their organisation is regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) or is otherwise covered by the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999. Members of certain professional bodies may give immigration advice without registering with OISC.' How to become a regulated immigration adviser - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK  
    • Hi. Can you show us the letter from the police please? Cover up your name and address. Our upload guide will help you. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Infringement of personal rights & privacy: Professional Panel hearing - Advice sought

I'm new to the Forum, I hope Members will bear with me, please. I'm seeking information from those who may have knowledge about Professional Panel Hearings.

There was an infringement of my personal rights and privacy i.e. the right to respect for private and family life (as defined) which resulted in defamatory comments being made in public.

1. I was a witness in a case involving the theft of substantial quantities of medication, along with the names of the inmates to whom the medication was prescribed.

2. I stumbled on the medication and subsequently reported the matter to the authorities. I was NOT implicated or involved in the matter other than witnessing the physical presence of the quantities of medication which was in a place where it should not have been.

3. The Professional body responsible for taking action against their registrant professional and alleged perpetrator (a nurse) conducted a public hearing in public. I'm not a Nurse nor do I have any links with the health sector or prisons.

4. There was abundant physical evidence present to substantiate the allegations and there were other witnesses including senior prison staff called to the hearing.

5. In cross examination, I was questioned at length about (i) my relationship with the alleged perpetrator who was of the opposite sex and known to me, the relationship was put under the 'microscope', so to speak; (ii) assertions were made in cross examination about my own alleged prescription medication.

6.The matter was in the public interests as it concerned the theft of public sector resources by a public sector employee.

Help, please:
(i) Generally speaking or as a rule of thumb what elements do I need to focus on to show that my personal rights and privacy were trampled?
(ii) Any comments generally, please?

I would be grateful if members could please spare a few moments to help me with the above query.

Having dealt with witnesses in many criminal cases and other public tribunals. I am sorry to hear of your experience. Members of the public support the criminal justice system by giving evidence. Witnesses should not be abused during hearings, although some barristers seem to forget that. 

You have asked about a breach of your human rights and it seems you might be thinking of Article 7 - right to private life, by revealing your identity and intrusive questioning.

You say this was a public body holding a disciplinary hearing. So HR legislation would likely apply to that body. But try getting an explanation first. 

My first port of call would be the officer or official who led the investigation. Speak to them and follow up with a letter explaining your concerns. Ask them to put you in contact with the organisation (or part of it) that ran the hearing. There will usually be a secretariat who will direct your complaint to the right person. 

If a witness feels badly treated during a hearing, then it will be taken seriously. Without witnesses there could be no hearings or justice. Should an explanation be unsatisfactory then ask how to escalate the matter.

Grounds for withholding witnesses identities. This is usually dealt with at the preparation stage if harm might arise or justice thwarted. There is no general breach of Article 7 for identifying witnesses but it is not unusual to keep it out of the public record. 

In respect of intrusive questioning by defencr. The panel should have intervened if it became inappropriate. However the accused also has a right to a fair trial (Article 5) and a proper denfence. A balance must be found. 

I'm sorry if this seems unspecific. In my experience miscommunication is often at the bottom of witness issues. Perhaps there is a learning need you can highlight. 

• Like 1

Hello Mycathasfleas; I'm grateful to you for taking the time and trouble, not only to read my post but to study the issues and provide a helpful and offering some pointers. I have found some of the language you have used and the relevant legal sections you refer to helpful too. I will certainly weave some of these specifics in my communication with the public body concerned. 

In my opinion, there were unnecessary and avoidable clear breaches of personal privacy on matters which did not link to the subject matter. Even if there was a need to interrogate my credibility, the physical evidence was there and it had been established that this had been moved from the prison to another destination, a distance of over 200 miles. In other words, my personal information was not needed to solidify the allegation. 

Many thanks once again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Mycathasfleas and other Members - I've done some additional research following the steer provided by Mycathasfleas (thank you, very much) and it's clear to me that the 'Fitness to Practice' panel went far beyond their remit and disregarded the protection of my personal and privacy rights to, in my opinion, an unacceptable level. The personal aspects raised in relation to the matter in question were of no relevance. I now have a copy of the Fitness to Practice's  'Terms of Reference' & key lines of enquiry in relation to the matter which they were investigating against their registrant, this did not have the slightest tenuous link to the personal questions which were put in the public domain without my consent.

