Rail fare evasion fraudster gave my name and address

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1210 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The CAG site team are very concerned about the situation and we have had a private discussion.

My site team colleague @dx100uk posted this suggestion in the post below

I suggest very strongly that you contact them immediately and give them full details of what's happened.
You should give them the whole story but specifically you should make sure that you tell them:

have someone that for +5yrs has been using like or the direct same names of me and my family when stopped multiple times by many TOC's (some xxx times),

i have now found out i have been convicted, fined, and have had bailiffs at my door, regarding this persons actions - i am desperate for your help.

Please let us know that you have done this and what the reaction has been. Please make sure they get a reference number – it will probably be a crime reference number and also if possible the name or telephone number et cetera of any person or department that you speak with. It may be important to go to get back in contact with them again and using the same reference number or contact details will help the various conversations be connected with each other on the BTP file.

However, although the British Transport Police will be very interested in trying to track down the person who is causing all this problem, they will not be able to deal with all the problems which have been caused such as your wrecked credit file and your personal data records with various organisations.

We can help you with that. Of course if the British Transport Police managed to find the person, then information that they gather will be of additional help in sorting out your problem.

So it seems to me that there are two objectives.

• Number one is to stop it happening again by finding the culprit and arresting them.
  • Number two is to undo all the damage that has been caused - and hopefully to get you compensation because it seems to me that the train companies have not acted correctly in trusting the word of a person who has been travelling without a ticket and who is clearly dishonest.

However, we are still waiting for your input on this

4 minutes ago, Slimspider said:

Here are some of the train companies :-

East Midlands trains

Access to personal information

You are entitled to see the personal information we hold about you and may obtain these details by emailing us at: [email protected]. We are entitled by law to charge an administrative fee to meet our costs in providing you with such details and we may require proof of your identity before we supply the information to you.

transpennine express 

You have the right to request that we:

• provide you with a copy of the information we hold about you;
  • We have appointed a Data Protection Officer. They are responsible for our approach to data protection and protecting your privacy. You can contact them at [email protected].

•  

virgin trains 

You have the right to request that we:

• provide you with a copy of the information we hold about you;

[email protected]

Northern by arriva

No longer in existence - we will have to find out who is now holding the data

LNER

[email protected]

metrolink

[email protected]

I have posted up above the email addresses which you should used to send statutory requests for data disclosure. Let me say that these websites don't really make much of a feature of data protection and I have a feeling that it may be difficult to get your disclosures – but you should try.

Please read the explanations and instructions that we have in our library at this link >>>  subject access request

Use the template that you will find about the third post done in that link.

And I think that you should do this immediately with this initial SAR.

So broadly speaking your subject access request should include the following sentence which you should incorporate into the template:

my name is XXX and my address is XXX. (This should be the address to which they have been sending all of their trouble)
as evidence of my identity, I am sending a copy of a utility bill/bank statement/other ID with your name and the relevant address on it.

Then you use the words in the template to make your statutory request.

Please let us know if there is anything that you don't understand and if you will be able to do this.

You should make sure that you keep copies of all of these emails – and also give yourself a diary note of the date that you sent off the disclosure and a note of when 30 days would have expired – after you have given them about two days for them to receive the email.

If you get any replies from them wanting further information et cetera then please let us know.

I notice that East Midlands railway say that they are entitled to charge a fee. This is wrong. This was before 2018 and it is shameful that they haven't updated their website to give proper information.

If any of your daughters have had problems from these same railway companies then they should also send exactly the same letters, with their own evidence of identity.

In order to send utility bills et cetera, you may need to scan them – if you don't have them electronically already. This means that you will have access to a scanner.

I know this all sounds a lot of work at the moment – but it seems to me that you have had for years of serious trouble and distress and you now need to take control. I'm afraid that this won't happen without some initial effort but once you get it going, it will start to pay dividends.

Don't expect the railway companies to comply immediately and without problems. Some of them will – but some of them will need threatening and we will help you threaten them.

Some of them may one additional ID checks – let us know about anything you hear from them – but very importantly, keep an eye open on the deadline – the 30 day deadline which will be sometime in January.

I'm afraid that building up a proper file of evidence is the only way to deal with this properly and to get people to pay attention to you.

Have you got the action fraud reference number?

Action Fraud

If you wish to see the records of any correspondence you have sent to the IOPC, or if you have a query or complaint about this privacy policy or about the site, you can contact us by emailing [email protected].

