I was scammed on eBay, and now I owe PayPal money.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1103 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Long story short. I sold a laptop on eBay for £900. Buyer was a scammer and claimed non receipt of item. Amazingly the case was awarded in buyers favour and he was issued a full refund. As a result I am now in debt with PayPal. Should I pay PayPal or should I withhold payment since I have been scammed? As you can imagine I am furious at the situation. I am concerned that I will lose my PayPal account and be banned from PayPal for good. I plan to take the matter to the small claims court but I am first trying to conclude a claim with the shipping company, unfortunately this claim is just a formality as I am convinced that the buyer has the item and has scammed me. If all else fails would I stand a chance of winning a case if PayPal or their debt collectors take me to court? 

Long story short. I sold a laptop on eBay for £900.

Buyer was a scammer and claimed non receipt of item.

Amazingly the case was awarded in buyers favour and he was issued a full refund. As a result I am now in debt with PayPal.

Should I pay PayPal or should I withhold payment since I have been scammed?

As you can imagine I am furious at the situation. I am concerned that I will lose my PayPal account and be banned from PayPal for good.

I plan to take the matter to the small claims court but I am first trying to conclude a claim with the shipping company, unfortunately this claim is just a formality as I am convinced that the buyer has the item and has scammed me.

If all else fails would I stand a chance of winning a case if PayPal or their debt collectors take me to court? 

Edited by BankFodder
Restructured in order to make it readable

moved to the online forum 

1st a debt collector DCA is not a BAILIFF

and have 

ZERO legal powers on ANY debt no matter what it's type.

only the owner of debt can ever take you to court.

now, with the demise of the EU in the UK, the situation regarding debts to paypal might well have significantly changed as they are now duly registered with the FCA as a creditor in the UK.

what used to be the case was that there was nothing they could do to you, you simply removed all funding sources from paypal (nothing to stop you doing that now still) and inform the relevant bank of any payment source you can't remove not to honour any requests for payment going forward in writing. again nothing to stop you doing so now still.

there is nothing that stops you opening a new PP A/C just use slightly differing details .

as you are not 'out of pocket' i would get on and do the above.

as for going forward, thats out of your hands and to date, there has been no sign of PP actually doing anything to anyone since brexit happened, as these scams and frauds are part of their business model as they ran away to luxy years ago to avoid paying £1B's in UK tax 

you are quite safe to ignore everyone until or unless you ever get a letter of claim.

pers i don't think anything has actually changed and you'll not hear anything bar arm waving...

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...