• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Directions Hearing Leeds

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I told him i would not accept less than my agreed 2,415.37p ( told him he could forget the 37p)

Hi Jenny,

May I ask, does this figure include your interest, 8%, court filing fees, time charges etc, or is it just the charges and standard interest?

I am a bit uncertain as to what bits Barclays are willing to shell out for.

Barclaycard: LBA sent 06/09/06 - delaying response on 09/09/06 - reply mailed 20/09/06 - further delaying response 04/10/06 - partial refund 10/10/06 - responding with request for remainder.

Barclays: Preliminary letter mailed 20/09/06 - offer of £600 received 17/10/06 - rejected with modified LBA 19/10/06 - started MCOL process 28/10/06 - AQ filed December - transferred to Mercantile Court 26/01/2007 - Settled in full 02/02/07.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily Mail to day ran an articule regarding Bank CHARGES WHOLE PAGE

suggested asking for charges levied not for copy stements as the Banks can ask for a payment of £5 per statement. The Banks said people were asking for the wrong information.

This may be of little use to the stage of your claims however I think a phone call to the writer of the articule (hope i spelt this right) may add a bit more pressure to the case

May be some photoeeess if it gets that far

regards

Hi Thanks for all the replies...sayonara...barclays are disputing the figures for the charges...theres is £500 lower than mine!! They are willing to pay it though...at the mo they are arguing over paying the lit in person charge, but they were gonna refund my court cost twice!!!! Too strong, i agree...sad reallyLOL

Jenny ps i'll keep ya posted

Hi All,

I have not got my CMS sheet into the court yet. I only got my letter on Tues to say that I will be in court on 7th Feb (Leeds). How important is it that the court gets this???

I'm also getting my bundle together as well. I am also working on Wed so time off required which I'm not best pleased about.

See my blog here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/46690-junklunacy-barclays-2.html

Barclays Bank - Preliminary Approach for payment 03/11/2006

SETTLED IN FULL 05/02/2007 £1722

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/46690-junklunacy-barclays.html

JL,

When I spoke to the lady at court last week she said the 'submit within 7 days' was not cast in stone. I suggest that you take the CMI sheet in personally, fax it or send it Royal Mail Special Delivery (£4.10) and that way you can track it and get a signature for it. CPR 59 says that you should also serve a copy on the defendant (again I suggest by Special delivery).

In all honesty I suspect that the Court is expecting most, if not all, of these claims to be settled before 7 February. The submission of the CMI sheet is just going thru the motions and putting the banks on the spot as much as anything. If you have asked for 'further information' from the bank and 'disclosure of documenst' (which you ought to do) in your CMI sheet, then the banks are duty bound to respond, which they do not want to do.

Note that I gave some details of CPRs and CMI sheets in my message of yesterday on this forum. Don't let me put you off track as there are some ready made CMI answer templates earlier in this forum by others.

Couple of points hopefully these haven't been answered if they have sorry for the double post.

costs can be claimed i believe for claims pre allocation and if the case is allocated to fast track of higher.

since we are talking mercantile court i believe that costs can be awarded for all work done legitimately to date. If anyone has time to do the search of the CPR go to HM Courts website/legal-professional and search through the CPR you may find the specific rule that confirms this.

I know with my claim against Barclaycard they argued it was small track until i pointed out it hadn't been allocated to track and therefore my costs were recoverable.

Re the bundle issue, although strictly speaking i agree you don't have to submit one, i would recommend you prepare one. As much as most claims will settle before you get to the court, if there is anything contentious about your claim e.g. default removal or charges older than six years or contractual interest, its entirely possible the defendant will pay the charges before the hearing leaving only the 'minor' issues to be resolved.

they will then argue in the case management hearing about these issues and if you are not prepared you will loose, there is no doubt about this in my mind.

So the choice is yours, in my view you should prepare as if you were going to present your claim in its entirety.

If you rely on the banks not turning up then you have to be prepared to lose your claim.

JMHO

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

I've filled out a Case Management Sheet and will post to Barclays and Court today via Special Delivery. My court bundle has been a work in progress but i won't be sending to anybody as yet!! Over 50 sheets x 3 copies can be costly!!

It is also interesting to read other threads about peeps concerns about the courts lack of informing claimants on particulars etc. I think this forum needs a v big pat on the back for filling this void :) It is also interesting to read about the associated group context of all these claims on 7th Feb. If a precedent is to be set this will have serious shockwaves for many banks and financial institutions.

