• Tweets

• The case against the US-based ride-hailing giant is being brought on behalf of over 10,800 drivers.View the full article
    • I have just read the smaller print on their signs. It says that you can pay at the end of your parking session. given that you have ten minutes grace period the 35 seconds could easily have been taken up with walking back to your car, switching on the engine and then driving out. Even in my younger days when I used to regularly exceed speed limits, I doubt I could have done that in 35 seconds even when I  had a TR5.
    • Makers of insect-based animal feed hope to be able to compete with soybeans on price.View the full article
    • Thank you for posting up the results from the sar. The PCN is not compliant with the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule 4. Under Section 9 [2][a] they are supposed to specify the parking time. the photographs show your car in motion both entering and leaving the car park thus not parking. If you have to do a Witness Statement later should they finally take you to Court you will have to continue to state that even though you stayed there for several hours in a small car park and the difference between the ANPR times and the actual parking period may only be a matter of a few minutes  nevertheless the CEL have failed to comply with the Act by failing to specify the parking period. However it looks as if your appeal revealed you were the driver the deficient PCN will not help you as the driver. I suspect that it may have been an appeal from the pub that meant that CEL offered you partly a way out  by allowing you to claim you had made an error in registering your vehicle reg. number . This enabled them to reduce the charge to £20 despite them acknowledging that you hadn't registered at all. We have not seen the signs in the car park yet so we do not what is said on them and all the signs say the same thing. It would be unusual for a pub to have  a Permit Holders Only sign which may discourage casual motorists from stopping there. But if that is the sign then as it prohibits any one who doesn't have a permit, then it cannot form a contract with motorists though it may depend on how the signs are worded.
    • Defence and Counterclaim Claim number XXX Claimant Civil Enforcement Limited Defendant XXXXXXXXXXXXX   How much of the claim do you dispute? I dispute the full amount claimed as shown on the claim form.   Do you dispute this claim because you have already paid it? No, for other reasons.   Defence 1. The Defendant is the recorded keeper of XXXXXXX  2. It is denied that the Defendant entered into a contract with the Claimant. 3. As held by the Upper Tax Tribunal in Vehicle Control Services Limited v HMRC [2012] UKUT 129 (TCC), any contract requires offer and acceptance. The Claimant was simply contracted by the landowner to provide car-park management services and is not capable of entering into a contract with the Defendant on its own account, as the car park is owned by and the terms of entry set by the landowner. Accordingly, it is denied that the Claimant has authority to bring this claim. 4. In any case it is denied that the Defendant broke the terms of a contract with the Claimant. 5. The Claimant is attempting double recovery by adding an additional sum not included in the original offer. 6. In a further abuse of the legal process the Claimant is claiming £50 legal representative's costs, even though they have no legal representative. 7. The Particulars of Claim is denied in its entirety. It is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief at all. Signed I am the Defendant - I believe that the facts stated in this form are true XXXXXXXXXXX 01/05/2024   Defendant's date of birth XXXXXXXXXX   Address to which notices about this claim can be sent to you  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Backdoor Arrow/Drydens 2008 CCJ/CO - MBNA Card - , debt was already SB'd , **WON** set aside - Now being chased 12yrs later.!!

mandyjayne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 1202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Something to add to the defence possibly although you run the danger of the judge asking why you required them to re-send the same information to you if you received them in Jan and the claimant clearly stated this was your agreement. s.

Hi S. Thanks for looking im getting very confused here again... I CCA'd and SAR them they still have not produced a DEFAULT NOTICE, NOA or TN and they have not provided an enforcable CCA, just an application form.

mj

Edited by mandyjayne
spelling

CAG Depends Purely Upon Donations. Please help us to continue helping you, and give what you can - Thank you:grin:

Click to donate

Please click my scales, if you feel the need;)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to add to the defence possibly although you run the danger of the judge asking why you required them to re-send the same information to you if you received them in Jan and the claimant clearly stated this was your agreement. s.

Hi S. Thanks for looking im getting very confused here again... I CCA'd and SAR them they still have not produced a DEFAULT NOTICE, NOA or TN and they have not provided an enforcable CCA, just and application form.

mj

Ok if those documents were listed in para 3 of the original order then there are two options..

Ask for a strike out as they have not complied with the order still (application on N244, there will be a charge for this) or ensure you make the judge aware at the CMC hearing that this case cannot move forward until the documents that the claimant were ordered to provide have not been provided as per the courts order.

Filing a defence when you have not been given the full case that the claimant is relying on puts you at a disadvantage and ensures that there is no level playing field and that the over-riding objectives of the CPR are not being met.

Edit: Dont get caught up with the whole application/enforceable agreement bit... only a court can decide what is and what isnt enforceable so the fact that they have given disclosure of an application which they state is the executed agreement shouldnt be taken as them not providing the agreement as requested in the CPR IMO.

Just my opinions as ever....

S.

Hi s.

thanks again, ok do i fill out the N244 and send to court before next thursdays cmc or take it with me?