The question I wanted to ask is whether such panels as this - the 'Fitness to Practice' panel are immune from civil action. I'm asking because a fellow worker seemed to think that they are 'immune' from civil action due to the fact that if they are open to litigation, they will be less effective because they will not be able to rigorously challenge the evidence as well as the credibility of the Witnesses who testify against accused professionals.  I would welcome your comments, thoughts and steer please, particularly if you are aware of where I can look for reference/background material.

I hope you can help.

My experience regarding witness treatment comes from criminal courts in England and Wales and from staff association work and (unfortunately) appearing as a witness at employment tribunals. I would not give advice outside my experience. The Professional Qualifications Act 2022 enables appropriate regulations to be made by relevant bodies (eg Nursing and Midwifery Council). If you know the regulatory body there should be a pathway for complaints. Beyond that it feels like lawyer territory. Sorry I cannot be more help. 

• Like 2

Mycathasfleas - thank you once again for taking the time and trouble to read and respond to my query. I agree with your conclusion but I wish I was able to pursue the matter in that direction.

I have just learnt that a law student I know has asked a qualified lawyer on my behalf and has been told -  The notion of immunity for such panels primarily stems from the desire to allow them to perform their duties without fear of being sued for their decisions. This is based on the principle of judicial immunity, which is extended to certain functions and roles that are quasi-judicial in nature. Fitness to Practice panels often fall into this category, as they make decisions regarding the professional conduct and competence of individuals in various fields. However, this immunity is not absolute. It is generally limited to acts carried out in the course of the panel's official functions and is intended to protect members from personal liability for decisions made in good faith and within the scope of their authority. If a panel acts outside its remit, engages in conduct that is ultra vires (beyond its legal power or authority), or if there is evidence of bad faith, malice, or gross negligence, then the immunity might not apply.

This is work in progress as I need to do more research. This the matter put me to considerable detriment. 

• 3 weeks later...

To Members who have helped me before and possibly others who may read this post and the background before, I wanted to pick your brains once again, if I may please. The purpose of this query is to get your perspectives on the nature of my grievance and what I'm calling an 'infringement of my personal rights and privacy which occurred in the 'professional panel' hearing where I was giving evidence. I have requested and received the terms of reference which guided the panel in investigating the matter at hand, against their registrant who was accused of theft.  Firstly, here are the points  which were NOT in dispute:  (a) substantial quantities of prescription medications with inmate's names were stolen from a prison where the accused had access through her work (which has nothing to do with me); (b) the medications were stored and hidden at location 'X' where both the accused and me had access (200 miles from the prison where the medication came from, stored & hidden without my knowledge); (c) all stolen medication was accounted for and (d) on discovering the hoard of medications, I approached the accused who did not cooperate, following which I reported the matter to the relevant authorities including the police.

Terms of reference provided by the professional panel: (i) Theft of medication; (ii) Breach of patient confidentiality (please see attachment - LAST PAGE as marked in red]).

I need to properly articulate the nature of the infringement of my personal rights and privacy, bearing in mind that the professional panel was held in public. This is based on the fact that counsel for the accused made a 'quantum leap' from the terms of reference to interrogating me about my personal medications, my personal relationships - past and present, my marriage, civil matters which I was pursuing through the court in relation to personal matters. The chairperson of the panel made no attempt to intervene when it was within her power to do so - as to the line of questioning which had no relevance to the matter being investigated. I'm a strong boy, but some of the interrogation was all so unnecessarily distressing and I became quite distraught given that I was in a public arena. 

I am seeking help as follows: (a) is my thinking right that my personal rights were needlessly trampled, correct? (b) if so, what specific legislation do I need to read up on?

I'd be grateful for your help.

[please see attachment - LAST PAGE as marked in red]

Terms of Reference_14114721.pdf

Edited by Macks-Headroom