Barclays Bank - Preliminary Approach for payment 03/11/2006

SETTLED IN FULL 05/02/2007 £1722

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/barclays-bank/46690-junklunacy-barclays.html

Hi info i have pre-prepared in the court bundle-

Documents Index:

S.1 correspondences.

A - 27.07.06 LETTER: DATA PROTECTION ACT REQUEST TO BARCLAYS-1

B - 01.07.06 LETTER: REPLY TO Data Protection Act REQUEST FROM BARCLAYS-1

C - 01.08.06 LETTER: REQUEST FOR PAYMENT OF CHARGES TO BARCLAYS-3

D - 07.09.06 LETTER: ACKNOWLEDGMENT FROM BARCLAYS OF ©-1

E - 30.09.06 LETTER: LETTER BEFORE ACTION TO BARCLAYS-1

F - 03.10.06 LETTER: RESPONSE FROM BARCLAYS TO (E)-3

G - 05.10.06 LETTER: DECLINE OF SETTLEMENT OFFER TO BARCLAYS-1

H - 20.10.06 LETTER: ACKNOWLEDGMENT FROM BARCLAYS OF (G)-1

I - 17.10.06 COPY OF COUNTY COURT CLAIM FORM ISSUED BY CLAIMANT-1

J - 17.10.06 NOTICE OF ISSUE FROM COUNTY COURT-1

K - 03.11.06 NOTIFICATION SERVICE HAS BEEN FILED-2

L - 20.11.06 TRANSFER OF PROCEEDINGS-1

M - 20.11.06 NOTIFICATION OF DEFENCE FILED BY BARCLAYS-4

N - 20.11.06 COPY OF ALLOCATION QUESTIONNIRE-4

O - 21.12.06 NOTICE OF TRANSFER-2

P - 06.01.07 NOTICE OF TRANSFER-2

Q - 26.01.07 NOTIFICATION OF ALLOCATION AND HEARING-5

R - 27.01.07 LETTER: LAST ATTEMPT TO SETTLE-1

S - 29.01.07 LETTER: COURT PACK ENCLOSURE LETTER-1

S.2 AUTHORITIES

A - COPY OF BANK STATEMENTS SUPPLIED BY BARCLAYS BANK-10

B - SPREADSHEET SUPPLIED WITH CLAIM DETAILING SPECIFIC DATES AND COSTS-1

C - DATA PROTECTION ACT (1999)-56

D - DATA PROTECTION ACT (1999)-SCHEDULES-45

E - UNFAIR CONTRACT TERMS ACT 1977-8

F - THE SUPPLY OF GOODS AND SERVICES ACT (1982)-15

G - OFFICE OF FAIR TRADING REPORT APRIL 2006 (OFT842)-39

H - HOUSE OF COMMONS EARLY DAY MOTION EDM (2227)-2

I - UNFAIR TERMS IN CONSUMER CONTRACTS REGULATIONS (1999)-10

J - HOUSE OF COMMONS SELECT COMMITTEE ON TREASURY, SECOND REPORT: ‘TRANSPARENCY IN CHARGING’-14

K - DUNLOP PNEUMATIC TYRE CO v NEW GARAGE AND MOTOR CO LTD (1915) A.C. 79-2

L - ALFRED Mc ALPINE CAPITAL PROJECTS LTD v TILEBOX LTD (2005) EWHC 281-3

M - LIQUIDATED DAMAGES (MAY 2005)-3

N - CASE REFERENCES- 1

245 PAGES PLUS 35 COVER SHEETS - TOTAL 280

I found all the information and documents for the authorities section through links in jonni2bad and bookworms thread. They were really helpfull and everything i needed was there.

When i went to the court and handed in the case management sheet she also accepted my court bundle but said alot of claims were setteled before court.

Hi, Spoke to barclays today and SETTLED IN FULL....no confidentiality agreed so i can tell all!!!! He tried to argue my case lacked merit etc etc my figures didnt match blah blah, in the end he was bartering over £50. I told him i wasnt wasting my time or his so i would see him next week. He coughed up for the full amount. so now i'm just waiting for the cheque before i inform the courts. 2nd claim already in against barclays and SAR sent for alliance and leicester...We will win the banks.

jenny:D :D :D :D

Congratulations Jenny. The only shame is that it seems the banks won't yet have their day in court.

One day.;)

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

With less than 4 working days the banks are gonna be busy trying to settle before wednesday, theres still a chance we'll get our day in court.

Anyone else heard from their banks

jenny

Jenny, I haven't heard from Barclays.

Could I have the fax number you used?