If i take your option 2 am i write that i need do nothing in reply to their case summary/draft directions?

And i wont get caught up with relying on that one point re the application form...although every little thing they get wrong should help me ...i hope!!:(

When i posted in july about this cmc everyone told me not to worry...its easy...im not so sure;)

MJ

CAG Depends Purely Upon Donations. Please help us to continue helping you, and give what you can - Thank you:grin:

Click to donate

Just a recap this is the order...they were supposed to have complied to:

Before district judge ***** sitting at ****county court

IT IS ORDERED THAT

1. Unless by 4PM on 22nd May 2009 the claimant provides the documents requested by the defendant pursuant to paragraph 3 of the order dated 11th March 2009, the claim be struck out.

2. The time for filing of the defence be extended until 4pm on 5th June 2009.

Dated 28th April 2009.

Due to the non compliance i sent a letter to the judge saying i would not be filing a defence as the claim according to the order should be struck out.

They did eventually send me a photocopied application form, ts & cs with the new £12 charge on (this CC was issued in 2000) no DN, NOA or TN.

They sent these to me through normal post and they arrived 26th May, the cover letter on these docs was dated the 22nd May, (this was a bank holiday weekend) so they were written the day they should have been with me.

Everytime they have been asked to produce these docs this is all they send me the first lot on the 6th January 09 second lot on the 6th March...but let me type a paragraph from their case summary:

10. On the 22nd May 2009 a witness statement enclosing the relevant documentation was served on the defendant and sent to the court by fax. The claimant confirms that the information provided was only received by them, from the original creditor, ON THAT SAME DAY and we apologised for any inconvenience caused.

Well that is a big fat lie cause they sent me those things back in Jan

MJ:)

Just posting this again as a recap of the order

Click to donate

MJ, at the very bottom of the post linked below, you will find a Draft Order for Directions.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/show-post/post-2455482.html

Please do not blindly copy it.. amend it to suit your particular circumstances. HTH

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks shadow and citizen B...

ok found the draft order and amended...what do i do with it now!??:D

Send to court or mortimer clarke or take with me next thursday or all three!!

Sorry for all these questions

Click to donate

Thanks shadow and citizen B...

ok found the draft order and amended...what do i do with it now!??:D

Send to court or mortimer clarke or take with me next thursday or all three!!

Sorry for all these questions

Hi MJ, no doubt Citb will be along later with better advice....

Attach the draft to the N244 application form, in the main box on the N244(what are you asking the court to do) put something similar to:-

The defendant respectfully requests that the court issue the attached draft order for disclosure of documents not yet disclosed but ordered for disclosure already under court order dated xx/xx/xxxx. The defendant asks that the claim be struck out if the attached draft order is not complied with.

Needs to be sent to the court along with a cheque, they will pass to the judge who will either deny/allow the order

S.

• Haha 1

On the N244 there is a space on page one toward the bottom that asks "who should be served with this application"

You put there who you want a copy to go to..

You take 3 copies to the court along with the filing fee.. the court will send one back to you. Keep one for themselves and serve the other on the solicitors of the company who are taking you to court.

If the hearing is next Thursday, then you need to get it in PDQ

• Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you, i take it this needs to be done asap, before the cmc meeting a week today?

Click to donate

On the N244 there is a space on page one toward the bottom that asks "who should be served with this application"

You put there who you want a copy to go to..

You take 3 copies to the court along with the filing fee.. the court will send one back to you. Keep one for themselves and serve the other on the solicitors of the company who are taking you to court.

If the hearing is next Thursday, then you need to get it in PDQ

Thank you, i take it this needs to be done asap, before the cmc meeting a week today?

Yep.. if you are able to take it to the court personally.. do it tomorrow.

BCOBS

ok on the N244 things i dont know...

Q. 5 how do i want this application dealt with? at a hearing or without a hearing?

Q. 6 how long will the hearing last?

Q.10 What evidence will you be relying on in support of your application - witness statement, statement of case or evidence set out below...

This is what is have put as Q.3

The defendant respectfully requests that the court issue the attached draft order for disclosure of documents not yet disclosed but ordered for disclosure twice already under court orders dated 11th March 2009 and the 28th April 2009. The defendant asks that the claim be struck out if the attached draft order is not complied with.

Is this ok????

MJ

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

ok on the N244 things i dont know...

Q. 5 how do i want this application dealt with? at a hearing or without a hearing?

Best at a hearing

Q. 6 how long will the hearing last?

30 minutes ?

Q.10 What evidence will you be relying on in support of your application - witness statement, statement of case or evidence set out below...

This is up to you. If you can fit everything in the box provided then use the "evidence below" box.

If not, or you will be introducing documentary evidence then use the "witness statement" box

The defendant respectfully requests that the court issue the attached draft order for disclosure of documents not yet disclosed but ordered for disclosure twice already under court orders dated 11th March 2009 and the 28th April 2009. The defendant asks that the claim be struck out if the attached draft order is not complied with.