Dear Sir/Mdm

Data subject access request – reference number XXX

my name is XXX and my address is XXX (use the address which was given as part of your original action fraud complaint)

I am accompanying this request with a utility bill in my name and address/bank statement in my name and address/some other appropriate ID – as evidence of identity.

I would be grateful if you would let me have all information which you are holding in reference to the complaint I made to Action Fraud under the complete reference number XXX (above).

I need to know what action may have been taken in respect of this complaint and what the position is at the moment.

Thank you

Yours faithfully

Slimspider

Also, I understand that you may have complained to one rail company who undertook to refer the matter to the British Transport Police.

Which rail company was that please?

Finally, as you have been told that British Transport Police have been informed about the problem, I think you should find out what they are holding and what they have done.

Therefore send them an SAR as well – pretty well the same as before, with evidence of ID –

Subject Access – Accessing Data Held About Yourself

Information held on the Police National Computer

To find out what information (if any) is held on PNC about you, (i.e. a copy of your prosecution/conviction history) complete Form ACRO SAR1. These checks are carried out by the Association of Chief Police Officers Criminal Records Office (ACRO). When you complete this form you need to send it directly to ACRO. ACRO will reply directly to you at the postal address you provide on the form.

All submissions and enquiries relating to this process should be directed to ACRO.

ACRO
PO Box 481
Fareham
PO14 9FS

0845 6013999 (8.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday)

[email protected]

use the email address rather than sending the letter. This will make things much easier – but once again, keep everything well-organised. Every SAR to each company or organisation should be kept separately with a diary note relating to it and any information received should be stored with that company's entry so that it is all highly organised.

This is a very complicated case and i'm sorry I can't add anything useful towards your case , but the best people on this forum  are here to help you get it sorted. 

I have a gut feeling that someone might of got your details from 192.com,  You can actually pay a one off fee  and in return get  a list of all the people living at a specific  address with full names and ages. As long as you know someone dob, & address that all you need to get away . 

That's an interesting suggestion. Maybe @Slimspider could try 192 and see whether her family's details might be available using that system.

It would certainly provide an alternative explanation – although I don't think it will have much relevance to trying to sort out the immediate problem although of course if the mystery woman is not known to the family, it might make it more difficult to discover her identity and put an end to it happening again in future

It is a little while since I have responded to matters of this nature on here, but I have been asked to take a look at this to see if there is anything that can be done to expedite a successful outcome for the OP in resolving this

One thing that strikes me immediately from a quick read through of the thread is that there is some very real misunderstandings in some of the suggestions made by some people who I realise are well meaning posters.

Until my retirement, my working life was as Prosecution Manager for multiple TOCs, these matters are not BTP cases, but I do realise that many who do not actually work in this field will not know that fact. It is often this confusion that makes it much more difficult to resolve matters promptly

Furthermore, talk of seeking compensation from the TOCs is extremely premature and the first thing that needs to be done is to recognise that offenders will have spoken to, usually a brief interview conducted in accordance with the Police & Criminal Evidence Act (1984) if the criminal offence of fare evasion is suspected by a trained inspector, or they may have been reported for a failure to produce a valid ticket to a Guard or Conductor resulting in an allegation of breach of Byelaw. These are two different offences, charged under different legislations and may be dealt with by the Courts in differing ways

I will read through the thread in more detail and respond again when I've assessed whether or not there is any more meaningful help that I can offer straight away

In the meantime, to the OP, please make sure that the Court are asked to re-open the conviction in your name, that a date is set for re-hearing and that you contact the train operating company concerned, NOT the BTP.

It is the TOC who will have brought the prosecution, BTP generally ONLY get involved in fares matters where there is another charge such as public order offences or major theft involving large sums.

To the OP, please feel free to PM me if you wish to provide more details that might help me to find you a quicker resolution IF that is possible at this stage.

Edited by Old-CodJA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

What's the latest on this, please?

On 08/12/2020 at 00:18, tlogic4 said:

I have a gut feeling that someone might of got your details from 192.com,  You can actually pay a one off fee  and in return get  a list of all the people living at a specific  address with full names and ages. As long as you know someone dob, & address that all you need to get away . 

Just to add for the benefit of anyone who reads this thread (I'm aware the OP may not return), the above is one of the reasons why everyone on the electoral roll should opt out of being on the open part of the register.  Easy enough to check when you renew your registration or just ask your local council.

(Although I think the perpetrator here is more likely to be someone known to the OP who holds some sort of grudge or perceives some slight on the OP's part - or one of the other victims)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...