Then I can fax Barclays a copy of the CMC info, to show them its for real and point out that if they don't settle by end of day Friday, I will also be seeking loss of business turnover of £180 p/hr on Wednesday (yes I know it almost as much as solicitors fees :) )

That may catch their attention and get them to put a spurt on.

PS Congrats !!!

Shame we may not all get to meet - until the next time. Now where is that shAbbey Nat letter..... :)

Finally got my full offer from First Direct today... still holding out on the cheque though and my acceptance letter told them as much!

___

MBNA VISA - PL sent 23/10

MBNA MCard - PL sent 23/10

FD - PL sent 23/10, offered approx 75% 27/10

Marbles - PL sent 23/10, rejected letter received 27/10

Hi All...Thanks for the congrats...it means alot. Crispdust I've PM'd you..good luck. We could still be there on wed if i dont get my chq..lol

The later it gets it gives the banks less time to haggle. "Mr" Lombardi made me no less than 9 offers!!!!!!

I'll keep you posted.....You all will get settled....Jenny

a word of advice guys, when agreeing settlements make payment within seven days a condtion of acceptance.

I did with barclaycard and i got my cheque in two .

HTH

Glenn

Kick the shAbbey Habit

Where were you? Next time please

Abbey 1st claim -Charges repaid, default removed, interest paid (8% apr) costs paid, Abbey peed off; priceless

Abbey 2nd claim, two Accs - claim issued 30-03-07

Barclaycard - Settled cheque received

Egg 2 accounts ID sent 29/07

Co-op Claim issued 30-03-07

GE Capital (Store Cards) ICO says theyve been naughty

MBNA - Settled in Full

GE Capital (1st National) Settled

Lombard Bank - SAR sent 16.02.07

MBNA are not your friends, they will settle but you need to make sure its on your terms -read here

Glenn Vs MBNA

Hi...When i faxed accepted settlement letter i said i would not inform the court till i had received the chq

Jenny

Well done Jenny, this has been coming for a long time and for yourself it will be nice to have closure on this particular case.

I have had a funny day today!

Spoke to your mate A L about my monument claim. This is how it went..........

First of all he stated that he had sent me a letter with an offer, which I said I had not received as I had left for work early. A L says the charges figure I have sent in was incorrect according to the finance department. I told him I had been over the figures many times and they were correct and would not be changed. He then offers me approx. £740 which I refused, then £803 which was my original claim in november. I told him no way because interest had accrued by this time and it was £845.54 and as I had a much larger claim going through if I took less now then Barclays would try it on the larger claim. He was adamant that my figures were wrong so I decided to push him on the figures. I asked him how my total charges differed from Barclays. He would't answer my question. It got so bad that I said to him "you are not answering my question and it's annoying me big time" After 30 mins he says that finally says "we are both busy people, and we have things to do I will settle for £845.54 to save us both time".

This may sound long winded, but it is important. Through the conversation we discussed contractual interest at approx. 27.9%. This is the sum interest rate he eventually paid out at £845.54.

Later I talk to a lady about my larger claim. (The other woman who was dealing with it has left probably too much stress). The first thing she says is "your figures do not match with ours" deja vu or what. She says that the interest is more than the charges so there is no way they will pay (same again). I said that I have had a claim for contractual interest approved just hours earlier by A L. She then puts A L on the phone who blatantly says that he has not agreed to contractual even though he has sent me an email with the full amount.

The really annoying part was neither of them had my schedule to hand but they argued that my figures were wrong.

Tomorrow I will be sending an updated schedule of charges to them, should be interesting.

A L stated that it would be quicker to send out a cheque to me rather than do a CHAPS because of the level of red tape even though I am a Barclays customer. I will be sending a letter also stating that if the cheque is not received before wednesday I will be still going to the court to show that an agreement has been made but not completed.

I should really be celebrating, but it is not over as yet.

too strong gets it on - whoop whoop baby!

Jenny ta for info. I've emailed and faxed AL a copy of my CMC and making it clear that settlement is required by 5pm Friday or I will be seeking the additional costs of £720 loss of turnover since I will have to cancel my pateints first thing Saturday to give enough notice.

Is it just me or do these people get off on arsing around and arguing the toss?

Well done Too Strong...AL's conversation seems word for word like mine...lol. I spoke to him today and i told him i will not inform the court till i get the chq. He said he'll send it recorded so i should get it tues. If you want to email AL with the charges list( i had to too) i've got his email. He tried that one on me. Its one of there last efforts to save a few quid...bless him.

Jenny