Is this ok????

MJ

Yep, that looks ok.

BCOBS

Form EX160 can be downloaded from HERE

HTH

BCOBS

thanks all will be taking this to court tomorrow

mj

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

Hello all getting a bit jittery with this now

should i change the answer in question 3. on N244 to:

An order (a draft of which is attached) that the Claimants Claim be struck out (pursuant to rule 3.4(2)© CPR and judgment entered for the Defendant because the Claimant has failed to provide the documents as ordered by District Judge XXXXXXXXXX in accordance with the court order dated

Originally wrote this:

Advise soon please as i hope to go this morning

thanksMJ

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

If there have been 2 breaches/non compliance of prev orders then you should not be asking again !

The new wording reads as one order ????????

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Martin

what do i do in that case? im not sure what you mean??

yes it was taken from an earlier post of mine with ref: to the first non compliance, so clearly i cant use that as its written, i understand, would need to re-word!

But are you saying i should not be asking again, so not to submit this N244, i have been advised to get this in ASAP as the cmc hearing is on Thursday of next week...can you tell me what i need to do???

MJ

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

I was meaning that they should not be given another chance to comply if they have breached the court orders twice already-yes of course you should be asking for a S/O

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Not understanding, sorry...to be thick... so n244 for a strike out and nothing else! if this is correct how do i word the N244

I am completely lost now and am cr***ing myself...

MJ

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

So this is ok for question 3 of the 244 for strike out...yes??? what do then put in the draft to be attached or do i take that bit out and not need one

An order (a draft of which is attached) that the Claimants Claim be struck out (pursuant to rule 3.4(2)© CPR and judgment entered for the Defendant because the Claimant has failed to provide the documents as ordered by District Judge XXXXXXXXXX in accordance with the court order dated

Click to donate

Sorry MJ was on phone for 25 mins-Will ask one of team to take a peek-am still on phone.

Yes you are on right lines here tho.

Have just found this by x20 on guzzle guts thread seems to explain pretty much whats happened with me

Guz

Let's see if I've got this straight. You have filed an application (N244 plus fee right?) to strike your opponent out on the grounds that it had failed to give disclosure in compliance with an order of the court. (this part i obviously am tryin to sort now) The hearing of your application is to coincide with a CMC next Tuesday (my cmc is next thursday)when the court will give case management directions.

I also take it that the opponent has still not complied with the order? What excuse does the opponent offer?

My view is that as part of the case management directions, unless it has already done so, the court will make an 'unless order'. That is, an order which says, in terms:

'Unless the opponent complies with the order of (date) by giving disclosure of (desacription of document) to GG by 4:00pm on (date) the Particulars of Claim shall stand stand struck out and the claim dismissed and (GG) shall be at liberty without further order of the court, to apply for judgment upon his defence and for his costs of the case to be paid by (the opponent) to be assessed on the standard basis if not agreed.' (my last order was an "unless" order)

For reasons which will be obvious therefore, I doubt the court has already made an unless order because if the opponent was already in breach of an unless order there wouldn't be any need for you to apply the court to strike out.

A failure to comply with the unless order is where the PF85A comes in.(what is this??)

I'd go to court armed with a statement of costs which I had served on the opponent not less than 24 hours before the hearing. Assuming the court makes an order against the opponent upon your application, ask the judge to award you the costs of the application and present your costs statement to enable him to summarily assess those costs.

If the court strikes out the claim at the hearing, ask the court to award you the costs of the case to be paid by the opponent to be assessed on the standard basis if not agreed. Those costs will, as you know, be subject to litigant in person limitations.

A skeleton argument ought not to be necessary on an application to strike out or for a sanction owing to a failure to give disclosure pursuant to a court order. It's factual and usually uncomplicated. There has either been compliance or there hasn't. Your application notice ought to have included a built-in or separate supporting witness statement exhibiting any documents you intended to rely on. The only occasion I would expect you to want to rely on a second or subsidiary witness statement would be where some witness statement had been filed in opposition which you wished to answer.

At the CMC the court will probavbly bolt on some directions which will flow on from the opponent's compliance with the order dealing with disclosure. Typically the directions will involve standard disclosure of documents, whether expert evidence is to be admitted and if so the form of that evidence, the exchange of lay witness statements of fact, and arrangements for trial.

x20

forumbox_top_left.gifforumbox_top_tile.gifforumbox_top_right.gifforumbox_left_tile.gifclose.gif What are your rights at work Follow this link to read the review of the Guide to your Rights at

Edited by mandyjayne

Click to donate

So they have complied partially but not fully to the court orders.

Therefore I would suggest this;

The defendant respectfully asks the Court to issue the attatched draft by way of order,in consideration of documents previously ordered for disclosure on ............ but not fully complied with.

The defendant additionally respectfully requests there be consideration to strike out the claim pursuant to CPR 3.4 (2)c on the basis that the previous orders of ............ have not been fully complied with.

I take it that the amended draft that you have done will support both above ?